Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:26:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Owen Jones attacked [split topic]

Started by king_tubby, August 17, 2019, 04:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2019, 09:23:48 PM

What is it based on though? Owen Jones could find a far right plot in a cloud formation so when he gets clobbered whilst everyone is staggering out of a pub at 3am he may have jumped to conclusions. I like Owen Jones but in fairness to him he's the kind of man a drunken twat might want to punch outside a pub without there been any coherent political motivation behind it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/owen-jones-attack-political-motivations-left-wing-journalist-islington-london-a9064251.html You have an incredibly selective sense of skepticism, btw.

king_tubby

Fucking hell lads, if you think a Nazi getting some milkshake on them is bad, wait until you hear about World War 2! You'll shit your tits right off.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 18, 2019, 07:28:03 PM
Quantick is one of these too. Called him 'Squealer' just yesterday in a since-deleted tweet ('Squealer' being the chosen nickname for Jones from his right wing enemies).

Quantick's a fucking bellend. I lost any respect for him when he tweeted 'TWAT' at some bloke for replying to his guardian journo mate (some ginger woman, can't remember her name - i know this makes me sound like the arsehole) for saying 'why is it so important a woman's at the helm, rather than actual progressive policy?' when she penned an article saying we should all throw our weight behind Yvette Cooper. This was around the time Corbyn got voted in and she was nicking his ideas.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 18, 2019, 09:42:55 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/owen-jones-attack-political-motivations-left-wing-journalist-islington-london-a9064251.html You have an incredibly selective sense of skepticism, btw.

Quote"I've had evidence since, which I can't discuss... which suggests political motivations."

Sounds convincing, but it's a secret! Owen might well turn out to be correct but it's not clear why he's so sure when nobody even knows who it was.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2019, 09:51:39 PM
Sounds convincing, but it's a secret! Owen might well turn out to be correct but it's not clear why he's so sure when nobody even knows who it was.
So do you think he's lying or not?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2019, 08:33:25 PM
Obviously whoever did it it is a horrible thing to happen and unacceptable, but aren't they jumping to conclusions a bit that it's the 'far right'? What is that based on? A bunch of drunken twats at 3am spotted someone off the telly and had a pop at him, seems as likely an explanation without spinning off on some preconceived and useful narrative.

Who has done this? I know a few people found it funny when Farage got milkshaked, missing the point that in this day and age if someone throws a liquid on someone the victim is likely to be momentarily terrified it is an acid attack, which is actually horrible and potentially traumatising, so its not some funny trivial thing. This stuff is really easy, just condemn any politically motivated violence against whoever it is.

Yeah, maybe it was a good old-fashioned queer-bashing!

Owen didn't seem to think it was, though did he? He's probably in a better position to judge this.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2019, 09:51:39 PM

Do you know what the police are

Cuellar

hmmm

Getting a little concerned at the standard of the some of the posts in this thread. I think the general standard of posts has to increase.

Quite concerning.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 18, 2019, 09:34:47 PM
Sorry, what's specifically "punchable" about Owen Jones' face?

It's a mystery isn't it, but a lot of people seem to find him irritating and some of them aren't even actual Nazis!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on August 18, 2019, 09:55:52 PM
hmmm

Getting a little concerned at the standard of the some of the posts in this thread. I think the general standard of posts has to increase.

Quite concerning.

Some people really need to stop and ask themselves whether they think it's representative of their best work.

Cuellar

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2019, 09:55:57 PM

It's a mystery isn't it, but a lot of people seem to find him irritating and some of them aren't even actual Nazis!

To be honest it is a mystery

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 18, 2019, 09:57:02 PM
Some people really need to stop and ask themselves whether they think it's representative of their best work.

I think this as a post is fine, but it's verging dangerously on the flippant.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Cuellar on August 18, 2019, 09:55:52 PM
hmmm

Quite concerning.

At least no one's calling the Lib Dems left wing, so there's that.

idunnosomename

let's punch gay men off the telly in the face and move on everyone

chveik

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 18, 2019, 09:59:45 PM

get a grip

Zetetic

Do we know why some people don't punch Owen Jones?

