Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:26:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Bizzare Modern Reality of The Simpsons

Started by ajsmith2, August 22, 2019, 10:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8er83V2OJ1o

Would have added this to the massive and venerable 'when did the Simpsons Jump the Shark?' thread but after 6 years it seems to be no longer open for replies, and this probably deserves it's own thread anyhoo.

Anyway, the above is a half hour long fan made but well made doc contrasting and exploring the reality of what the show is like today with it's contemporary meaning in the world of memes and fan adaptations. Articulated a lot of thoughts I'd had on this topic as well as educating me about a few related phenomena I was unaware of. Well worth a watch. Very slightly spoiled by a few instances of played out 2010s vlogger style 'cut this sentence off just before the end for comic effect' but mainly gold.

Phil_A

Yeah it's a good video that, supereyepatchwolf is a great bunch of lads. Disappointed he didn't cover HOMRE IS DEAD though.

idunnosomename

i somehow think this that just came out is even more bizarre than any fan adaptions:

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1164222127999897601

An anti-Trump, pro-"the Squad" West Side Story pastiche that is so appallingly unfunny and embarrassing that it's getting ripped to shreds and basically no one left-wing wants to defend it

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 22, 2019, 03:38:15 PM
i somehow think this that just came out is even more bizarre than any fan adaptions:

An anti-Trump, pro-"the Squad" West Side Story pastiche that is so appallingly unfunny and embarrassing that it's getting ripped to shreds and basically no one left-wing wants to defend it
fuck me

ajsmith2

Bloody hell. Seriously, that could be a new low in terms of the latter day Simpsons attempts at relevance or 'satire'. Jesus Christ it is so, so bad. Bad on a level I didn't think possible. Surely, surely there can't be people who think they're really socking it to the Trump admin with this? It has to be some kind of meta joke, right?

That kind of thing doesn't contradict the premise of the original video I linked to, though. The video concludes by making the point that some of the more successful fan adaptations are based around seeking or building on the warmth and heart of classic 90s Simpsons that's been lost from the current version, and that it's the currently running official version that's the really bizarre creation in comparison.

It's not good, but it's not that bad. Better than most SNL fare these days. What's most shocking is that normally the Simpsons would have completed and aired this bit of topical comedy in approximately October 2022.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 22, 2019, 04:59:41 PM
It's not good, but it's not that bad. Better than most SNL fare these days. What's most shocking is that normally the Simpsons would have completed and aired this bit of topical comedy in approximately October 2022.

They've been doing these extra curricular topical online only bits in between series and episodes for a few years now, presumably in an attempt to get some of that sweet viral traction. The actual episodes themselves still tend to drag behind a few years topicality wise.

And I'll have to agree to disagree on it's worth, as I think this bit is very very bad. Tbf I haven't seen much recent SNL stuff, but it's hard for me to imagine anything satirically worse than this. SNL does have the advantage over The Simpsons in that no matter how weak it's material is does actively piss Trump off as he watches it and considers it an 'important' show, whereas despite being on Fox, I don't think Trump has ever commented on The Simpsons (Ted Cruz is known to be a huge fan though).

ajsmith2

Just noticed the line 'You're Boris Johnson without the class' on a rewatch. Not sure what level of sarcasm that was intended to hit on if any.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 22, 2019, 05:34:21 PM
Tbf I haven't seen much recent SNL stuff, but it's hard for me to imagine anything satirically worse than this.
At least the Simpsons never altered the tone of their show to entice Trump to appear. SNL's satire has been almost unbearable since Jost and Che took over Weekend Update - Che isn't helped by being kind of an obnoxious prick online, either.

idunnosomename

I didn't really mean to negate the argument of the video even if im not totally on board with it.

But that short is so exceptionally bad it's really a new low in the existence of the whole sorry franchise.

What have we got:

Well firstly it's patronising to everyone. Either you dislike Trump already are socially liberal and support Democrats, and don't need a cartoon to tell you that, or you're fed up with leftist libtard media telling you want to think.

What is actually going on? Is it an abstract music video, or a narrative with a musical edge? Why do they magically come out of the photograph, and then everything after that is fairly linear? Except... why is Trump scared of them? What threat do they pose? Are they going to beat him up?

The way they put every single superficial Trump thing in there - small hands, silly hair - it's really "orange man bad" personified.

The mixing on the music is so bad. It seems like it's gradually going to swell in and go into full musical mode, but it never does. Half the time I'm not sure if they're following the tune or not.

What the fuck even HAPPENS at the end? Why are the democrats doing the Can Can? Why does he... what?

And of course most of all it isn't funny. It's like an advert for the democrats except it doesn't make the case for any of their policies. In fact it probably more harm than good, though is anyone in America really on the left/right fence at this point?

