Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:20:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Righteous Gemstones

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 20, 2019, 02:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This is the new show from Danny McBride, I liked Eastbound and Down, didn't get on with Vice Principals (though only saw the first episode) but this is my favourite work of his yet. Quite possibly because while still playing someone who's a bit of a twat his latest character is more likeable than the other two, plus John Goodman's all kinds of majestic in it, and the storyline appeals too. Apparently the first season is nine episodes long (with the first being a double) and I don't know if it's one and done, or if they plan to do further seasons, but the first episode and concept is strong enough to suggest it could run for at least a few more seasons.

QDRPHNC

Thanks for starting the thread for this, I've been looking forward to the show for a while. You should give VP another chance. I love E&B, but overall VP is the better show, in my opinion. It's smarter, more mature and more inventive.

cliggg

I'm liking this more with each episode. Walton Goggins is always a good addition to anything but especially the character he plays in this! I'm looking forward to seeing just how far they go with him. I would like to see more of Edi Patterson who plays Judy Gemstone and I see she is listed as a co-writer on episode 6 so hopefully her character will feature more.
Also there has been a lot of willies shown in this show so far.

Moribunderast

I'm enjoying this but I'd say it's the weakest of the McBride shows/films I've seen (Eastbound, Vice Principals, Foot Fist Way all made me laugh more than this has, so far). I do love the setting/premise and Edi Patterson is pretty hilarious in her role but the jokes aren't landing quite as well for me as they did with the aforementioned projects. Not sure why. I was thrilled Walton Goggins has shown up because his comedic turn in Vice Principals was one of my favourite performances in quite a while. Turning his manic energy towards the role of a camp, vicious, insecure vice principal was a stroke of casting genius.

I'll definitely be sticking with Gemstones. The story is fun and these shows generally do get better as the characters and cast get a bit more room to breathe.

QDRPHNC

I've been sucked in by this - agree that it's the least funny of McBrides series so far, but it's seems like that might be by design. VP skewed more towards drama than EN&D and this seems to be following that pattern. Enjoying it lots though, John Goodman in particular is great, and it was a nice surprise seeing Dylan McDermott show up too.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I also find the business side of the church rather fascinating, especially as it's based on reality. I had no idea about how the "megachurches" were organized. Showing them as some large corporation that tries to put independents out of business like any other is quite revealing.

Hank Venture

Seriously diminishing return on Danny McBride for me. He plays Kenny Powers in every thing I see him in. After three episodes I don't think this has made me laugh once. The only memorable character for me is Keefe, honestly. Tim Baltz is funny too. I don't care about any of them, though.

QDRPHNC

Superficially maybe, but Kenny Powers, Neil Gamby and Jesse Gemstone are very different people beyond the tone and rhythms of their speech.

Hank Venture

I wouldn't say that Kenny Powers and Jesse Gemstone is all that different. Brash, narcissistic, rude. Like there are so many J. Gemstone lines that could've been lifted from EB&D.

QDRPHNC

I agree there are superficial similarities that stem from McBride as a performer and writer, but one of the things I really love about all of these series is that they avoid lazy stereotypes. Below the surface, in their respective contexts, I think they're quite distinct.

Moribunderast

The latest episode of this was tremendous and featured a song that will be stuck in my head for days. Walton Goggins is a treasure. As is John Goodman.

QDRPHNC

Is anybody still going with this? It keeps getting better and better.

I've been hesitant to post about it, because like Vice Principals, this show resists an episode-by-episode dissection. There is an ebb and a flow to the whole thing, and again, like Vice Principals, it took a little while to reveal exactly what it's all about, but it seems to have hit its stride.

The flashback episode was remarkable. One of the most memorable so far, with most of the major cast members missing. Misbehavin' has been in my head for 2 weeks. Whatever awards they have for TV, John Goodman should get at least one of them. He's the heart and soul of the show, and the final scene of the most recent episode, just watching the emotions move across his face watching his daughter onstage, was sort of lovely and heartbreaking at the same time.

The McBride / Hill shows (E&D, VP and now TRG) remind me of The Sopranos in a weird way. Whereas it was a drama that was funny like life, McBride and Hill make comedies that are dramatic like life. Revisiting some Eastbound & Down the other evening, it made me laugh as much as ever, but I was struck by how relatively shallow it is compared to what has come after, in terms of dramatic and emotional complexity. E&D was a one-man show, VP was a double act, and TRG is very much an ensemble piece. And Keefe, of course. I don't know why I love Keefe so much, the quiet, reformed Satanist, but I do.

If anyone's not watching this, give it a shot.

Moribunderast

This week's episode was an absolute beauty. Very funny for the first half (seriously, Edi Patterson and the fella playing her fiancee are brilliant together) and the second half was just genuinely intense and gripping.

And I agree re: Keefe love. The actor's performance/choices are very strange but they make him a compelling, weird and very memorable character, despite him not actually doing much (other than wearing shirts that are too short.)

The show has definitely picked up as it's gone along. It can be very funny but it's the plot and performances that are really carrying this along. The whole ensemble are great. It's a particular joy whenever the three Gemstone siblings are arguing amongst themselves with that very well-defined familial structure that's been established.

