Author Topic: The Righteous Gemstones  (Read 786 times)

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
The Righteous Gemstones
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:55:40 PM »
This is the new show from Danny McBride, I liked Eastbound and Down, didn't get on with Vice Principals (though only saw the first episode) but this is my favourite work of his yet. Quite possibly because while still playing someone who's a bit of a twat his latest character is more likeable than the other two, plus John Goodman's all kinds of majestic in it, and the storyline appeals too. Apparently the first season is nine episodes long (with the first being a double) and I don't know if it's one and done, or if they plan to do further seasons, but the first episode and concept is strong enough to suggest it could run for at least a few more seasons.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
Re: The Righteous Gemstones
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »
Thanks for starting the thread for this, I've been looking forward to the show for a while. You should give VP another chance. I love E&B, but overall VP is the better show, in my opinion. It's smarter, more mature and more inventive.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:34:37 PM by QDRPHNC »

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 05:16:58 PM »
I'm liking this more with each episode. Walton Goggins is always a good addition to anything but especially the character he plays in this! I'm looking forward to seeing just how far they go with him. I would like to see more of Edi Patterson who plays Judy Gemstone and I see she is listed as a co-writer on episode 6 so hopefully her character will feature more.
Also there has been a lot of willies shown in this show so far.

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 06:03:02 AM »
I'm enjoying this but I'd say it's the weakest of the McBride shows/films I've seen (Eastbound, Vice Principals, Foot Fist Way all made me laugh more than this has, so far). I do love the setting/premise and Edi Patterson is pretty hilarious in her role but the jokes aren't landing quite as well for me as they did with the aforementioned projects. Not sure why. I was thrilled Walton Goggins has shown up because his comedic turn in Vice Principals was one of my favourite performances in quite a while. Turning his manic energy towards the role of a camp, vicious, insecure vice principal was a stroke of casting genius.

I'll definitely be sticking with Gemstones. The story is fun and these shows generally do get better as the characters and cast get a bit more room to breathe.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:28:41 PM »
I've been sucked in by this - agree that it's the least funny of McBrides series so far, but it's seems like that might be by design. VP skewed more towards drama than EN&D and this seems to be following that pattern. Enjoying it lots though, John Goodman in particular is great, and it was a nice surprise seeing Dylan McDermott show up too.

Ant Farm Keyboard

• 60 percent of the time, it works every time
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 09:47:29 PM »
I also find the business side of the church rather fascinating, especially as it's based on reality. I had no idea about how the "megachurches" were organized. Showing them as some large corporation that tries to put independents out of business like any other is quite revealing.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 12:21:44 AM »
Seriously diminishing return on Danny McBride for me. He plays Kenny Powers in every thing I see him in. After three episodes I don’t think this has made me laugh once. The only memorable character for me is Keefe, honestly. Tim Baltz is funny too. I don’t care about any of them, though.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 12:41:02 AM »
Superficially maybe, but Kenny Powers, Neil Gamby and Jesse Gemstone are very different people beyond the tone and rhythms of their speech.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
I wouldn’t say that Kenny Powers and Jesse Gemstone is all that different. Brash, narcissistic, rude. Like there are so many J. Gemstone lines that could’ve been lifted from EB&D.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »
I agree there are superficial similarities that stem from McBride as a performer and writer, but one of the things I really love about all of these series is that they avoid lazy stereotypes. Below the surface, in their respective contexts, I think they're quite distinct.

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 12:35:52 PM »
The latest episode of this was tremendous and featured a song that will be stuck in my head for days. Walton Goggins is a treasure. As is John Goodman.