Cf. this

It's attack on the GOP is balanced out with self-deprecation, so it doesnt look so fucking conceited. And hyperbole on both sides with also the sheer absurdity of the whole thing of an elephant going through two opposing conventions in quick succession. It's FUNNY!!!

Sin Agog

I don't like all the geek stridency I'm seeing on my youtube feed in these kinds of desktop docs these days.  You shouldn't be allowed to wax poetic about an online Simpsons Nier Automota parody without even a hint of a nervous stammer belying your inner-turmoil.  It's almost like these fuckers are happy being themselves.

Twed

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 22, 2019, 08:45:39 PM
I don't like all the geek stridency I'm seeing on my youtube feed in these kinds of desktop docs these days.  You shouldn't be allowed to wax poetic about an online Simpsons Nier Automota parody without even a hint of a nervous stammer belying your inner-turmoil.  It's almost like these fuckers are happy being themselves.
Oh god no, don't worry about that. Nobody is. They're just good at appearing that way online.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 22, 2019, 05:57:58 PM
Just noticed the line 'You're Boris Johnson without the class' on a rewatch. Not sure what level of sarcasm that was intended to hit on if any.

American so called satire seems particularly rubbish when it comes to the UK. The Simpsons mention of Johnson was probably intended to liken Johnson to Trump but will probably be read as "Johnson has class" by most UK viewers.

zomgmouse

I just don't understand why Bart and Lisa have skin-coloured hair OR a spiky scalp OR both. That's the bizarre modern reality I think

ajsmith2

Just watched these similarly (though perhaps not quite as bad the new one) lame Simpsons Trump 'viral' videos from recent years. (there are others too) Though the comments for both are mainly rightfully full of lamentations of poorness, strangely they don't have the huge dislike ratio the new one has, (currently 2793 likes to 31114 dislikes) in fact they are both safely on the thumbs up side. Does that mean a majority of people have actually been impressed by these things, or are their likes artificially boosted in some way? And if the latter, why weren't they able to help the new one get a less miserable ratio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YCGFLhrMkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq4FCuEaclA

Blumf

Trying to think of a way you could have a decent Trump episode like they did with Bush Snr. What scenario, who he'd interact with, how to portray him.

Best I can come up with is Trump sets up a burger bar in town, some rivalry with Krusty Burger.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 22, 2019, 06:19:02 PM
At least the Simpsons never altered the tone of their show to entice Trump to appear. SNL's satire has been almost unbearable since Jost and Che took over Weekend Update - Che isn't helped by being kind of an obnoxious prick online, either.

Shame really, as Che is a great stand-up. Never really thought Weekend Update was a good fit for him.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Blumf on August 23, 2019, 10:25:15 AM
Trying to think of a way you could have a decent Trump episode like they did with Bush Snr. What scenario, who he'd interact with, how to portray him.

Best I can come up with is Trump sets up a burger bar in town, some rivalry with Krusty Burger.

I don't know if it would be possible at this stage for anyone to successfully satirise Trump, least of all late late late period Simpsons. I've often thought of starting a thread asking if anyone had done an effective satire on him since he became president and if such a thing could even be possible. He already is like the ultimate cartoon asshole made flesh. He is as ludicrous and psychopathic as Jerkass Homer at his worst.

greenman

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 22, 2019, 08:45:39 PM

Have to agree with that, even as someone who overuses the word "really" that video became incredibly annoying and honestly the whole thing comes across as very self important to me.

A big issue with the Simpsons of course is that the presence of the actual show these days isn't mostly based around new episodes is it? its based around repeats of its best years.

idunnosomename

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 23, 2019, 10:10:43 AM
Just watched these similarly (though perhaps not quite as bad the new one) lame Simpsons Trump 'viral' videos from recent years. (there are others too) Though the comments for both are mainly rightfully full of lamentations of poorness, strangely they don't have the huge dislike ratio the new one has, (currently 2793 likes to 31114 dislikes) in fact they are both safely on the thumbs up side. Does that mean a majority of people have actually been impressed by these things, or are their likes artificially boosted in some way? And if the latter, why weren't they able to help the new one get a less miserable ratio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YCGFLhrMkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq4FCuEaclA
They're just not funny and a bit boring. I dont think they are as spectacularly embarrassing as the new one

Also the animation on the money. Christ almighty, so bad. compare it to "im a little... strapped for cash" tides of riches falling on Burns' head

(fuck, if they made a point of locking the door when Mueller went in, why could he just walk out?)

ajsmith2

Quote from: greenman on August 23, 2019, 02:33:54 PM
Have to agree with that, even as someone who overuses the word "really" that video became incredibly annoying and honestly the whole thing comes across as very self important to me.

