Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gormenghast series with Neil Gaiman involved.

Started by Glebe, August 20, 2019, 03:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

'Gormenghast' Series Lands at Showtime With Neil Gaiman, Akiva Goldsman Producing.

QuoteThe planned adaption of Mervyn Peake's "Gormenghast" book series has found a home at Showtime.

The premium cabler has given the project a script-to-series order and will co-produce along with Fremantle, with a writers room set to be opened soon. Fremantle announced last year that they were developing a series based on the books.

The books center on the inhabitants of the city-sized castle Gormenghast. Its denizens are only vaguely aware of how or why the castle came to be, but over the course of the series the powers that have held the castle in place are challenged and the ensuing disruptions reveal its fantastical secrets.

Toby Whithouse will serve as executive producer and showrunner. Neil Gaiman, Akiva Goldsman, Dante Di Loreto, Oliver Jones, Barry Spikings, and David Stern will also executive produce.

Whithouse previously created the BBC series "Being Human," with an American version airing on Syfy in the U.S. for four seasons. He also created the BBC One miniseries "The Game" and the Channel 4 series "No Angels." His other credits include "Doctor Who" and "Torchwood."

The highly-celebrated book series was originally comprised of the three novels "Titus Groan," "Gormenghast," and "Titus Alone," with the first installment being published in 1946. Peake was working on a fourth novel, "Titus Awakes," at the time of his death in 1968. That book was eventually finished by Peake's widow and released in 2009. Peake also wrote the novella "Boy in Darkness," which tells the story of a young Titus Groan.

The BBC had previously adapted the first two books into a four-episode miniseries starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Christopher Lee in 2000.

Gaiman also currently has the series adaptation of his novel "American Gods" at Starz, with that show — also produced by Fremantle — preparing to go into its third season. He most recently served as the showrunner on the Amazon limited series adaptation of his and Terry Pratchett's novel "Good Omens." Netflix is currently preparing the fifth and final season of "Lucifer," based on the DC Comics character created by Gaiman, Sam Kieth, and Mike Dringenberg. Gaiman is also set to write and executive produce a Netflix adaptation of his "Sandman" comics series.

Goldsman is currently an executive producer on many of the "Star Trek" projects set up at CBS All Access, including the upcoming series "Star Trek: Picard." He is also an executive producer on the "Dark Tower" pilot currently in the works at Amazon, having produced and written the screenplay for the 2017 feature film adaptation.

Titus Groan is one of my favourite books... the BBC adaptation was well cast and stylish, although the set design was a little too extravagant and it didn't really capture the brooding atmosphere that Peake evoked. Anyway, be interesting to see how this turns out.

Alberon

Another fantasy TV series started before the books are finished. When will they ever learn?

Glebe

Quote from: Alberon on August 20, 2019, 03:57:37 PMAnother fantasy TV series started before the books are finished. When will they ever learn?

It'd be interesting to see Titus Alone adapted... the BBC version ends before that, and understandably so.

Jerzy Bondov

With Whithouse as showrunner this could turn out quite good. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I was 14 when the BBC one came out and I absolutely loved it. It was right up my street. I didn't actually read the books until a few years later and only then realised that Steerpike isn't meant to be very very sexy. Confusing times.

Cerys

Yeah, Steerpike in that adaptation was all wrong, visually.

Famous Mortimer

I just finished Titus Groan and found it a bit of a slog. I wanted to scream every time Prunesquallor started a sentence, and became convinced Peake was being paid by the word. Still, I'll watch this.

Dex Sawash

Really thought this was a misplaced poo thread

Mister Six

Far more interested to see Toby Whithouse as showrunner than Gaiman in any capacity. Neil's just not very good at telly, is he?

Wonder if they're going for a fairly accurate adaptation or if they're going to spin this out indefinitely? Either way, I hope Whithouse eventually moves over to Who showrunner before Chibnall runs the whole thing into the fucking ground.