Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:03:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

England made me

Started by Head Gardener, August 21, 2019, 02:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

.     The most successful artist by English county

The Culture Bunker

Surprised it's Spooky Tooth for Cumbria, as I thought they were always a "cult" band who never got near the charts, unlike British Sea Power and It Bites.

BlodwynPig

Surely The Wurzels >>> FKA Twigs?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 21, 2019, 03:07:28 PM
Surely The Wurzels >>> FKA Twigs?
From Somerset, no? Mind, I've no idea who FKA Twigs are. Or the Struts...

And no bands have ever come from Rutland?

Jim_MacLaine

I would have thought the Bee Gees (born in Chorlton) were more successful than the Thunderbird brothers.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on August 21, 2019, 03:20:33 PM
I would have thought the Bee Gees (born in Chorlton) were more successful than the Thunderbird brothers.
More succesful, but born on the Isle of Man - and I think they only lived in Manchester for a few years before the family moved on to Australia.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 21, 2019, 03:25:03 PM
More succesful, but born on the Isle of Man - and I think they only lived in Manchester for a few years before the family moved on to Australia.

Ah, fair play.

As you were, as you were etc.

another Mr. Lizard

The Struts? Not Anti Pasti or Kevin Coyne or John Wetton? (the latter from the same village as me)

I used to work with Greg Lake's sister on a production line in Poole. She never mentioned him once and I only found out once she'd left.

Norton Canes

Cumbria - Wild Beasts? Some of British Sea Power?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on August 21, 2019, 03:20:33 PM

They're Manx, not Mancs

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 21, 2019, 03:41:09 PM
I can only assume Spooky Tooth have consistently sold over the last four decades, thus outselling BSP and the rest.

Icehaven

I've never even heard of Spooky Tooth, The Struts or Nicola Roberts so this can't possibly be right. And are the Rolling Stones not from anywhere then? Or is there some criteria about band members all having to come from the same county?

purlieu

Does this include former bands? Because Nicola Roberts's (excellent) solo album wasn't a big seller, so I reckon that must include Girls Aloud.

I enjoyed the blank for Rutland. Nobody notable? Nobody at all? Didn't care?

I was thinking how shit it was that Kasabian have become Leicestershire's, but before them it was probably Mark Morrison.

purlieu

Quote from: icehaven on August 21, 2019, 03:51:31 PM
And are the Rolling Stones not from anywhere then? Or is there some criteria about band members all having to come from the same place?
The Kent / London border, but as a band I reckon they'll count as London - and they probably haven't outsold Elton John. Candle in the Wind '97 alone cements his place there.

Also
I've never even heard of Spooky Tooth
You need to watch more Chanel Nine.

The Culture Bunker

I've never even heard of Spooky Tooth
In some mitigation, before British Sea Power, I think the only band* from Cumbria to get a sniff of the charts was It Bites - it's not exactly a musical hotbed.

*I just remembered that one of 911 is from Cumbria, so there's that too.

kalowski

Quote from: purlieu on August 21, 2019, 03:52:34 PM

I enjoyed the blank for Rutland. Nobody notable? Nobody at all? Didn't care?

wosl

Surprised that Jeff Lynne, when you factor in all the stuff he's been involved with on top of what he's achieved with ELO, isn't there in place of Duran Duran.

chveik

never heard of Shed Seven. is it a comedy band?

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 21, 2019, 03:41:09 PM

Belinda Carlisle

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: wosl on August 21, 2019, 07:38:14 PM
Surprised that Jeff Lynne, when you factor in all the stuff he's been involved with on top of what he's achieved with ELO, isn't there in place of Duran Duran.

According to Wikipedia UB40 have sold the same as DD.

Icehaven

Surely Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin have sold more than Duran Duran?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: kalowski on August 21, 2019, 06:56:39 PM

Famously from Liverpool ( Barry Wom was from Aigburth, for example ), as their Scouse accents ( apart from Stig's )bear testimony to.
They could have had Sam Carter for Rutland.

Bennett Brauer

wosl

Quote from: icehaven on August 21, 2019, 11:30:06 PMSurely Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin have sold more than Duran Duran?

You'd think Led Zep might be in with a shout, but they'd be discounted as a Birmingham band anyway, since they formed in London, and none of the band came either from Birmingham, or from Warwickshire, the county Brum was in, pre-West Midlands.  Page and Jones were Greater Londoners, Bonham came from Worcestershire, and Plant grew up in Worcestershire after moving there from West Bromwich (part of Staffordshire, when he was born) while still a kid.

Bennett Brauer

The OP's graphic was posted by some random herbert on reddit over a year ago and i uterly DISKARD it

jobotic

I can't get that to load properly, can't read it.

The most famous band from Kent is Host State? Never heard of 'em.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: wosl on August 22, 2019, 01:13:15 AM
You'd think Led Zep might be in with a shout, but they'd be discounted as a Birmingham band anyway, since they formed in London, and none of the band came either from Birmingham, or from Warwickshire, the county Brum was in, pre-West Midlands.  Page and Jones were Greater Londoners, Bonham came from Worcestershire, and Plant grew up in Worcestershire after moving there from West Bromwich (part of Staffordshire, when he was born) while still a kid.

Birmingham partly in Staffordshire and Worcestershire as well as Warwickshire. Hollywood where Simon Le Bon-Bons was from was in Worcestershire.

I think.

wosl

West Bromwich is well enmeshed within the sprawl, where the Black Country abuts Birmingham, but Kidderminster and Redditch seem pretty self-contained.  I suppose borders are one thing, and 'feel' another. Bonham and Plant were in bands early that played the Birmingham circuit, pre LZ, and would've been far more a part of the scene than, say, Nick Drake, who grew up in a place at least as close to the city centre as Plant and Bonham did, but who was sent away to boarding schools, and who developed as an artist in isolation and/or away from there (South of France, Cambridge and London).

Norton Canes

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 21, 2019, 03:48:21 PM
I can only assume Spooky Tooth have consistently sold over the last four decades, thus outselling BSP and the rest

Fucks sake, I've only just noticed it says "The most successful artist by English county" by the side of the map