Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:29:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Atari Jaguar SD cartridge (Everdrive)

Started by Pinball, August 20, 2019, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

Very exciting news if you have an Atari Jaguar. The first Everdrive for it went on sale yesterday, enabling you to play EVERY Jag cart game. It may also support Jag CD games later (hardware in place, just needs firmware update).

https://new.retrohq.co.uk/shop/

MojoJojo

I don't know much about the Jaguar, except about it being a bit of a flop and some ho-haaa about it claiming to be 64 bits.

Are there any stand out games on it?

madhair60

Cool, now you can play all the awesome Jaguar exclusives, like Fucking Nothing and Shit All.

biggytitbo

The best thing about the Atari Jaguar was when they spray painted it grey and used it as dental equipment.

NoSleep

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 20, 2019, 11:39:01 AM
Are there any stand out games on it?

Tempest 2000 (by Jeff "Yak" Minter), which I purchased a Jaguar to play (and is awesome). Ended up getting Defender 2000 as well, which isn't in the same league but as a bonus plays a decent game of standard Defender. I have Doom and Syndicate as well.

I'm not sure what else you'd want a Jaguar for aside from Tempest 2000 (which'll cost you £50-£60 on ebay).

madhair60

Oh yeah I forgot about Tempest. Disregard my above post

Pinball

It is true that the number of good games was relatively small, but Tempest 2000 was superb and justified the license fee on its own, as it were. I even bought the OST on CD. Other great games IMO:

Defender 2000 (just beautiful and great music, and programmed by Minter!)

Breakout 2000
Missile Command 3D

Battlesphere (rare)
Raiden (accurate port)
Alien vs Predator

Wolfenstein 3D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_Jaguar_games

What's great about the SD cart is you'll be able to try everything, and, in particular I hope, CD games at some point. There is also a lot of bootleg activity.

So, yes the Jaguar flopped, but there are gems therein.

madhair60

I take the piss but I'd love a proper go of the Jag. Emulation of it is a fuckin state

NoSleep

Quote from: Pinball on August 20, 2019, 02:59:42 PM
There is also a lot of bootleg activity.

Do you mean homebrew? It looks like the CD add-on has gendered a fair bit of "new" Jaguar stuff. I'd love to see Jeff Minter's VLM (light synthesiser) that was built into the CD add-on.

Pinball

Yeah sorry homebrew is a better term! AtariAge is also releasing new carts of course. Mainly the SD cart means you'll save a fortune not having to buy carts though.

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=57

Pinball

Quote from: madhair60 on August 20, 2019, 03:01:44 PM
I take the piss but I'd love a proper go of the Jag. Emulation of it is a fuckin state
Emulation is shite, not much that works, although T2K does, thank Sky Fairy.

NoSleep

Quote from: Pinball on August 20, 2019, 03:09:39 PM
Yeah sorry homebrew is a better term! AtariAge is also releasing new carts of course. Mainly the SD cart means you'll save a fortune not having to buy carts though.

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=57

Llamatron, Revenge of the Mutant Camels (& Gridrunner as an easter egg)) for the Jaguar? I think I might have one of them.

Oooh, Xenon 2, too.

Pinball

I remember Xenon 2 (in B&W!) on an old Amstrad 1512, then I bought it for the MegaDrive, and now this :-)

The fan scene and fora have really kept things ticking along nicely.

More generally, I've been going through an Everdrive year across various consoles and handhelds e.g. new, bright McWill screens for Atari Lynx 2 and GameGear, and Everdrives for both (every game made on 1 cart). Nice.

MojoJojo

Quote from: NoSleep on August 20, 2019, 02:34:50 PM
Tempest 2000 (by Jeff "Yak" Minter), which I purchased a Jaguar to play (and is awesome). Ended up getting Defender 2000 as well, which isn't in the same league but as a bonus plays a decent game of standard Defender. I have Doom and Syndicate as well.

I'm not sure what else you'd want a Jaguar for aside from Tempest 2000 (which'll cost you £50-£60 on ebay).

Huh, I was actually thinking about Tempest 2000 when I posted the question, but thought that was the weird one that was on a DVD player.

NoSleep

Pinball

I actually bought a Nuon back in the day specifically for T3K. Crazy really, but that's how much I liked T2K and Minter :-)

There is of course T4K for XB1 and PS4 now, as well as Polybius, and, for completion, TxK for the Vita, and Space Giraffe for Xbox 360.

Space Giraffe. Perhaps a bit too psychedelic :-)