Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:26:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mazza Kazza

Started by The Boston Crab, August 17, 2019, 10:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
For me, as much as I enjoy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and think that it's probably technically the best Mario Kart game you could play at this point, packed with courses and content and loads of gorgeous chaos, I never loved any of them beyond the first Super Mario Kart.

That was the one which felt tightest, twistiest, racingest and most fun both in SP and MP. No Battle Mode has ever compared to SMK. In terms of the basic racing as well, I think they lost a lot by making it more like a driving game with long straights and stuff. SMK almost always had some ninety degree or 270 degree bend every couple of seconds. The sliding felt best there and the reverse hopping out of a slide to straighten yourself out is one of the best feelings in any control system.

I played a lot of MK DS which was excellent but a bit broken with the boosting, kind of ruined it once I worked that out. Amazing fun in a way but it felt unintended.

MK 64 and DD I didn't play so much because they felt like shit.

MK Wii was the refinement of the new form of MK and I have some fond memories but it's not MK as I always remembered it.

MK8D is fantastic but doesn't particularly excite me, never did. The best fun I had with it was with some mates online once, I think Cane and Rinse community stuff, maybe Kelvin joined for that one too, I'm sure I advertised it here. Anyway, that's that.

I heard Super Circuit is great. My wife actually has a GBA with Super Circuit but I'm not motivated to turn it on.

And you, buddies?

Bazooka

I don't think MK SNES and 64 hold up well today at all, as I mentioned before Diddy Kong Racing pukes on MK64. But all of the newer gen ones are great, I played 7 until my thumbs fell off, although the hackers ruined online play.

PlanktonSideburns

never got the appeal of Mcmario Mckartface, always felt a bit slow compared to crash bandicoot racing, fzerox, even supertuxcart pantses it. maybe mario came first so its not a fair comparison. i dont care, its slow. SLOW!

Y'all ever heard of 150CC bro? Or 200CC bro?

It's not about just going fast, though. Never played Crash Racing. I always assumed it was some peasant tier shit like Crash Bandicoot.

Dex Sawash

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 17, 2019, 11:31:38 AM
Y'all ever heard of 150CC bro? Or 200CC bro?

It's not about just going fast, though. Never played Crash Racing. I always assumed it was some peasant tier shit like Crash Bandicoot.

nah its a good racer, worth a go

might download tuxracer right now actually, see how thats getting on

Kelvin

Mario Kart is odd in that all the games seem good at the time, but you later realise they were basically shit. Maybe Double Dash holds up better, I could imagine it does, but SNES, 64, Wii, they all just look and play like sticky shit nowadays. Wii U / Deluxe are great, and maybe they've endured because Nintendo made more of an effort to make them look really good - even now, the Wii U graphics for Deluxe are among the best on Switch - but I suppose that, because they're all basically the same game, it's fairly hard for me to go back to older ones once a new shinier, more polished version is out.

They're McDonald's gaming, basically; addictive, appealing, seems like a good idea at the time, but with fuck all content or substance and completely forgettable until you drive past another one*.

*see a trailer at E3

PlanktonSideburns

Any supertuxracer fans on here? There's a new version with multilayer online available now

Sounds like some pc kind of thing.

Ferris

MarioKart Wii has yet to be bettered. Incredible game.

I never got on with MK8, ended up giving my Wii U away because I never played it and have a Switch now (which I also never play).

Twed

First one, Wii and 8 are the best.

I hate 64, ugly and plodding.

Jerzy Bondov

Double Dash is the best one. I was really good at that one.

madhair60

SNES Mario Kart is the only one without Blue Shell and consequently the only good one.

CTR is better than every Mario Kart combined and tripled

Twed

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on August 17, 2019, 05:38:27 PM
SNES Mario Kart is the only one without Blue Shell and consequently the only good one.

Genuinely wrong on every level. Impressive.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on August 17, 2019, 05:38:27 PM

And supertuxcart is better than that and fzerox I'd better than all of them

You get to ride a pipe as a guitar solo happens

madhair60

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 17, 2019, 06:25:29 PM
Genuinely wrong on every level. Impressive.

It is the only one without the blue shell, you stupid wanker.

Also I'd like to change my vote anyway because I did think 8 was really good, it's still piss poor compared to kart games that are actually about skilful driving (i.e. the original, Sonic and All-Stars Racing, Crash Team Racing), but it is the best of a bad lot.

Sin Agog

Mario Kart DS has some of the best single player stuff, what with a sort of adventure mode where you pull off various challenges before fighting bosses.  From what I've played of it, MK8 kinda skimps out on single player options.

madhair60

I apologise for calling FWB a stupid wanker.

biggytitbo

BC Racers was better than all of them.

Twed

biggytitbo

I remember Todd and his mate in Neighbours had an Amiga and were playing 'Wings' in one episode then they were both naked and Helen walked in and saw their nobs.

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on August 17, 2019, 08:33:43 PM
I apologise for calling FWB a stupid wanker.

I accept your apology, although I will now harbour a grudge for (essentially) forever.

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 17, 2019, 09:16:46 PM
I remember Todd and his mate in Neighbours had an Amiga and were playing 'Wings' in one episode then they were both naked and Helen walked in and saw their nobs.
I remember Billy got a CD for his birthday but it was a CD for the PC game Magic Carpet and he said "I can't play this, I do not have a PC!" and then Karl said "well maybe you can play it on your BRAND NEW BIRTHDAY PC THEN!".

Non Stop Dancer

I remember when Todd got addicted to, I think, Ghouls and Ghosts down the arcade.

Non Stop Dancer

And when Neighbours was my primary source of wank-fodder. The trick was to scout for suitable scenes at 1.30 and tune in again at 5.30 with your nob ready for that 10 seconds of Analise in a bra or something.

Twed

Still can't believe Libby Kennedy grew up to be Brandy Taylor

Non Stop Dancer

I swear 100% that I once convinced an admittedly credulous individual that Libby Kennedy was the Libby who owned Libby's of Um Bongo fame.