Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fake or Fortune?

Started by kalowski, August 22, 2019, 10:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Just watched an episode of Fake or Fortune where they spent the full hour trying and failing to absolutely confirm that a sculpture was genuine. Then, just before the credits run, a line pops up: "Further research found 'A Giacometti 1928' written on the reverse of the sculpture."

You'd have thought they'd have looked at this first. "Further research" = turing the sculpture around.

bgmnts

Yeah but then the programme would last about 45 seconds, including both credit sequences.

poo

kalowski

Urinal Cake

How were they supposed to blag a trip to Paris if they did that first?

Mr_Simnock

I watched that episode, it was a repeat from last year, guess they showed it again to give the update of it being finally attributed to Giacometti and sold on for half a million. Lord knows how they found the sig of Giacometti (not even hinted at in the show), it must have been very lightly scratched on the back of the sculpture and no doubt made difficult to see by the repainting of it after one of its repair jobs. I really like fake or fortune, always surprises me how many art works get turned down though, it must be knocking for at least half of all works they try to examine. Fiona Bruce though - phwooaar

JesusAndYourBush

Yes, it was a repeat, with the bit before the end credits newly added.  I'd have preferred a revised repeat with a bit about finding the signature in more detail, footage of the auction, etc, they could even have cut some of the chaff from earlier in the episode to bring it back down to an hour.

Not surprised they never saw the signature originally.  It'd been broken several times and gone through several bodge repairs, with large sections of plaster completely remade where parts of it had been smashed to dust, with the back if it being quite lumpy where the extra plaster had been smeared on.  The signature was probably covered up.

But yeah... Fiona Bruce...

BlodwynPig

Since when have you both become rampant Tory Councillors?

Fuck this testosterone... no..no don't