Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Costa Coffee criticised over staff treatment at Essex stores

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 19, 2019, 05:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteCosta Coffee employees at multiple stores claim they have had costs of £200 deducted from their final payslip for training, the BBC has learned.

The BBC spoke to 13 current and former Costa employees at stores in Essex who say they have also been subjected to other deductions for till discrepancies and running costs.

Costa said contracts for franchise stores are managed by partners.

It added some staff contracts did have "clauses relating to deductions".

"Deductions are circumstantial and reviewed on a case by case basis by the partner," a Costa Coffee spokeswoman said...

Costa Coffee said: "We take complaints such as these very seriously and have shared those we've been made aware of with our partner who operates the franchise business to investigate as a matter of urgency."

The company added: "Anyone you've heard from should get in touch with the partner directly."

Goldex Investments Essex Ltd said it took all the allegations "extremely seriously" and urged employees to outline the issues with their line manager.

Jon Cruddas, the MP for Dagenham and Rainham, said he was writing to the managing director of Costa Coffee UK and Ireland to ensure complaints of "poor treatment of staff - particularly young workers" is dealt with adequately.

He added: "A company that employs thousands of workers across the UK and the branch needs to be held to account."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49292051

I rarely go to Costa as they are expensive and noisy, but if you live in Essex and go to Costa Coffee you might want to consider a boycott. The stores that the allegations are made about are run by Goldex Investments Essex Ltd.

idunnosomename

as of tomorrow I am boycotting all costa stores in Essex until they sort this out.

wosl

Fambo Number Mive

Should We boycott all Costa stores to encourage them to do something about their Essex franchisee or just the Essex ones? I don't know how much power Costa has over their franchises or how the franchise system works.

I might boycott all Costas until they do something.

chveik

canadagoose

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 19, 2019, 05:46:29 PM
as of tomorrow I am boycotting all costa stores in Essex until they sort this out.
Same. I mean, I've never been to Essex and don't plan to go any time soon, but still.

BlodwynPig

I remember the time when the only place you could get a coffee in Essex was from Benny the Grinder

Blue Jam

The G1 Group did this to their poor staff once. They had to pay them back because this meant they were effectively paying below the minimum wage. They have done plenty of other shitty things besides so I boycott all their shitty soulless identikit venues.

Good thing I hate coffee.

Twed

phes

Don't got to Costa anyway because I want my drug dens to have a fucking soul

New folder

They will always find new ways to bleed the poorest dry, nothing matters, let's all jump into a pit and fucking die it's the only way out

or is there any way that we could round up all the managers and steam their faces off with an espresso machine?