Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

State pension being raised to 75 [split topic]

Started by king_tubby, August 18, 2019, 10:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

idunnosomename

i honestly think IDS should be killed. think tank fucker. he must be fucking minted. bald bastard

jobotic

Hats off to IDS for coming up with this JUST BEFORE A FUCKING ELECTION.

king_tubby

Johnny Yesno

Twed

hamfist

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 19, 2019, 02:23:26 AM
Christ alive. This truly is the cuntiest government we've had in living memory.

QuoteIt suggests a system of "mid-life MOTs" for older staff, leading to flexible hours and special training for those who stay in work."

,,Yeah, your blood pressure is a bit high, we are reducing your salary to reflect that"

Gulftastic

Well, that's it. I've been a fat bugger my whole life, but I thought I might squeeze maybe 5 years of retirement.  Guess that dream is over.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 19, 2019, 07:16:30 AM
Well, that's it. I've been a fat bugger my whole life, but I thought I might squeeze maybe 5 years of retirement.  Guess that dream is over.

Look forward to spending more time alone in the stock cupboard. A new adventure awaits cleaning the staff toilets at 4am! All the fun of the photocopier!

Who needs retirement when work at 75 can be so much better for you.

YOUR GOVERNMENT, FOR YOU

VOTE CONSERVATIVE. IT'S THE ONLY RIGHT AND PROPER THING TO DO

BritishHobo

Are they not completely fucking themselves with this policy? Their voter base is traditionally older. They NEED the older generation, and yet here they are with a policy that will mean misery for the future oldies, will completely remove the security that people like that vote Tory to maintain. They surely can't be so thick as to have not realised that the current generation of 60+ won't be around forevet. Unless they just don't care, because they'll be long gone from politics then, deep into their own early retirement.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 19, 2019, 07:59:24 AMUnless they just don't care, because they'll be long gone from politics then, deep into their own early retirement.
I suspect there is an element of this: "we need victories for now, fuck the future, it's somebody else's problem". Perhaps plenty of current oldsters will think "yeah, fuck the next generation, let them work till they drop. Had it too easy anyways"?

Paul Calf

There's no way this would make it into legislation. Tory MPs won't vote for it in anything like sufficient numbers. I'd guess that they're just throwing hand grenades to distract people from the nuke they're building.

Paul Calf

"Hey, IDS you horrible little prole: people think you're a vile arsehole anyway so you can bomb the hospital while we sell the dialysis machines".

checkoutgirl

I blame Thatcher. That's when the rot started. Amazing how even amongst politicians Duncan Smith stands out as a prize cunt. The Titus Oates of our times.

This could be one of those things where they leak a really horrible idea just so they can do a less horrible one and everyone will be happy with it by comparison. Then again with this lot...

checkoutgirl

Why do nice people get cancer and run over by cars and Duncan Smith has perfect health and millions of pounds?

greenman

Is Borris going to push though the ability to vote after death provided you have a nice expense tombstone to make up the voter shortfall?

shiftwork2

I'm alright with this as I wasn't going to make 67 anyway.

bgmnts

Yeah who in this society of childhood obesity, constant internet access, decreasing environments in which to play and exercise in, having to work longer hours, less free time, more stress, is going to live past 60 healthily? Like, actually able to work without the aid of some AI machine?

Alberon

I suspect this is being issued now so when Johnson says its only going up to 72 he looks like he's giving us something rather than working us until death.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on August 19, 2019, 10:03:08 AM
Yeah who in this society of childhood obesity, constant internet access, decreasing environments in which to play and exercise in, having to work longer hours, less free time, more stress, is going to live past 60 healthily? Like, actually able to work without the aid of some AI machine?

Or have a job even? Machines are now taking jobs people actually aspire to.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Alberon on August 19, 2019, 10:24:33 AM
I suspect this is being issued now so when Johnson says its only going up to 72 he looks like he's giving us something rather than working us until death.

That's what I said!!

Gulftastic

Quote from: Alberon on August 19, 2019, 10:24:33 AM

And wait till you hear about the weekly chocolate ration. It'll be double plus good.

Icehaven

Fine idea, as long as it exempts any jobs that involve driving, anything medical, anything where you're responsible for looking after vulnerable people (children, or people even older than you are), anything that involves regularly lifting and carrying things or having to stand for the majority of the day, anything which requires prolonged periods of concentration, attention to detail and the ability to retain and recall large amounts of information, anything which other people's safety and security relies on or anything which requires a degree of physical strength and fitness significantly unlikely to be present in the average 75 year old.
Unless the Tories are just holding out on us and they've actually located the elixir of youth which will magically stop us all from ageing, what work are they expecting all these geriatrics to actually be able to do? I work in a prison ffs, if they think I'm still doddering round the wings when I can hardly lift my keys or remember where the alarms are they can sod off.

garbed_attic

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 18, 2019, 10:44:10 PM
i honestly think IDS should be killed. think tank fucker. he must be fucking minted. bald bastard

I knew his son back at uni. He/they are. Mansion.

imitationleather

Always suspected this was going to happen so it's not a surprise. Dunno how it works when the trend over the next few decades will be increased automation and far fewer actual jobs, though.

Bringing back poor houses I guess.

Quote from: imitationleather on August 19, 2019, 04:08:24 PM
Always suspected this was going to happen so it's not a surprise. Dunno how it works when the trend over the next fewer decades will be increased automation and far fewer actual jobs, though.

Bringing back poor houses I guess.

I've assumed that our generation and below would never retire for a long time, always imagined some sort of Logan's Run style trimming of the fat and IDS seems just the sort of chap to implement this.

Alberon

marquis_de_sad

Johnson will probably just 'compromise' and say they're lowering it to 72 to make himself look like the good guy.

Flouncer

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on August 19, 2019, 05:05:45 PM
Johnson will probably just 'compromise' and say they're lowering it to 72 to make himself look like the good guy.

Really insightful post there. +1

Alberon

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on August 19, 2019, 05:05:45 PM

That's what I said!!