Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite las

Started by sponk, August 19, 2019, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sponk

I was just listening to this extremely not creepy/ noncey song by R Kelly Moore and got addicted to the "la la la la la la" verse in the middle. It made the realise that laing is often my favourite part of songs, but I can't think of any other examples now. Can you?

grassbath

The chorus of Part Time Punks by Television Personalities

Norton Canes

Dunno, most 'la' bits are shit aren't they? Usually the domain of parochial Britpop-style crap (first one that sprung to mind was that Blur one). Run out of lyrics? Just end the song.

Norton Canes

Quote from: grassbath on August 19, 2019, 12:31:35 PM
The chorus of Part Time Punks by Television Personalities

Yeah I suppose used ironically they are good at conveying nihilism.

Absorb the anus burn

popcorn

Everyone likes The Boxer, don't they?

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on August 19, 2019, 12:49:01 PM
Timeless Melody.

That's exactly what I came here expecting!
...and it's Looking Glass anyway.

To answer the real question though, it's Liam Gallagher on Echo and The Bunnymen's "Nothing Lasts Forever".

sponk

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 19, 2019, 12:43:15 PM
Dunno, most 'la' bits are shit aren't they?

Most songs are a bit shit. Most albums are a bit shit. Most bands are a bit shit. We're here to talk about the one's that ain't.

grassbath

Does the category of 'la's extend to 'ba's, 'da's and 'na's?

If so, here's Judee Sill doing some lush and very necessary 'ba-da's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPwJcXqU36s

Norton Canes

bigfatheart

wosl

Song Of The Viking by Rundgren.  The las themselves misdirect a bit on first listening, fooling you into thinking that the song's going to be a bit of a throwaway, when in actual fact it develops into a lovely, solid effort.

Transglobal Underground - Templehead has some excellent na's sampled off something ethnic, nearly 30 years later and I still don't know the source.

https://youtu.be/-xV7-X55vUU

Johnboy

MiddleRabbit

Sin Agog

Love the track Nature's Song by Roger and its nanananas, but it's one of two tracks I've played on the P.A. in shops I've been working in that provoked customers to come up to me and ask why I was playing a song that repeats the N-word more gleefully than a Tarantino film.  In this case I informed them that he was saying Nature.  NATURE!  The other instance was a track by Gilberto Gil & Jorge Ben called Nega. NEGA! 

Maybe one for the retail stories thread?

another Mr. Lizard

buzby

<tag>Lee Mavers walks out of thread disconsolate</tag>

Jockice

The ones near the end of Monday Morning by Pulp. Followed by the best 'do do, do do do do' ever as well. I've been known to have that bit stuck in my head for months.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 19, 2019, 12:43:15 PM
Dunno, most 'la' bits are shit aren't they? Usually the domain of parochial Britpop-style crap (first one that sprung to mind was that Blur one). Run out of lyrics? Just end the song.

Charmless Man? If it's that one I think that works quite well, he's sort of conveying the absolute rot a coked up Keith Allen (if the rumours are true) would come out with. See what you mean though.

There was another Blur one off The Magic Whip 'Ong Ong' that used it in the chorus, I think it suited the mood of the tune, though. Looks like Damon has got form for it

And while I'm on the Britpop shit, 'If' by The Bluetones (I think it was that one anyway) has got a good one at the end but I haven't heard that song for about 20 years so I could just be being an old, wrong cunt.

purlieu

'If' by The Bluetones has a great 'na na na' outro. Huge sounding. Good stuff.
'The Beautiful Ones' by Suede has a good 'la la la' outro.
'Nothing to do / nothing to say / la la la / la la la lay', 'Freaking Out', Graham Coxon.

Crabwalk

Quote from: MidnightShambler on August 20, 2019, 12:10:17 PM
Charmless Man? If it's that one I think that works quite well, he's sort of conveying the absolute rot a coked up Keith Allen (if the rumours are true) would come out with. See what you mean though.

I reckon it's 'For Tomorrow' they're referring to.

Crabwalk

Quote from: bigfatheart on August 19, 2019, 03:07:12 PM
I'd have to say Mannequin by Wire.

That was my first thought too! Such a moment of joyous abandon when those las come in.

SFA's 'The International Language of Screaming' uses them to similar effect.

grassbath

Let's not forget the ending of Don't You (Forget About Me).