Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What should go on the Nathan Barley DVD?

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, March 21, 2005, 04:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you buy a Nathan Barley DVD?

Yes, because I loved the series
25 (25.8%)
Probably, because I'm a Morris completist...but, even then, only if there are interesting extras on it
37 (38.1%)
No, I hated the series and would have no interest in a DVD
35 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: March 21, 2005, 10:24:34 PM

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: "alan strang"A specially-recorded commentary featuring a bunch of drugged-up piss-headed layabouts vaguely pointing towards the screen and saying "It'shh an analuh-gy..." every five minutes.

Or, if no-one from Talkback is available, they could use some homeless tramps instead.

Genius.

Anyway, being serious, a commentary, deleted scenes, outtakes, making-of featurette and the pilot shows.

Being sarcy, a 3 hour Morris interview explaining why he put bugger all real extras on the TDT/BE/JAM dvds and tonnes on the Barley DVD.

Which will happen, without the Morris interview.

mayer

Ummm... I'm not buying this unless it drops to around a fiver myself, but...

- An honest and frank commentary (even though I usually never bother with those) from Morris and Brooker.

- The entire thing, re-cut, with loads snipped out of it, loads put back in, as a humourous, well-edited 90 minute movie (if there's enough actual plot and jokes on the cutting room floor).

and

- A Series Two teaser......

kaprisky

- All of Morris and Whitehead's 'music'

- All of the "Write your own Barley episode" thread from Comedy Chat, used uncredited, and repackaged as a menu option labelled 'Series 2 Ideas!'

- A selection of alternative talkbackthames production credit idents (ie, talkbackthames/zeppotron name disguised with green and blue shit, etc)

- A Richard Ayoade Acting Masterclass featurette

- A playable 'Labour Party Conference' game

- Another option labelled 'Director CHRIS MORRIS' (a load of different captions featuring those letters, in that order)

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Slackboy"A commentary track from the CaB massive; I think that would be ace.
Why don't we just do one anyway? For a laugh. I'd be up for it. Especially if we can get tanked-up beforehand.

TJ

Quote from: "Neil"I'd also like to see a section where Martin Coxall and John Walker are made to eat their fucking words.

I'd buy the DVD if that was on it.

TJ

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"A sound bin. To put the DVD into.

Ha ha! Brilliant!

Jon_Norton

A gallery of old TVGH pages, so you can see how wildly different Nathan in this show is from his original source.

The very earliest version didn't even have anything to do with Hoxton or Shoreditch or anywhere near there. He lived in Westbourne Grove, which is in West London, and was a Guy Ritchie wannabe.

Jon_Norton

My other suggestion would be for a lots of comedy bignames to comment on how shit they thought it was, and how they've never thought Morris was funny in the first place, after being reassured that their faces and voices would be electronically distorted like in that trial in Birmingham. And with a CGI Chris Morris periodically appearing in the background, so the viewers at home can shout "HE'S BEHIND YOOOOU!!!!"

Purple Tentacle

I DON'T want Morris to do a commentary if he didn't do one for any of his others. He can fuck off, cunt.

I'd like a square DVD, or perhaps one in the shape of a cock.

Perhaps a gramme of cocaine hidden in the spine.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "bennyprofane"full 15peter promotional kit.

It's a safe bet that all those hilarious photos of Jamie Oliver etc. are going to turn up on it somewhere.

Lala, I know you dont like polls but would you mind adding one to this thread asking who's going to buy the dvd and including the option "i didnt like it but i'll buy it" because id be interested to know if people will or not. For the record I expect I will despite everything.

TraceyQ

Shouldnt you be at work?

For the record, I will be buying the DVD as I didnt watch a single episode all the way through because it bored me.

imitationleather

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "TraceyQ"

For the record, I will be buying the DVD as I didnt watch a single episode all the way through because it bored me.

Haha..isn't that not just the best reason not to buy the dvd though?

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Shouldnt you be at work?.

flu like symptoms, you know?

But i'll post instead.

I would certainly like/expect to find out more about the 'director' but also dont expect to. A perfectly weighted vitriolic slating of the hypocrits on this site that do actually decide to find out what he does on the DVD would be great. More Barley generally - more cringeworthy moments, more tit shalking it words and fucking hilarious forms of torture by NB on that office gimp bloke. What was NB like as a kid/student? there's loads of character to play with lots of 'idiots' to character-rape, increasingly so. I doubt they're short of material.

I like the way we need to point out the sarcastic suggestions.

or do i??

enough.

p.s. how long will I am not an animal DVD be £16 for roughly please?

no_offenc

A nice hot mug of tea.  Especially if your table is varnished, they can leave terrible stains.

Pepotamo1985

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Poll now added.

I can't help thinking that, even though I have an almost unconditional love of rushes/out-takes/pilots, footage of this kind from Nathan Barley would have really limited appeal. Can you think of anything more punchable than camcorder footage of Richard Ayoade corpsing into a coffee cup? Patrick Marber ina KMKYWAP improv session on the other hand...phwoar.

mayer

- strang's Season 2 trailer. And I'm being serious. It's every bit as good as Goitre. Someone should pass it on.

Mister Six

Yeah, but would Strang (and ELW10 or anyone else involved with it) agree to it if Morris asked for its inclusion on the trailer, unedited?

I'm serious, I'd love to hear the answer.

shykitten

what should go on it?

1. all the spoof intertexts as full screen versions.

2. a 'making of Claire' animation similar to the digital dog bit in 'My Wrongs' to show how this character was constructed, made to talk and simulate various facial expressions.

3. a shovel for burying the show in the earth so it can be forgotten and then re-emerge in seventeen years as an 'underground hit' which has grown lots of imitators with their own transmittable pilots.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Darrell"Two hours of my life back.
Three, shurely?

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I DON'T want Morris to do a commentary if he didn't do one for any of his others.
I expect he'll do one now, just to piss everyone off.

Darrell

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Darrell"Two hours of my life back.
Three, shurely?

I didn't make it past ep 4. And as I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, even during that one I was murdering I'm Looking Through You on the guitar!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Darrell"I didn't make it past ep 4. And as I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, even during that one I was murdering I'm Looking Through You on the guitar!
I know what you mean - episodes 4 to 6 have been sitting on the Murdoch+ box ever since broadcast, quite quite unwatched.

I suppose I'll watch & tape them sometime soon though.  -ish.

alan strang

Quote from: "Darrell"[And as I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, even during that one I was murdering I'm Looking Through You on the guitar!

Sounds like a viable extra right there!

Darrell

Quote from: "alan strang"Sounds like a viable extra right there!

Are you sure the general public is ready for something even WORSE than Nathan Barley?!

It must be mentioned that I can neither play guitar or sing. I'm fooling no-one.

alan strang

Quote from: "Darrell"It must be mentioned that I can neither play guitar or sing. I'm fooling no-one.

Well if nothing else it could be like the modern-day equivilent of Neil Innes' version of the Flying Circus sig from Series 4 Python.

Rats

QuoteIt must be mentioned that I can neither play guitar or sing
It's never stopped me, go on, let's hear you