Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,208
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:13:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What should go on the Nathan Barley DVD?

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, March 21, 2005, 04:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you buy a Nathan Barley DVD?

Yes, because I loved the series
25 (25.8%)
Probably, because I'm a Morris completist...but, even then, only if there are interesting extras on it
37 (38.1%)
No, I hated the series and would have no interest in a DVD
35 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: March 21, 2005, 10:24:34 PM

Bernie

Definitely wouldn't want to see an in-character commentary on there, has anyone heard the Alan Partridge one on the series 1 dvd?  it is terrible, "hmmm....yeah.........hmmm".

phmc

Being a completist by nature I'd have to buy the DVD regardless, although that's not to say that obsession would compel me to do so.

I did actually enjoy the series despite being convinced for months beforehand that I would hate it - probably as a result of spending too much time on CaB. Then again, I enjoyed the Office so I'm a right fucking prole and me and the Nathan Barley DVD will undoubtedly deserve each other.

As for extras.. the usual selection box would do for me  - outtakes, deleted scenes, commentary, behind the scenes footage. I'd quite like to see a few cast interviews in there too.

Paul Dee

QuoteAs for extras.. the usual selection box would do for me - outtakes, deleted scenes, commentary, behind the scenes footage. I'd quite like to see a few cast interviews in there too

What do you think the chances of getting these are though, given the previous dvd's we've had by Morris? The amount of extra seems inversely proportional to how much of 'his' project the show is.

phmc

Quote from: "Paul Dee"
QuoteAs for extras.. the usual selection box would do for me - outtakes, deleted scenes, commentary, behind the scenes footage. I'd quite like to see a few cast interviews in there too

What do you think the chances of getting these are though, given the previous dvd's we've had by Morris? The amount of extra seems inversely proportional to how much of 'his' project the show is.

I suppose it depends on what extra footage there is to use in the first place. It's hard to tell whether Morris actively pursues a policy of minimal extras on DVDs or whether he just isn't willing to put the work in to any extra "bits". "Anyone who lists these needs boiling" type comments suggests he has some sort of rabid DVD Extra agenda.

Paul Dee

QuoteI suppose it depends on what extra footage there is to use in the first place. It's hard to tell whether Morris actively pursues a policy of minimal extras on DVDs or whether he just isn't willing to put the work in to any extra "bits

Hm..I don't know though. The BrassEye dvd was a great example of how he missed the opportunity for a greatly presented dvd. He put a few extra clips on, but as we've seen from the Torque TV pilot that fantastically did the rounds sometime last year there was so much more he could have done in the way of deleted scenes. The same with the trailers for that dvd - he just put a handful on when you'd have thought he'd might as well have put them all on. Maybe it is just laziness. I just have this suspicion that he finds the idea of dvd extras a bit disdainful somehow. The sarcastic Jam extras spring to mind as a good example of this.

It just got me thinking, because your selection of anticipated extras seemed quite reasonable really, and yet I doubt we'll get more than 6 episodes, 2 trailers and a framed photograph of Nicholas Burns picking his nose, with all of the colours inverted.

I don't even think the greatest extras would get me to buy this anyway though. Someone said earlier in this thread that for a lot of people who thought the show a bit shite, behind-the-scenes footage of the Boosh and Richard Ayoade and that other monkey really wouldn't be that much to look at, and I have to agree with that.

I think the only extra which would make me think twice would be a Morris commentary, and I can't really see that happening.

Clerk

Along the similiar lines to the drunk commentary on one of the other morris dvds, how about paying one to get very pissed indeed and then pissing on the scripts while singing `you`ll never walk alone`

TotalNightmare

As much as this programme generates talk in this here forum.... i don't know what i will do if i see yet another thread start up about NB... i mean, what next?

Is Nathan Barley Worth Talking About?

My Nathen Barley Baiting Thread

Did Barley Cause You To Rethink Your Whole Existance?

I Just Touched a Girl, Would Nathan Barley Agree?

I Hate Nathan Barley More Than You.

I Like Nathan Barley More Than You.

Chris Morris Should Die for Nathan Barley.

My Family Are All Dead. Will Nathan Barley Get A 2nd Series?

Pinball

One thing I like about the Dr Who DVDs is when they include archival news footage. That would've been superb for Brass Eye! All that media paedosteria captured for posterity. Oh the irony :-)

As for Nathan Barley, I'll buy the DVD 'cos I'm a completist, but by jingo it was a shite series. Is satirising the stupid a good idea? How can "stoopid satire" ever be clever / enjoyable? For me, NB was like childrens' playground jokes - enthusiastic but generally unfunny and embarrassing to watch.

Incidentally, the series seemed to really rip the piss out of Net heads/fans. That's us, that is. We're just, like, sooooo stoopid and unthinking.

Particle Man

Quote from: "Pinball"Incidentally, the series seemed to really rip the piss out of Net heads/fans. That's us, that is. We're just, like, sooooo stoopid and unthinking.

Do you think it was aimed at something like this? There was no comic-book-store style guy in it or anything. The websites parodied were very flash-animation-y-trendy-prank-stupidness sites and the only "fans" he seemed to have a go at were the ones who just aped and praised everything their heroes do... hardly CaB.

Unless Neil and TJ are planning to do Barley/Pingu style pranks on each other and film them.

Jon_Norton

One thing the DVD must have is a sticker reading: "Class. Sheer class."

