Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:05:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brassic (New Joe Gilgun comedy)

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 19, 2019, 06:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

I love Joe Gilgun and will watch practically anything he does. He's getting his own show on Sky, starting this Thursday, loosely based on his chaotic life in Chorley. It's got Michelle Keegan in it as well. Here's the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX4GzQ8Ux1w

Small Man Big Horse

I quite liked this, it's nothing amazing and sometimes it's a bit too laddish, but most of the time it amused.

SteveDave

It was very 90s. The freeze frame introductions and the voice-over especially making me think of Lock, Stock And All Those Barrels.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just had a trailer for this appear on fb. Was that Dominic West? Interested in watching if he's in a comic role.

Twit 2

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 29, 2019, 12:43:09 PM
Just had a trailer for this appear on fb. Was that Dominic West? Interested in watching if he's in a comic role.

It is, and he plays Gilgun's psychiatrist, but is a fairly fun character who's seemingly more interested in online dating than solving anyone's problems.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: SteveDave on August 27, 2019, 12:56:09 PM
It was very 90s. The freeze frame introductions and the voice-over especially making me think of Lock, Stock And All Those Barrels.

The first episode managed to rip off Lock Stock, Snatch, Trainspotting and possibly a bit of Intermission. The 'whole town being a bit dodgy' seems like a lift from Shameless.

It's ok, but is basically a ripoff of other stuff a bit to big to be even considered cult.

Perhaps the worst part is they're all supposed to be salt of the earth, but moan about the Guardian and are all quite posh.

up_the_hampipe

I've watched all 6 now and I really enjoyed it. Good comedy and some non-heavy-handed drama. Dominic West's role is so strange but I'm glad he agreed to it. Gilgun is very good (as always) and Michelle Keegan was a lot better than I expected. So yeah watch.

steveh

Wasn't sure if I was going to like this but ended up enjoying it. A lot of Sky original productions are let down by scripts that seem to have not had the time put in to get them properly right but this was tightly written, had a good narrative arc, mostly got the blend right between drama and comedy and at six episodes didn't lag or outstay its welcome. Bar a couple of minor characters the cast was good and it didn't cause you to lose interest in people as sometimes happens with a large cast. There were also a few places where it seemed like there were some genuine smiles or laughs in a scene which helped make the characters more endearing.

On the downside there were some bits where it just became a bit too farcical - parts of the episode where they're stealing from the dope farm for example. Having introduced Vinny as bipolar early on they also didn't seem to then particularly go anywhere with it. I can see the Lock, Stock comparison but I thought this had more heart and empathy - akin more to Ideal in the countryside perhaps, if without the surrealism. A second series would hopefully lead to them finding more of their own original path.