A big issue with the Simpsons of course is that the presence of the actual show these days isn't mostly based around new episodes is it? its based around repeats of its best years.

I kind of agree with your first point despite still enjoying the video a lot. I see a lot of these homemade documentaries made by irritatingly eloquent and seemingly well adjusted young people using their ample free time to craft these desktop docs to educate their elders and it can't help but slightly get the back up. There's a Dr Who series I enjoy made by a young chap called Josh Snares that I have similar conflicted feelings over. But ultimately I have to admit do enjoy these kind of things when they're well done.

On your second point, well the point the videos making is that it's current presence and relevance in contemporary pop culture (particularly with young people) is greatly down to memes and fan derivations of it's best years. Simpsons repeat cycles don't tend to discriminate between eras (in fact the status quo nature of the show is designed to facilitate a 'chuck 'em on in any order' lack of consideration, despite the fact that after 30 years the contrast between series can't help but be jarring) so I don't agree that terrestrial repeats are the main source of it's appeal these days. The pool is so polluted by later bad ones now there's only a 1 n 3 chance of chancing upon a classic on any random rerun.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Blumf on August 23, 2019, 10:25:15 AM

That wasn't a decent episode.

Glebe

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 22, 2019, 03:38:15 PMi somehow think this that just came out is even more bizarre than any fan adaptions:

Fuck me, that is absolutely diabolical.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 23, 2019, 01:58:28 PM
I don't know if it would be possible at this stage for anyone to successfully satirise Trump, least of all late late late period Simpsons. I've often thought of starting a thread asking if anyone had done an effective satire on him since he became president and if such a thing could even be possible. He already is like the ultimate cartoon asshole made flesh. He is as ludicrous and psychopathic as Jerkass Homer at his worst.

Perhaps having him on his own in the Oval Office acting all refined and G.H.W. Bush like,  and then when someone rings up turning into the Trump we all see?

Actually probably not.

Something showing how little he knows or cares about working class America?

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2019, 05:15:59 PM
Perhaps having him on his own in the Oval Office acting all refined and G.H.W. Bush like,  and then when someone rings up turning into the Trump we all see?

Actually probably not.

That first idea was already done, and brilliantly, by SNL in 1986 about a different president: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

But really, no, there's nothing left to scrape from that shallow barrel. You can still get fairly effective comedy through the reactions of non-insane un-idiots to Trump's insane idiocy, but caricaturing a caricature is just gilding the shit-stained lily (with gold-plated shit). (Pity poor Alec Baldwin.) There may be some juice left in satirizing his minions, flacks, lackeys and lickspittles, but I don't think even that much - they're all pretty much one-note horror shows, right down the line. I speak on this from bitter experience - I've been involved with a political-satire podcast for a few years now, and I certainly haven't been able to come up with too many fresh angles on this hellscape we're in, and, judging by the general writing/performance level from most of the other contributors, neither can anybody else.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 23, 2019, 03:01:04 PM
I kind of agree with your first point despite still enjoying the video a lot. I see a lot of these homemade documentaries made by irritatingly eloquent and seemingly well adjusted young people using their ample free time to craft these desktop docs to educate their elders and it can't help but slightly get the back up. There's a Dr Who series I enjoy made by a young chap called Josh Snares that I have similar conflicted feelings over. But ultimately I have to admit do enjoy these kind of things when they're well done.

Thanks for the link. I found it utterly fascinating. I'm an old git who doesn't have a problem with well adjusted young people with  irritating eloquence. If what the person is saying is passionate and interesting then bring it on!

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 22, 2019, 06:33:34 PM

It's attack on the GOP is balanced out with self-deprecation, so it doesnt look so fucking conceited. And hyperbole on both sides with also the sheer absurdity of the whole thing of an elephant going through two opposing conventions in quick succession. It's FUNNY!!!

It was years before I got the relavence of the elephant in that. Great bit!

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2019, 05:15:59 PM

Actually probably not.

He's so out of touch he doesnt even know the price of milk, which sets him off and he calls all milkmen illegal immigrant rapists.

shh

It's worth having someone like this to valiantly sieve through the catacombs of cultural detritus, but ultimately how interested can you be in what is largely uninspired pastiche, the odd inspired gem of creativity aside.

What I did inadvertently learn from watching it, only having a vague memory of the steamed ham episode, is that it's obviously the simpsons attempt at doing a 2-minute fawlty towers episode. Even the minimal topography of the set is similar; kitchen & dining room, separated by a door. I suppose you could make an argument that the episode is then already an animated pastiche of the original live-action (itself Cleese's attempt at a Feydeau play), although obviously these 'memes' will only have resonance if you are aware of their points of reference.

beanheadmcginty

Something involving Groundskeeper Willy and Scottish golf courses might work for Trump