Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Bizzare Modern Reality of The Simpsons

Started by ajsmith2, August 22, 2019, 10:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

The Trump impression is pretty bad in the web shorts too. Who's doing it, Dan Castellaneta? Would explain why it's so non-committal

Mr. Ssmsslth

ajsmith2

While there's been no word from Trump, Ben Garrison has been triggered by the new terrible Simpsons Trump thing into drawing this response cartoon, based around the Matt Groening/Jeffrey Epstein story of a few weeks back. I have to say, his blurb for this one is probably the most I've ever agreed with anything he's ever written. Having said that, I'm sure he would have said it was unfunny even if it had been the best satire ever just cos it dared to attempt to attack his best boy Trump.

THE LOLISA EXPRESS
The creator of 'The Simpsons,' Matt Groening, allegedly received a foot massage from a 15 year-old girl while traveling aboard Epstein's 'Lolita Express.'

The now (supposedly) deceased billionaire insisted that the cartoonist receive a foot massage from one of the young females aboard. She was repulsed by his dirty feet and yellow, crusty (the clown?) toenails. She had to use a washcloth on his feet before she rubbed them. At least Groening was kind enough to draw her a Simpsons character as a thank you gift.

Normally I would never draw a thing such as this, but after seeing a clip of a recent 'Simpsons' episode that clumsily attacked President Trump, I decided...what the heck. I saw the excerpt on the Internet. It was not funny in the slightest, and the satire was heavy handed. I have not watched 'The Simpsons' in several decades and I'm baffled about how it can be sustained...year after year after year. It's as old, overgrown and disgusting as Groening's toenails.

bgmnts

How can Ben Garrison criticise a satire for being heavy handed, with a straight face?

Blumf

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 23, 2019, 03:06:11 PM
That wasn't a decent episode.

The Overton Window on Simpsons episodes has moved too far to the crap.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on August 25, 2019, 05:03:29 PM
How can Ben Garrison criticise a satire for being heavy handed, with a straight face?
James L. Brooks didn't label all the members of the squad

Jumblegraws

The AV Club heartily recommend all manner of mediocre or outright poor pieces of web comedy, so you know something's bad when even they think it's shite: https://news.avclub.com/we-regret-to-inform-you-that-the-latest-simpsons-trump-1837458219

Did anyone else wince a little at the line "We're more American than your wife"? I get that it was targeting Trump's selective xenophobia, but it still had to invoke, however mockingly, some notion of national purity to get there.

bgmnts

The first notable comment on the video was sonething along the lines of 'celebrating noted anti-semites' or something. And I was just done.

idunnosomename

i watched it again and i winced at every line because it's so fucking bad

Chriddof

QuoteThe now (supposedly) deceased billionaire

Erm...?

ajsmith2

Quote from: Chriddof on August 27, 2019, 12:00:02 AM
Erm...?

I assume just part of a special conspiracy theory that hasn't made it out of the most rarefied of right wing echo chambers. Probably something like he was chosen and recruited into Hillary's secret subterranean army of super predators or something.

Mister Six

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 22, 2019, 10:27:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8er83V2OJ1o

Very good video, that, with plenty that I'll go off and explore in my own time. I do wish he'd realise how much he relies on "and then something interest happens" or "and what's so (pause for emphasis) interest" and variants though. They're coming almost every other sentence at some points.

He should also avoid doing jokes because he's not funny, and that's clearly not the appeal of his bids anyway.

Still, good stuff.

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on August 27, 2019, 12:07:05 PM
Very good video, that, with plenty that I'll go off and explore in my own time. I do wish he'd realise how much he relies on "and then something interest happens" or "and what's so (pause for emphasis) interest" and variants though. They're coming almost every other sentence at some points.

He should also avoid doing jokes because he's not funny, and that's clearly not the appeal of his bids anyway.

Still, good stuff.

I couldn't get more than a minute into the video because it uses that fucking American podcast voice.

BritishHobo

Quote from: bgmnts on August 25, 2019, 08:04:57 PM
The first notable comment on the video was sonething along the lines of 'celebrating noted anti-semites' or something. And I was just done.

I said on Twitter (I know, I know) that it was pretty fucking precious to be offended by the video, and I was asked 'how do you feel about Jews?'

Is this the world now?

alan nagsworth

The overall point of the video was valid and interesting enough that I could sit through the whole half an hour of his interminable voice work but I feel like portraying meme culture as some sort of Wizard of Oz-like mystical force in 2019 is pretty short-sighted. It just feels like the dude wanted to piggyback on the trend of Zombie Simpsons critique and realised all this stuff hadn't yet been compiled into one thinkpiece under a channel as popular as his.

Also this thing of pulling back the veil on vintage pop culture and revealing the dark world behind it is nothing new in the slightest. Peanuts was repurposed with Smiths lyrics, there was the video with all the people-less shots in Seinfeld which is exactly the same as Scenic Simpsons, Garfield has its own entire subculture called "I'm Sorry Jon" and The Venture Bros has had this as the flaming core of its entire premise since it's humble beginning 15 years ago.

Still, memes though eh lads! Aren't they mental

Mister Six

Laughed myself into near-agony watching that. Thanks!

Blumf

The preview image for the second one is brilliant on it's own:

Leo2112

Also a special mention to Sugarposting, which is going on to hit new heights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZYtDzMtGI

Thursday

It sort of worries me how funny I find this, like this makes me break down into tears of laughter more than any other recent comedy. What is going on with my Brain? I feel like there must be some kind of scientific explanation for what makes it funny.

Apart from "I'm a fucking idiot."

cincoveces05

Seeing Simpsons here on a comedy forum I like

I've just got myself Disney+, I'd still consider The Simpsons one of my favourite comedies ever, but stopped watching literally 15 years ago (think season 17 was my last, when the dvds stopped)

I know nothing will touch seasons 4-8 but is anything in the 20's worth watching at all?  Or does it just continue being parodies and the wacky adventures of immortal Homer?

Small Man Big Horse

Yes.

But I'm too drunk to go in to details, and it's only about five episodes a year.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: cincoveces05 on May 23, 2020, 11:32:06 PM
Seeing Simpsons here on a comedy forum I like

I've just got myself Disney+, I'd still consider The Simpsons one of my favourite comedies ever, but stopped watching literally 15 years ago (think season 17 was my last, when the dvds stopped)

I know nothing will touch seasons 4-8 but is anything in the 20's worth watching at all?  Or does it just continue being parodies and the wacky adventures of immortal Homer?

Don't think so. Sugarposting and mendozaposting and the like negates the need for new episodes and sugarposting 3 is funnier than the last 20 seasons put together.

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 24, 2020, 12:59:56 AM
Don't think so. Sugarposting and mendozaposting and the like negates the need for new episodes and sugarposting 3 is funnier than the last 20 seasons put together.

A few months ago and I was on the bus on the way home from work.

A young lad a few seats ahead of me was watching an episode of The Simpsons on his phone. I couldn't see the video but could hear it. Christ but I hadn't realised how bad it had got.

It was like a script read-through with everyone reading their lines in their character's voices - no interaction or sense that this was a bunch of people in the same vicinity creating a comedy show. After ten minutes I could pretty much tell when the next character would speak it was so predictable with each characters doing a by-the-numbers 'bit'.

Jim Bob

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 24, 2020, 12:50:08 AM
Yes.

But I'm too drunk to go in to details, and it's only about five episodes a year.

The AV Club's reviews are quite good for finding the non-terrible modern Simpsons episodes, although they don't cover every season; 23 to present and some older ones. Anyone know other guides?