Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:46:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2019 part II: arise King Jofra

Started by sevendaughters, August 22, 2019, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

South Africa have been shite, but that was still good to see. And yeah pretty shameless from Root, but come on, it would have been hilarious, I don't begrudge him having a go, he's just took it that one over too long.

Anyway, I'm sure now people will be measured and won't gain any undue overconfidence because of a dominant victory...

gilbertharding

Quote from: Thursday on January 20, 2020, 10:13:43 PM
Anyway, I'm sure now people will be measured and won't gain any undue overconfidence because of a dominant victory...

Yeah - papering over the cracks, innit?

Call me old fashioned - but during the match I tried to catch up on the scores using the BBC red button 'ceefax' type thing (whatever it's called) - and on the cricket pages there was no mention of this game whatsoever. Once it was over you could read a two-page report on the day's play - but nothing 'live' whatsoever. I had to check on my phone in the end.

What's that all about?

FredNurke

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 21, 2020, 11:38:31 AM

Call me old fashioned - but during the match I tried to catch up on the scores using the BBC red button 'ceefax' type thing (whatever it's called) - and on the cricket pages there was no mention of this game whatsoever. Once it was over you could read a two-page report on the day's play - but nothing 'live' whatsoever. I had to check on my phone in the end.

What's that all about?

It's getting switched off at the end of the month, so I'm guessing they're getting a bit lax about updating it. Father is furious.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 21, 2020, 11:39:22 AM
Stick to sumo, lads.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8368/scorecard/1204685/india-under-19s-vs-japan-under-19s-11th-match-group-a-icc-under-19-world-cup-2019-20

reading that Bishnoi, the Indian twirler, was being Billy Showboat against a team that have barely picked up a bat.

During the twilight of his spell, he approached the crease from the opposite side of the wicket to his regular approach, crossing in front of the umpire before delivering right-arm over.

It was nothing if not experimental. But against a Japan side who were being left for dust, it was unnecessary and smacked of arrogance. The victory was all-but secured by this point.

Harry Badger

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 21, 2020, 12:42:44 PM
reading that Bishnoi, the Indian twirler, was being Billy Showboat against a team that have barely picked up a bat.

During the twilight of his spell, he approached the crease from the opposite side of the wicket to his regular approach, crossing in front of the umpire before delivering right-arm over.

It was nothing if not experimental. But against a Japan side who were being left for dust, it was unnecessary and smacked of arrogance. The victory was all-but secured by this point.

I recorded the game in anticipation of this kind of thing. Japan only scored 22 off the bat, the rest were wides or legbyes.

gilbertharding

Quote from: FredNurke on January 21, 2020, 11:45:11 AM
It's getting switched off at the end of the month, so I'm guessing they're getting a bit lax about updating it. Father is furious.

They had scores for all the other matches which were occurring at the same time. Odd.

I assumed it was a rights thing.

shoulders

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 21, 2020, 11:39:22 AM
Stick to sumo, lads.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8368/scorecard/1204685/india-under-19s-vs-japan-under-19s-11th-match-group-a-icc-under-19-world-cup-2019-20

That one who carefully left a ball aimed at the stumps, going straight on and hitting the stumps is one to watch. An Ian Bell in our midst.

I take it their side is largely comprised of bored kids of wealthy ex-pats.

Cuellar

Is the KK Dobell any relation to the George Dobell of Cricinfo?

Harry Badger

Quote from: shoulders on January 21, 2020, 08:48:23 PM
That one who carefully left a ball aimed at the stumps, going straight on and hitting the stumps is one to watch. An Ian Bell in our midst.

I take it their side is largely comprised of bored kids of wealthy ex-pats.

Some of them were, a few were native Japanese. The aforementioned legspinner was massively taking the piss with his run-up and the umpire had a quiet word with him at the end of the over. I wish them well but I'm not sure if they are going to learn much from this kind of hiding.

sevendaughters

been watching a fair bit of ZIM-SL. ZIM have prepped a road and it's still in the first innings at tea on day 4 (there was a bit of rain but not much). ZIM's attack is a decent county-level pace attack with Tiripano, Nyauchi, and Kyle Jarvis but there's fuck all to work with and all of their spinners are bang average. Test cricket at its most purist, if being kind.

Thursday

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 21, 2020, 11:38:31 AM

What's that all about?

