Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:39:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Bizzare Modern Reality of The Simpsons

Started by ajsmith2, August 22, 2019, 10:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nehamkin

It feels like every 3 years or so they put out an episode that manages to generate some critical goodwill, then there'll be a bit of buzz on social media of people going "ooh, they did a good Simpsons again, ooh", then I'll grudgingly give the episode a watch and maybe do that quasi-laughing thing of blowing air out through my nose two or three times but generally be completely nonplussed.

The last episode I remember finding vaguely enjoyable was "Holidays of Future Passed" from 2011 - a flashforward episode that was intended to serve as a potential series finale in the event that the cast salary negotiations which were going on at the time of production were to break down. I haven't watched it since it came out but I remember it having a handful of nice, heartfelt character beats that felt about as true to the spirit of the early seasons as the Jean era has ever managed to capture.

Just whatever you do don't follow that up with "Days of Future Future", the sequel they did a couple of years later, which is one of the shittest episodes I've ever seen of anything.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 26, 2020, 11:02:40 AM
and maybe do that quasi-laughing thing of blowing air out through my nose

which is exactly what i did at this

C_Larence

Glad this got bumped because I caught the last half of a "recent" episode on Channel 4 earlier and need somewhere to vent. From what I could gather, Bart had kissed a girl in class. I turned it on as her attorney parents were threatening to sue the school unless Skinner banned any form of affection from being shown. It wasn't great, but my real issue was with the sub plot.

I watched as Lisa posted on her horticulture blog and immediately received a comment from someone with the username "Flotus1". Now, perhaps it was naive of me to expect a subversion from the obvious, but I thought perhaps there was going to be a "there all is aching" from Review style reveal. "Perhaps the F will stand for Frink, and then Lotus like the flower" I foolishly thought, until 5 minutes later when a helicopter landed in the middle of the school playground and Michelle Obama stepped out to tell Lisa how much she enjoyed her blog.

Don't worry though, there was a joke surrounding the name after all! You see, her name was "Flotus1" because "Flotus" was taken! Pick yourself up from the floor because there's more! You see, the name "Flotus", was actually taken by none other than Rupert Grint Ralph Wiggum! "Because I wear my floatus when I swim", he says, standing in the middle of the playground, wearing his swimming gear because SIMPSONS WRITERS DON'T HAVE FUCKING OBJECT PERMANENCE AND THINK IF THEY CAN'T SEE SOMETHING IT IT DOESN'T FUCKING EXIST.
Bart then falls off the roof of the school and it looks like he's dead but then the girl he kissed kicks Principal Skinner in the head with a skateboard and does CPR on him.

The "kids news" and "garbage man" episodes from Season 9 were on after, and seemed like masterpieces in comparison.

samadriel

All Surrogate

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on June 15, 2020, 05:01:13 AM
Glad this got bumped because I caught the last half of a "recent" episode on Channel 4 earlier and need somewhere to vent. From what I could gather, Bart had kissed a girl in class. I turned it on as her attorney parents were threatening to sue the school unless Skinner banned any form of affection from being shown. It wasn't great, but my real issue was with the sub plot.

I watched as Lisa posted on her horticulture blog and immediately received a comment from someone with the username "Flotus1". Now, perhaps it was naive of me to expect a subversion from the obvious, but I thought perhaps there was going to be a "there all is aching" from Review style reveal. "Perhaps the F will stand for Frink, and then Lotus like the flower" I foolishly thought, until 5 minutes later when a helicopter landed in the middle of the school playground and Michelle Obama stepped out to tell Lisa how much she enjoyed her blog.

Don't worry though, there was a joke surrounding the name after all! You see, her name was "Flotus1" because "Flotus" was taken! Pick yourself up from the floor because there's more! You see, the name "Flotus", was actually taken by none other than Rupert Grint Ralph Wiggum! "Because I wear my floatus when I swim", he says, standing in the middle of the playground, wearing his swimming gear because SIMPSONS WRITERS DON'T HAVE FUCKING OBJECT PERMANENCE AND THINK IF THEY CAN'T SEE SOMETHING IT IT DOESN'T FUCKING EXIST.
Bart then falls off the roof of the school and it looks like he's dead but then the girl he kissed kicks Principal Skinner in the head with a skateboard and does CPR on him.

The "kids news" and "garbage man" episodes from Season 9 were on after, and seemed like masterpieces in comparison.

That sounds about as bad as I imagine modern Simpsons to be.