Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2019 part II: arise King Jofra

Started by sevendaughters, August 22, 2019, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

How do you all keep on top of county cricket? Obviously now's not the best time really, but what would a cricket casual who might want to go deeper do to fill the void do next?

Cuellar

A lot of the counties (or maybe not lots, but several certainly) live stream their games on youtube. Static camera pointing at the batsman, but still.

sevendaughters

i just have cricinfo tabs open on a couple of games. i'm not going deep, i do actually have some work to do. normally I'd have Lancs and whatever internationals were on, but not arsed about Scotland v Netherlands in a T20 so going around the grounds and dipping in to matches where no promotion or relegation is in play so people are just punting it about like a beer match.

Inspector Norse

I went to day 2 of the Roses game at Headingley in 1998 and got Glenn Chapple's autograph so I am a qualified expert on county cricket.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 16, 2019, 05:27:15 PM
I went to day 2 of the Roses game at Headingley in 1998 and got Glenn Chapple's autograph so I am a qualified expert on county cricket.

I saw Boris (Chapple's nickname for those not acquainted with Lancs minutae) just outside work a few months ago. Genuine chills. A real hero of mine.

iamcoop

Still puzzled by Root's treatment of Woaksey this summer. Further to the points everyone else has made once Anderson retires surely it's the big man that's gonna step up and become the new ball swing bowler for us so what better way than to blood him into that role over the Ashes. It's not like he's a nervous debutant. Archer is not and should not be a new ball bowler. I'm also puzzled as to why no journalists have bothered to ask Root why he barely fucking bowled him all summer. There was talk of him carrying an injury at some point but that discussion seems to have disappeared.

TL:DR Root's captaincy has been absolutely dreck this summer. Can anyone think of one moment out of five tests where he's done something that's made you think "fucking hell thats inspired"?

Thursday

He was quite good at DRS calls to be fair. I mean... at least in comparison.

Pranet

Quote from: Cuellar on September 16, 2019, 04:49:30 PM
A lot of the counties (or maybe not lots, but several certainly) live stream their games on youtube. Static camera pointing at the batsman, but still.

BBC do radio commentary as well.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteTL:DR Root's captaincy has been absolutely dreck this summer. Can anyone think of one moment out of five tests where he's done something that's made you think "fucking hell thats inspired"?

Brought himself on and got a wicket I guess.

Next Wednesday when he finally realises and walks in front of a car going just fast enough to finish the job.

sevendaughters

Ben Stokes sticks the boot in on The Sun
https://twitter.com/benstokes38/status/1173893834377441280

(the story so you don't go giving them clicks - before Ben was born, his mother's previous husband murdered their two children - Ben's half-sister and -brother)

sevendaughters

back in the maniac end of season County Championship, Kyle Abbott takes 9-40 in a meaningful match.

Genuinely, I hope the staff of the Sun newspaper actually do die of AIDS.

They've never been anything less than awful though have they?

Maybe 'the barmy army' or whoever might go down the Merseyside route of organising some kind of boycott.

Thursday

It's always nice when The Sun does something that crosses political boundaries in making everyone think, "Wow, what a bunch of absolute cunts"

sevendaughters

their justification ("it was in the public domain") is so flimsy. like, you could imagine a future Ben Stokes piece in a quality outlet written by someone with sensitivity that mentions the tale as part of his history but doesn't let it overshadow anything (because he wasn't fucking alive!) - so you can 'justify' retelling the story. but going and stirring it all up, fucking hell, what a low bunch of bitter bastards.

Inspector Norse

I saw that England Cricket posted a supportive message on Instagram and a lot of international cricket fans have seen it and are posting their support for Stokes and hatred of a paper that they don't even have in their countries.

Apart from a few Indians who are still crying about not winning the World Cup that is.

Still, at least they can eat their feelings with a big bowl of dogshit.

sevendaughters

in terms of cricket I hate India way more than Australia. Hell, I quite like Australia if truth be told. They play hard and they're good foils for us. I'm not actually as partisan about cricket as I might come across online. But India's team and India's fans are spectacularly annoying.

Completely agree. I didn't want the WC, didn't care about the Ashes, I just wanted India cricket to fail and they did. Our flukey insane final win only made their failure even more agonising. Cunts are still choking on it. Gonna revel for the rest of my life.

Pranet

Quote from: Thursday on September 17, 2019, 08:34:16 PM
It's always nice when The Sun does something that crosses political boundaries in making everyone think, "Wow, what a bunch of absolute cunts"

Unfortunately it isn't everyone, I wish it was. The people who hate the Sun will continue to hate it, the people who buy the Sun will continue to buy it.

It would perhaps be good if the ECB did something like stop Sun reporters access to the England team or something, (I know it isn't the sports team doing this but hey life is hard) but they won't.

iamcoop

Quote from: Pranet on September 17, 2019, 11:59:52 PM
Unfortunately it isn't everyone, I wish it was. The people who hate the Sun will continue to hate it, the people who buy the Sun will continue to buy it.

It would perhaps be good if the ECB did something like stop Sun reporters access to the England team or something, (I know it isn't the sports team doing this but hey life is hard) but they won't.

I know we all have to make a living but I've often wondered what John Etheridge's justification for working for The Sun is given he always comes across as being reasonable and affable whenever he's been on TMS.

EOLAN

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 17, 2019, 10:13:36 PM
in terms of cricket I hate India way more than Australia. Hell, I quite like Australia if truth be told. They play hard and they're good foils for us. I'm not actually as partisan about cricket as I might come across online. But India's team and India's fans are spectacularly annoying.

One of the best sporting atmosphere's I was at was a 20/20 game between India and Ireland in Malahide. As for best/maybe different would be more accurate. A few fights breaking out between fans and the absolute biggest cheer and celebration was when India lost a wicket so that they could get MS Dhoni come in to bat.
Not sure if England fans would be as fanatically delighted to ever see Jason Roy get out so that Ben Stokes could stride majestically out to the middle.

sevendaughters

sadly my one experience with an India crowd was a bit more subdued. 2014 test at Old Trafford, day 3. we hoofed it around for a session and then we knocked them over in their second innings for piss all to win by an innings. I even said to my pal when their first wicket went down (think it was Vijay trapped by Woakes) got  "we'll win this today" and the grumpy Indian dad in front of me seemed to agree.

Harry Badger

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 18, 2019, 12:07:51 PM
sadly my one experience with an India crowd was a bit more subdued. 2014 test at Old Trafford, day 3. we hoofed it around for a session and then we knocked them over in their second innings for piss all to win by an innings. I even said to my pal when their first wicket went down (think it was Vijay trapped by Woakes) got  "we'll win this today" and the grumpy Indian dad in front of me seemed to agree.

Was that the game where Broad got his nose rearranged?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Interesting Bayliss interview on Cricinfo.

Confusing contradictions really. Loads of opinions on county cricket, never watches any. Says things we were all screaming at the TV but didn't have any effect on them.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Harry Badger on September 18, 2019, 01:23:51 PM
Was that the game where Broad got his nose rearranged?

yeah. saw it live. rough from my side-on view. he still ended up MOM.

sevendaughters

Bayliss is off to work in that steak guy's restaurant

Also Sibley's just about to go to his second 200+ of the season, the only Div 1 bat over 1000 runs. Maybe end of season cash-in happening, but think he should be on the plane to New Zealand with this.

Cuellar

There's a kid playing for Ireland in the T20 against Netherlands called Harry Tector.

Must be a joke name.

Yours sincerely, Metal D. Tector
Yours sincerely, Smoke D. Tector
Yours sincerely, Carbon Monoxide D. Tector