Gotta give credit to Skyler Gisondo too. Thought he was just about the best thing in Santa Clarita Diet. He was also very good in Booksmart and now he's doing a great job in this. Starting to become someone whose presence in a show really pleases me.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, most recent was a belter. There is no comedy better at creating a sense of serious dread and anticipation between the laughs.

"Car pranks."

QDRPHNC

The penultimate episode was just brilliant. I am shocked and dismayed that more CaBbers aren't watching / discussing this.

I've been waiting for it to turn up on Sky Atlantic, as per HBO's other output, but it seems Sky are holding it back for the launch of their new comedy channel next February.

Guess I'd better "borrow" it from the torrents then.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 08, 2019, 04:05:59 PM
The penultimate episode was just brilliant. I am shocked and dismayed that more CaBbers aren't watching / discussing this.

When Jesse insists on EVERYBODY watching the tape, assuming that the mere fact of confessing the events will restore his reputation of moral authority, I nearly lost it. This is an incredibly misguided move, yet something that neither Kenny Powers nor Neil Gambit would have attempted, while it makes total sense in Jesse Gemstone's universe.

Judy's meltdown with the shopping cart was another thing of beauty.

kngen

Quote from: Moribunderast on October 01, 2019, 02:10:38 PM
And I agree re: Keefe love. The actor's performance/choices are very strange but they make him a compelling, weird and very memorable character, despite him not actually doing much (other than wearing shirts that are too short.)

Having known two or three people who've come out the other side of breakdowns/addiction/just general, and traumatic, wrong turns in life*, he does an incredible job of portraying someone just about holding it together, while still being a little baffled about what it is he's supposed to be doing.

*Not that becoming enmeshed in the Gemstones' toxicity is exactly a right turn in life. Besides, Club Sinister looks amazing!

Moribunderast

Absolutely brilliant final episode. After initially finding this show to have a compelling story but not too many laughs it ended up really gripping me with the plot while totally ramping up the humour. The ensemble really shines as you get to know the characters more and by the end it's been one of the funniest shows I've seen this year. Edi Patterson (with Tim Baltz) has two moments in the finale which had me in tears of laughter. What a wonderful team.

I loved Eastbound and Down but thought it gradually became a lesser show (while remaining very fun) and I thought Vice Principals was absolutely fantastic but this may be the best of the lot. That might be recency bias but it just had so many great elements that came together and if I were to use Walton Goggins as a tie-breaker I think I preferred his performance as Uncle Baby Billy, mainly because of the way he says "now" after nearly every sentence.

Quote from: Moribunderast on October 14, 2019, 11:08:57 AM
If I were to use Walton Goggins as a tie-breaker I think I preferred his performance as Uncle Baby Billy, mainly because of the way he says "now" after nearly every sentence.

He's so good in this, the whole thing is probably my favourite show of 2019.

kngen

Quote from: Moribunderast on October 14, 2019, 11:08:57 AM
totally ramping up the humour.

They didn't half, did they? Think my favourite bit was Jesse's feeble attempt to physically abduct Gideon, but the bit where the three siblings 'offer encouragement' to each other is a close second.

It occurred to me that the constant penis parade (particularly in that final episode - blimey!) was McBride et al mocking Home Boob Office for their enforced nudity policy. I'd like to think so, anyway.

QDRPHNC

That was lovely, genuinely funny, gripping, tense, emotional and very sweet at the end. Will miss this show (at least until season 2).

QDRPHNC

Rewatching, worth it, some good foreshadowing. Also a lovely detail during the family dinner for Gideon's return is that BJ is just eating a plate of a mac and cheese because no one can be arsed catering to his vegetarianism.

SteveDave

I started watching this last night and was delighted to see the wonderful Scott MacArthur turn up as the Devil mask man.

kngen

Quote from: SteveDave on November 07, 2019, 01:21:22 PM
I started watching this last night and was delighted to see the wonderful Scott MacArthur turn up as the Devil mask man.

Is The Mick worth watching then?

It was funny watching him in this and then El Camino on the same day. Made me think: 'I like this scumbag. I want to see more of him'

Ant Farm Keyboard

The Mick is some diluted Sunny in Philadelphia, and very hit or miss. But they were able to sneak in some material that was quite challenging for network TV. And MacArthur may have the best TV fight in years during season 2.

Dog Botherer

i do not usually enjoy Danny McBride vehicles but i enjoyed this very much. admittedly mostly due to the rest of the cast but i will give him credit for the writing even if i never really enjoy his schtick.

SteveDave

Quote from: kngen on November 09, 2019, 06:59:33 PM
Is The Mick worth watching then?

It was funny watching him in this and then El Camino on the same day. Made me think: 'I like this scumbag. I want to see more of him'

I really liked The Mick. It is a bit "Sweet Dee Looks After Some Kids" but there's a strange heart to it. A bit like the way "AP Bio" is "Dennis Teaches Some Kids Biology"

And as Ant Farm Keyboard Scott MacArthur has an amazing fight in the second series.

SteveDave

We've got one more episode of this left but I don't think I've ever said "Noooooooo" at the scream as much as I did when Jesse decided to screen the film of him and his gang doing drugs and watching Chad have sex  with the prostitute.

Just finished the series and loved every minute. What a great show. Very funny throughout and a plot that I found interesting to the end. I wasn't expecting it to be anything like this good.