Spiney Norman

I want my 50ft plutonium bum that was promised but not delivered on the Jam DVD.

Dan

Jon_Norton

It's now April 1st. Time to mail out that fake C4 press release saying that Christopher Eccleston has confirmed he'll play Dan in the 2nd series of Nathan Barley.

hands cold, liver warm

when would anyone ever think to themselves "I know what will be fun, I'll pop on my Nathan Barley DVD"

never going to happen

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Jon_Norton"It's now April 1st. Time to mail out that fake C4 press release saying that Christopher Eccleston has confirmed he'll play Dan in the 2nd series of Nathan Barley.

ROSE REACTS

phmc

Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"when would anyone ever think to themselves "I know what will be fun, I'll pop on my Nathan Barley DVD"

never going to happen

I've taped the series and have watched each episode three or four times. It definitely happened. I was there. If and when it comes out on DVD I'll enjoy watching it then too. Even if I end up watching it so many times that I get bored of it , I'm going to keep watching just to prove you wrong.

Maybe then you'll understand.

Tsk.

Neil

Isn't it interesting how Morris isn't quite so cynical about DVD extras when he's putting out a show that noone gives a flying fuck about?!

Go With The Flow

What we get is...

* A host of bizarre extras in true Chris Morris style
   * Non-transmittable pilot (45 minutes)
   * Outtakes
   * Photo gallery
   * DVD games
   * Interactive menus
   * Scene selection

MORE LIKE NATHAN BARELY LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "cool_penguin_0"
   * Non-transmittable pilot (45 minutes)

Is this a reference to his Blue Jam monologue when his My Wrongs character tells a tramp he's got a transmittable pilot, and the tramp says "serves you right, you fucking poof."?

* Interactive menus
   * Scene selection

Oooh monsieur, you are spoiling us!

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
   * Interactive menus
   * Scene selection
Oooh monsieur, you are spoiling us!

I never get why people count these as "special extras" - they're on like 90% (made up figure) of DVDs now anyway.

Even "photo gallery" is a bit crap.

Purple Tentacle

What is a menu that ISN'T interactive anyway?  The whole phrase is a nonsense.

It just reminds me of that Jack Dee routine he did about going into a restaurant and them listing orange juice as a "luxury starter".

"Where did you get that this time of year??"

fudgemonkey

Here are some fudgemonkey suggestions, OH MY LEGS ARE ON FIRE!

The full series and pilot from the DVD are all I'd keep from the issue.

Ideally one of the features would be a filmed apology from Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris to the viewers who tuned in only to find it was not funny.

A commentary from an outraged viewer( like the drug dealer Brass Eye commentary)

A gallery of the reviews from the Daily Mail praising it.

A taster of the new, cringingly unfunny second series.

The whole series being watched a la Jaaam distorted through Peter Baynham's glasses.

Oh, and the entire cast singing HAppy BirthdaY TO MY AN WHO THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY BUT HAD BEEN MORE SHOCKED BY HER 80 YEAR OLD FRIENDS!

Neil

Quote from: "cool_penguin_0"What we get is...

No, it's more than that now, they're even giving away little books!  (shit from the series and Twin Tower gags.)  I'm half expecting there to be a coupon inside which you can redeem for a blowjob from Morris himself.  I mean, I want good extras on DVDs in general, but this just makes me more irritated at the way the Brass Eye DVD was treated.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Neil"I mean, I want good extras on DVDs in general, but this just makes me more irritated at the way the Brass Eye DVD was treated.
To be fair though, that was his first DVD, and the extras have steadily improved since then.

Papercut

The DVD is meant to come with a booklet called 'Fucking With Your Head Yeah?', supposedly by the man himself.

There is also an alternate audio track on one episode with everyone dubbed into different accents.

Pictures of the book here, and some more info:

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?p=631208

I think the 'Non-transmittable pilot' idea comes from the media rumour that half a million was blown on the pilot and it was so bad that it had to be scrapped.

butnut

That's still not going to persuade me to buy it though! Thanks for the link Papercut.

Neil

Ha, they didn't like Nathan Barley either!  Another extra they don't mention is "Newly recorded excerpts from Barley's internet radio show."  There's a TVGoHome gallery, a photo gallery, hidden extras.  We've only seen the book so far and it's shit.  Oh, and you know the rules for cock/muff/bumhole?  The ones they didn't intend to be funny in any way whatsoever, and which I COMPLETELY missed the point of (apparently)?  Well they're in there too.

Quote from: "Papercut"I think the 'Non-transmittable pilot' idea comes from the media rumour that half a million was blown on the pilot and it was so bad that it had to be scrapped.

That's interesting.  I've been trying to work out if a lot of the sloppiness was a result of them being almost forced to make some use of the pilot.  They reuse a lot of it.  I'm also trying to work out if there's any truth in this rumour about there being two pilots...okay this might sound silly but I'll say it anyway!  There are bits in the pilot which were't reused and they make me wonder if they come from an earlier version of the pilot.  Why do I think this?  Well, because Nathan is wearing those twatty glasses.  That seems to really date bits of it to me..I could be wrong though, and I did say it was silly, although I was right about the hairdresser footage being taken from the pilot (the trike gave that away).  Anyway, I'm sure there's nowt in it, I was just tryig to figure out where another pilot could have come into things.