Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Matrix film

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 20, 2019, 11:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Has there ever been a Paul McCartney barefoot on an Abbey Road album cover or anything like this?

greenman

Big missed opportunity not including Statham in the Zion rave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFB3q0mMBK8

this will probably be good

Replies From View

don't worry i have scoured the internet and by the sheerest of all born coincidences learned that there has existed a paul mccartney of that nature

Puffing out its peacock feathers and everyone.

madhair60

Replies From View

has there ever been a wachowski shown on a tube of toothpaste

Piggyoioi

Did anyone else notice that Morpheus's cadence in his Zion speech is stolen from the 'Caaaaaaan youuuuu digggg it" guy at the start of the The Warriors?

QDRPHNC

The Matrix was good as long as you didn't think too hard about it, then they went and made you think about it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Piggyoioi on August 21, 2019, 05:14:32 PM
Did anyone else notice that Morpheus's cadence in his Zion speech is stolen from the 'Caaaaaaan youuuuu digggg it" guy at the start of the The Warriors?

Bob the Builder?

greenman

Fishburn these days pretty much forces them to have his character be some kind of raving lunatic in this doesn't it?

Replies From View

Quote from: greenman on August 21, 2019, 06:34:28 PM
Fishburn these days pretty much forces them to have his character be some kind of raving lunatic in this doesn't it?

Not really seen him in anything.  Does he still hold up a battery and say "...into this"?

Puce Moment

Oddly, starting watching Realoded a few nights ago and had forgotten how Star Wars Prequels they feel in tone. All of the mood and tension of that first film gets bogged down in the far less interesting 'real' world cave dwelling army. Neo has too much power, and the bullshit mysticism and speeches start really quickly.

I will watch this for sure as the storyworld has the potential to be great.

greenman

Doesn't help that its strait into the bad stuff at the start but it does pickup a bit by the middle I'd say.

Quote from: Replies From View on August 21, 2019, 06:46:52 PM
Not really seen him in anything.  Does he still hold up a battery and say "...into this"?

In John Wick 3 he mains Oldman in Leon seem a model of restraint.

grassbath

I always thought it was really funny how Trinity is 'the key' and Neo's love for her is the thing that saves everyone or whatever, but she's possibly the flattest, most boring, most underwritten female lead character in any major film franchise.

Replies From View

Quote from: grassbath on August 21, 2019, 07:56:05 PM
I always thought it was really funny how Trinity is 'the key' and Neo's love for her is the thing that saves everyone or whatever, but she's possibly the flattest, most boring, most underwritten female lead character in any major film franchise.

Wasn't it just that the prophesy said that whoever she loved would turn out to be The One, so when Neo seemed to die he couldn't actually be dead, because she loved him and he was therefore their saviour?  I don't think her love itself actually triggered anything.

mothman

Quote from: grassbath on August 21, 2019, 07:56:05 PM
flat ... boring ... underwritten female lead character ... major film franchise...

grassbath

Particularly bad though. I mean, she's barely a person.

Gulftastic

'Neo' it an anagram of 'One'.

I wish they'd had a scene before Neo where Morpheous was testing Brian Eno.

Replies From View

Quote from: grassbath on August 21, 2019, 08:05:36 PM

Agreed.  The notion that she has been in love with Neo throughout the first film just comes out of nowhere within the last five minutes.

mothman

Quote from: grassbath on August 21, 2019, 08:05:36 PM

Yes (wasn't being sarcastic).
Quote from: Replies From View on August 21, 2019, 08:11:32 PM
Agreed.  The notion that she has been in love with Neo throughout the first film just comes out of nowhere within the last five minutes.

Just what I was thinking. It's sort-of alluded to in the opening dialogue when Cypher mentions she's been watching Neo a lot.

... which has always got me wondering: that conversation nearly leads to the Agents capturing Trinity; was Cypher doing it to get her caught? I think it's implied he fancied her and her preferring Neo partly led to his choice to turn traitor...

[phone rings]
Cypher: [answering] Yeah?
Trinity: Is everything in place?
Cypher: You weren't supposed to relieve me.
Trinity: I know, but I felt like taking a shift.
Cypher: You like him. You like watching him.
Trinity: Don't be ridiculous.
Cypher: We're going to kill him, you understand?
Trinity: Morpheus believes he is The One.
Cypher: Do you?
Trinity: Doesn't matter what I believe.
Cypher: You don't, do you? [a light chirp is heard]
Trinity: Did you hear that?
Cypher: Hear what?
Trinity: Are you sure this line is clean?
Cypher: Yeah, of course I'm sure.
Trinity:...I better go. [hangs up]

grassbath

The Matrix is often cited as a highly influential film, but the films that bear its direct influence are all shit.

Replies From View

Quote from: grassbath on August 21, 2019, 08:20:41 PM
The Matrix is often cited as a highly influential film, but the films that bear its direct influence are all shit.

See also:  The Beatles

grassbath

Predictably I am going to assert that that is not a workable analogy.

Replies From View

Quote from: grassbath on August 21, 2019, 08:24:42 PM
Predictably I am going to assert that that is not a workable analogy.

Because your favourite song and music video of all time is Oasis' All Around The World.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 21, 2019, 07:47:18 PM
Oddly, starting watching Realoded a few nights ago and had forgotten how Star Wars Prequels they feel in tone. All of the mood and tension of that first film gets bogged down in the far less interesting 'real' world cave dwelling army. Neo has too much power, and the bullshit mysticism and speeches start really quickly.

I will watch this for sure as the storyworld has the potential to be great.

I mean also there are loads of scenes of exposition where two people just sit/stand around and talk to each other

Not shot/reverse-shot, to be fair, but fucking boring nonetheless

mothman

I'm not sure I've ever watched either sequel a second time.

I think I may have watched part of Reloaded on ITV2 once, but that's it. First saw it in the cinema (my wife came to see it with me; we'd not even been together when the first one came out). Third, didn't even bother going - watched it eventually on a pirate file my brother gave me, really rubbish quality because it turned out to be a cam job (as I learned when, just before the file ended, somebody stood up in the frame).

Architect: Just how long do you think this peace is going to last?
Oracle: As long as it can.  [the Architect starts to walk off]  What about the others?
Architect: [stops] What others?
Oracle: The ones that want out.
Architect: Obviously they will be freed.
Oracle: I have your word?
Architect: [contemptuously] What do you think I am? Human?

So, what will it be? Will the humans in the Matrix be shown, as Neo once promised, a world without machines controlling it? Or will it turn out the machines were quite capable of going back on their word?

Shaky

Quote from: mothman on August 21, 2019, 08:50:55 PM
Third, didn't even bother going - watched it eventually on a pirate file my brother gave me, really rubbish quality because it turned out to be a cam job (as I learned when, just before the file ended, somebody stood up in the frame).

No, that was the proper DVD version. So bad you can famously see people leaving at the end.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 21, 2019, 11:31:20 AM
Funny that Laurence Fishburne, the one major cast member whose character is unequivocally alive at the end of the third film, wasn't in the announcement.

Ironically, the actor is dead!

mothman

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on August 21, 2019, 08:50:55 PM
So, what will it be? Will the humans in the Matrix be shown, as Neo once promised, a world without machines controlling it? Or will it turn out the machines were quite capable of going back on their word?

And in which direction does Dame Judi Dench wipe her arse.  Find answers to these questions and more in The Matrix Rebooted (2021).