I just go the BBC sports website and look at the cricket pages as there's live updates there

Inspector Norse

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 22, 2020, 12:56:21 PM
been watching a fair bit of ZIM-SL. ZIM have prepped a road and it's still in the first innings at tea on day 4 (there was a bit of rain but not much). ZIM's attack is a decent county-level pace attack with Tiripano, Nyauchi, and Kyle Jarvis but there's fuck all to work with and all of their spinners are bang average. Test cricket at its most purist, if being kind.

Just looked at the scoresheet and one thing I noticed is that Zimbabwe have a concussion sub opening in the second innings. Poor guy who had to retire had made a fifty on debut in the first as well. And the guy who's replaced him has only played three first-class matches before, is that a record?

First test double ton for Mathews in the SL innings but hard to know in a match like that how much it's really worth.

shoulders

Inspector Norse

Lots of chat about whether Archer will come back into the side, especially as it's supposedly a quick wicket. Wood was good in the last test but can he manage two games in a week? And if so, do you drop Curran and weaken the batting, or Bess and risk relying on Root and Denly as your spinners?

I'd probably make a call on whichever of Wood and Archer looks in best shape.

And while everyone's been talking about Wood, Bess, Stokes, Pope etc, Broad has quietly got the best bowling figures of the series for either side. Rabada has more wickets but has gone for almost twice as many runs.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Thursday on January 22, 2020, 05:57:59 PM
I just go the BBC sports website and look at the cricket pages as there's live updates there

Oh aye - I know there are other places to go (and the BBC website is the last of these), but I happened to be watching telly, without my phone to hand, and wondered what the score was.

shoulders

With Wood if he's fit just play him. He'll pull up in training anyway if you rest him. Archer needs more TLC given he is going to be replacing Broad long term.

sevendaughters

compelling final session in the ZIM-SL test. ZIM are net 6 for 7 trying to see out the session to seal the draw, SL just got the new ball and are sending it round corners. For a game with relatively few watching feels high stakes for one team at least.

Inspector Norse

Disappointed to see that SL won comfortably in the end after Zimbabwe folded. I checked at lunch and they were cruising at 120-3 then both set batsmen got out straight away.

Did waste a little while at work googling classic Zimbabwe cricketers from their golden age in the '90s before politics destroyed them. Heath Streak and those guys. Here they are beating England back when England thought Mike Atherton should be playing ODIs. Worth watching for the stroke from Darren Gough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lERj1Zw4ceE

sevendaughters

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 23, 2020, 07:05:02 PM
Disappointed to see that SL won comfortably in the end after Zimbabwe folded. I checked at lunch and they were cruising at 120-3 then both set batsmen got out straight away.

Did waste a little while at work googling classic Zimbabwe cricketers from their golden age in the '90s before politics destroyed them. Heath Streak and those guys. Here they are beating England back when England thought Mike Atherton should be playing ODIs. Worth watching for the stroke from Darren Gough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lERj1Zw4ceE

the state of that kit, Thorpe looks like he has two parachutes on his arm.

as for the test against SL, Zim did alright. They didn't just fold and nearly all of their batsmen got stuck in but SL's experience showed at the various restarts.

Andy Flower was the nuts as a player.

Inspector Norse

Pissing it down at the Wanderers and play unlikely today apparently.

Just on the day I'm off work with a sick kid as well. Guess we're in for a Catan Junior marathon instead then.

Thursday

What kind of bullshit is this. South Africa is rainier than the UK? Sort it out South Africa.

druss

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 23, 2020, 08:18:54 AM

And while everyone's been talking about Wood, Bess, Stokes, Pope etc, Broad has quietly got the best bowling figures of the series for either side. Rabada has more wickets but has gone for almost twice as many runs.
I know Anderson (rightly) gets the plaudits as being one of our best bowlers ever but Broad isn't far behind really. And I'd rather see Broad going full blitzkrieg than Anderson. He's won us 3 Ashes series at critical points with mental spells.

sevendaughters

Johannesburg is at altitude isn't it, always on-off rain no matter what the season from my cricketing memory. Swings round corners.

Cuellar

Reports of Archer in TEARS being consoled by team mates.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Cuellar on January 24, 2020, 10:40:52 AM
Reports of Archer in TEARS being consoled by team mates.

god I hope he doesn't retire from tests before Anderson. bench him until the summer. we need this guy.

sevendaughters

yep, twigged his elbow again, doesn't look good. send him home now. no sense him flogging his guts out in Sri Lanka. rather he hurt himself now than in 3 hours time.

Inspector Norse

This morning they were saying Wood wasn't fit and Archer would play, now the opposite. Root has been dreadful at managing their workloads.

sevendaughters

pitch isn't even that green they're saying. PICK PARKINSON.