Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:16:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2019 part II: arise King Jofra

Started by sevendaughters, August 22, 2019, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thursday on October 11, 2019, 11:02:52 AM
I mean part of what's going on here, is Bloodwyn wants to be able to sneer and take the high ground. Truth and morality isn't actually what he cares about.

The rest of us don't know for sure what the exact truth is, it may be that he's an abusive arsehole, but I also don't know whether to trust the tabloids on this one.

I don't take the high ground. I'm right in the mire, just keeping your GODS in check.

rjd2

Ranking the toughness of winning a minimum three test series away from home

India
England
New Zealand
South Africa

Not much between the rest, UAE used to be a fortress but retirements mean the test team is poor right now.

sevendaughters

can't wait for the NZ tour. first test in just over a month. would love to go as a tourist, the two tests aren't even that far from each other.

sevendaughters

very nice. reminds me of the judo couple who first met as opponents in an Olympic final.

Cuellar

Women's sports in general seem to have a large amount of gay participants. Women's rugby at uni was well known for it, women's football clearly is too, likewise cricket.

iamcoop

And we're off.

Aggers is a cunt but I love him

iamcoop

HERE COMES LOKI.

Aggers and coney. Strap yourself in boys.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: iamcoop on November 01, 2019, 12:51:28 AM
Aggers is a cunt but I love him

Pervert.

BBC Sounds 5 live sports extra for the replay. Wanking to Jeremy Coney's voice in your grief cubicle at work.

Inspector Norse

Decent win that, OK NZ had no Kane or Boult but England had no Roy, Buttler or Stokes. Quite nice to see Vince do well even if I'm down on him generally, there's a place in T20 for strokeplayers rather than big hitters and he can get runs at this level where luck often trumps judgement and patience.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: rjd2 on October 11, 2019, 11:38:10 AM
Ranking the toughness of winning a minimum three test series away from home

India
England
New Zealand
South Africa

Not much between the rest, UAE used to be a fortress but retirements mean the test team is poor right now.

Don't have the stats to hand, can pull them tomorrow, but if a team win the toss at home their chance of winning is something like 74%, over the last 5-10 years. India have something like a 97% win rate.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 01, 2019, 10:11:34 AM
Decent win that, OK NZ had no Kane or Boult but England had no Roy, Buttler or Stokes. Quite nice to see Vince do well even if I'm down on him generally, there's a place in T20 for strokeplayers rather than big hitters and he can get runs at this level where luck often trumps judgement and patience.

What can Lewis Gregory take from today? A cap and a win? The problem with T20, and likely too with the Hundred, is that a player can not contribute anything. That must suck a bit for a pro sportsman. It's worse than being twelfth man.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on November 01, 2019, 10:24:37 AM
What can Lewis Gregory take from today? A cap and a win?

It was a bit odd that they didn't use him, even if the other bowlers were doing a good job, as the point of these games was supposedly to take a look at the fringe and new players.
This morning Gregory did get a bowl and took a wicket with his first ball, and went at less than 6 an over, but still only got the two overs, while Mahmood got four despite going all round the park. Someone in the England setup just has a "thing" for guys who can bowl really fast, I think.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Still obsessed with pace, aye due to all the drubbings down under. I don't recall our attack of Anderson / Tremlett / Bresnan being express pace exactly, and Anderson has been our best bowler last few times out, but there you go.

In fact going down through history we have routinely failed in that department by picking expensive wayward but fast bowlers when someone who could hit a line and length 95% of the time would have been better.

For the record I reckon these guys are worth a try, but it is slightly diluting international cricket to Lions standard.

sevendaughters

Mahmood - and I say this as a blind defender of anything Lancastrian - is not an international T20 bowler.

What's worse, being an international T20 bowler or not being one?

poo

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Inspector Norse

Another game, another chance for Gregory to stand around on the boundary for a bit.

Seems they've picked him for his batting rather than his bowling, in which case send him in higher.

Or indeed in which case pick someone who's a genuine batsman.

Brutal from Malan and Morgan earlier. Now watch them drop Malan when the big names come back.

sevendaughters

being circumspect on Parkinson even though I like him. when you're chasing a mammoth you'll have to hit anything tossed up above the eyeline. I'd have fancied myself to take one wicket with a miscued slog today. Still, he took 4/46, so good stuff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Always likely to take a few wickets with that level of scoreboard pressure. Christ, like you say, most of us might be able to toss some grubbers that get lbw or caught in the deep. Shit format.

I have always had a theory that Jeremy Snape's 'moon ball' was an accident, and then he bowled it deliberately afterwards, then he became a sports psychologist to further argue the science behind the delivery.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My least favourite cricketers are dour 'spinners' who bat just about well enough to get in the side. T20 seems to give oxygen to these slugs as they plow away with their dreck.

Snape, Yardy et al, get tae fuck.

Jordan squeezing these third world cunts in another super over.

Two balls.

Hahaha to lose one super over in a year is unfortunate.

De Grandhomme dairy farming. Neesham Cabs. Southee sports bar and grill. Make it happen. You got lucky enough to get paid well for getting beat badly by England many times over, we done you a favour letting you flounder in our wake. Now it's time to move on. Cricket NZ is finished. Rugby NZ is over. Let the country sink into the ocean. Bring on global warming ASAP as a favour

sevendaughters

NZ aren't massive grandstanding dicks at cricket, if anything in this rivalry WE'RE the dicks. That said very funny stuff.

Bit miffed about Bairstow weaving his way back in. Even Aggers was giving it "well he's back in form". AT WHITE BALL CRICKET.

sevendaughters

ugh Banton sounds like every dreary public schoolboy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteDe Grandhomme dairy farming. Neesham Cabs. Southee sports bar and grill.

I laughed.

One of the least meaningful series of cricket for both sides though. Other than the fringe players and those out of form everyone else must feel like it's burnout.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 10, 2019, 09:14:50 AM
NZ aren't massive grandstanding dicks at cricket, if anything in this rivalry WE'RE the dicks. That said very funny stuff.

Bit miffed about Bairstow weaving his way back in. Even Aggers was giving it "well he's back in form". AT WHITE BALL CRICKET.

Looks like he's being packed off home now, though, with Denly set to return in the next mickey mouse game and Crawley scoring a ton today. A top seven of Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler has been set, with Crawley as twelfth man.
Silverwood talking a lot about old-fashioned test batting and Sibley taking 50 balls to reach double figures before accelerating today, so cue getting bowled out for 8 by Boult-Southee-Wagner next week.