Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oh Sees - Face Stabber

Started by non capisco, August 16, 2019, 11:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Another half year, another new Oh Sees album! This one's actually pretty terrific though. Dwyer's taken that vaguely proggy direction they were going in with the last album and applied more confidence and conviction with it. The first track 'The Daily Heavy' starts with what sounds like a load of squeaky dog toys being used as a bed of percussion and then builds to a groove, accentuated by a robot saying "BUP BUP" at occasional intervals. It's both hypnotic and sort of hilarious. 'Scutum and Scorpius' sounds so much like Focus you're waiting for yodelling throughout. 'Poisoned Stones' has a beautiful dive-bomb guitar effect that reminded me of nothing less than Grace Jones' cover of The Normal's 'Warm Leatherette'. There's a 20 minute closer peppered with saxophones that I played three times in a row on my own on the late shift at work.

Discuss the new album and whatever general Oh Sees chat you want to throw in, if you fancy. They're the band I've seen live probably the most times in my life, it's either them or Deerhunter at least. It's always a party but the last few times have been a bit like going to see the Rolling Stones, they've done a load of crowd pleasers off 'Carrion Crawler' and 'Floating Coffin' then one off the new release somewhere in the middle. 'I Come From The Mountain' was becoming their 'Start Me Up'. Kicking off the set with this one again, John boy? Closing with a ridiculously extended version of 'The Dream', you say? (Not complaining, that always fucking rules). With this album I'd be happy if they just played it in its entirety front to back for a change.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, I always love seeing them play "The Dream". Undoubtedly one of their best songs. We've discussed this before but the droning keyboard on that whole album is so fucking good.

I still haven't got around to Smote Reverser because I couldn't be arsed after hearing everyone else's take on it being underwhelming, and they're a band with such a high output rate that I'm happy to just sit one out and wait for twenty minutes until the next one comes out. Just belting through the new Blanck Mass album at the moment and will be sticking this new one on after. I don't really intend to leave my room today.

alan nagsworth

This is ace, wasn't expecting this at all.

non capisco

Goldentony

this is the best Oh Sees album. It's absolutely beyond comprehension how this late on and so many records in they or he have/has this in them/him. Together Tomorrow sounds like fucking Mahavishnu Orchestra doing the snooker theme tune.

studpuppet

I love it - it's like Mutilator Defeated At Last in that there seem to be at least three different bands playing on the same album.

Crabwalk

You know how exciting and hypnotic the dual-drummers are live? I think this record really captures that.