Cuellar

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 18, 2019, 09:59:45 PM

Is this about me telling you to ram it up your cunt? Because I do regret that.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 18, 2019, 09:54:22 PM

Yeah, maybe it was a good old-fashioned queer-bashing!

Owen didn't seem to think it was, though did he? He's probably in a better position to judge this.

Yes, its true when you get punched out of the blue by complete strangers their motivations pass via psychic projection through their fists into your mind.

Nothing Jones has said about this incident actually explain why he thinks it was a far right attack, he can't even quote anything any of them said. Maybe there were visual clues - where they dressed in Nazi uniforms for instance, that would be a dead giveaway?

Funcrusher

Quote from: Cuellar on August 18, 2019, 10:01:49 PM
Is this about me telling you to ram it up your cunt?

I think it's more about your serial hurr durring. That comment from you was about you discovering that being the recipient of hurr durr one liners rather than the deliverer wasn't to your liking.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2019, 10:04:14 PM

Yes, its true when you get punched out of the blue by complete strangers their motivations pass via psychic projection through their fists into your mind.

Nothing Jones has said about this incident actually explain why he thinks it was a far right attack, he can't even quote anything any of them said. Maybe there were visual clues - where they dressed in Nazi uniforms for instance, that would be a dead giveaway?
What balance of interests is being protected in assuming he's lying?

Urinal Cake

It's sorta amazing that the people against facists, racists etc are being seen as part of the problem in the Western World.

I guess people on the left are supposed to be punching bags for nutters. Gandhi, MLK etc ruined it for everybody.

idunnosomename

Ah yes it was probably some harmless homophobes or mentally ill men who chased him out the pub and tried to kick his head in. nothing politically motivated at all!!!

by pre-meditated I think he assumed someone spotted him earlier in the night and planned to kick his head in when left the pub. not like a massive pincer operation planned for weeks. but he wasn't just punched on the streets. someone followed him about for the evening and launched an attack on him.

Zetetic

We've not seen any manifesto put forward by the people who 'punched' Owen Jones.

I think at this point, we have to assume that a series of physical interactions between objects have simply been accorded a status that they cannot bear.

Perhaps even that goes too far. All I can really say is that I've experienced some lights and sounds - what it pertains to, if anything, is speculation.

biggytitbo

I don't think he is lying, I just think there is a small, albeit obviously vanishingly unlikely billion to one chance, that he jumped to a conclusion from a random act of drunken violence that suits him.

Zetetic

I'm glad you've brought up this "obviously vanishingly unlikely" possibility.

Could it have been a solar flare? Obviously not, but I don't see why we shouldn't consider this.

sponk

Amazing that people are denying a potential link between minor political assaults like milkshaking and major ones like Jones being kicked. Quite bad things being tolerated and celebrated can lead to extremely bad things happening. The Mail / Express / Sun etc writing stories about Muslims being benefit scroungers and terrorists can lead to Muslims being attacked in the streets, would anyone deny that?

Cuellar

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 18, 2019, 10:05:40 PM
I think it's more about your serial hurr durring. That comment from you was about you discovering that being the recipient of hurr durr one liners rather than the deliverer wasn't to your liking.

I'd just like to say that I find it quite nice that I have this status as a 'one liner guy', feels like an identity. Like that's my 'thing'! Feels good, to have a thing.

edit: It's nice that you noticed is what I mean

biggytitbo

Quote from: Zetetic on August 18, 2019, 10:09:05 PM
We've not seen any manifesto put forward by the people who 'punched' Owen Jones.

I think at this point, we have to assume that a series of physical interactions between objects have simply been accorded a status that they cannot bear.

Perhaps even that goes too far. All I can really say is that I've experienced some lights and sounds - what it pertains to, if anything, is speculation.

Yeah, obviously when Conor McGregor punched that old bloke for no reason in a bar the other day that was actually a far right plot too, as there is no history of drunken men getting randomly violent cos someone 'looked at them funny' or anything.

king_tubby

You're right, that's exactly the same! Well done, have a biscuit.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2019, 10:04:14 PM

Bored of the Brexit threads now?