Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:18:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

R.I.P. Richard Williams

Started by SavageHedgehog, August 18, 2019, 10:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageHedgehog

Very inspiring figure to me  Genuinely quite gutted even though he lived a long, full life and, to be honest, he came across pretty badly in the Persistence of Vision documentary on The Thief and the Cobbler.

idunnosomename

yeah surprised not more about this actually. the animation in thief and the cobbler is some of the greatest ever made, no hyperbole, even if it doesn't drive much of a story if we're honest. and of course it's vanishingly obscure because you have to watch the recobbled cut of bits of workprints, storyboard and bits of dire fred calvert filler rather than a finished product.

Even if he's just remembered for Roger Rabbit's animation direction, that's enough of a legacy.

Keebleman

Here's a short video about The Thief and the Cobbler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6mbXRD-U74

Any idea where Persistence Of Vision can be found?

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Keebleman on August 19, 2019, 12:10:49 AM
Here's a short video about The Thief and the Cobbler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6mbXRD-U74

Any idea where Persistence Of Vision can be found?

I never found it online and eventually (this year) ordered the 2-Disc DVD from the director himself on Etsy. It was fairly expensive for a 2-disc dvd set of a single film, but worth it if you're sufficiently interested.

NoSleep

A link here to the most recent recobbled version (in several formats) and more (interviews, scripts, etc): http://orangecow.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3

It's a 176 page thread by the recobbler, Gareth Gilchrist, and ends with an obituary for Williams.

Also worth noting is Williams' animation masterclass series of 16 DVDs entitled The Animator's Survival Kit.

madhair60

Unfortunately Richard Williams has been cancelled due to his drawing of sexy ladies

idunnosomename

I saw Persistence of Vision at the Barbican when they had an animation exhibition.

Good but not something i'd want to own really

SavageHedgehog

Not saying this would swing you, but for information for interested parties the DVD does come with the workprint of Thief from the last day he worked on it and some other nice extras, although I think a lot of them (possibly including the workprint) are on YouTube etc.

Chriddof

[edit - misunderstood something like an idiot]

NoSleep

Yeh, not that Richard Williams.

Chriddof

No, I knew which Richard Williams it was, I just got confused over something to do with the "Thief" workprint.

Glebe

I remember seeing him talking about The Thief and the Cobbler on an old South Bank Show about Disney... still not actually watch the TTatC workprint that's online. In any case, RIP.

marquis_de_sad

I love his version of A Christmas Carol.