Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Increasing laptop RAM

Started by Shit Good Nose, August 19, 2019, 09:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

I want to increase the RAM in our laptop.  The RAM slot is VERY easy to get to and I know exactly what make and speed I need.

BUT...

The laptop battery is not removable - it's soldered AND screwed into place.

Am I okay to put on a pair of marigolds and just do it or am I asking for trouble and should instead pay a professional to do it?

It's an HP Pavilion, but there are no instructions or diagrams for upgrading the RAM for this particular model on the HP website, only a brief blurb to say that there's an extra slot for extra RAM.

Pseudopath

Although it's obviously preferable to disconnect the battery before upgrading RAM, it's not actually essential (there's just a higher risk of laptop instadeath if you accidentally drag a component across some live circuitry).

The most important thing is to ensure the laptop is actually shut down and not in a sleep or suspend state (which is actually harder than it sounds on Windows 10 due to its Fast Startup capability). The best way to be sure is to run shutdown /s /f from an administrative command prompt.

Shit Good Nose

Thanks.

Gotta say, though, "laptop instadeath" by simple accident is REALLY putting me off doing it myself.........