Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeremy Deller doc on rave culture

Started by poodlefaker, August 23, 2019, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

"Everybody in the place" - hidden away on the i-player.  Anyone else seen it? I thought it was brilliant, so much better than the usual BBC4 music doc with a load of celebs reminiscing about how great everything was.

Blinder Data

Yes! It's great. Loved the cross-cutting themes of politics, social history, culture. More Jeremy Deller documentaries please

Link (9 days left to watch it): https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000777d

monkfromhavana

I keep meaning to watch this, then forgetting....or I get the fear that it's just going to be the same old bullshit.

The only bit I've heard about is him weaving the miner's strike into rave culture in some way, which is perhaps a tad of an overreach.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 23, 2019, 03:19:49 PM
The only bit I've heard about is him weaving the miner's strike into rave culture in some way, which is perhaps a tad of an overreach.

It makes sense in context. I enjoyed it for what it was & they name checked a club where I was resident DJ at the end too.

the

Eeeh, fook me that were good. Loads of context and (as mentioned) no cunt saying how amazing everything was.

sevendaughters

best documentary of 2019 and should have been a 4 parter minimum. some overreach for sure but the miners are a Deller pet project. i think of Castlemorton as a huge psychic death in British culture, like a reverse Kinder trespass or something. liked that it was done as a lecture.

poodlefaker

Loved the Hitman and Her stuff. At the time I thought this was the very naffest cheap tv, but now it's obv. got social history potential - just going into a nightclub and filming people. Although I think JD was implying that in that one episode they'd gone to a rave by mistake, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case - Waterman knew what he was doing.

poodlefaker

Also Deller went to school at Dulwich College - 2 yrs below Nigel Farage. Maek you think

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 23, 2019, 05:38:34 PM
Loved the Hitman and Her stuff. At the time I thought this was the very naffest cheap tv, but now it's obv. got social history potential - just going into a nightclub and filming people. Although I think JD was implying that in that one episode they'd gone to a rave by mistake, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case - Waterman knew what he was doing.

I was there in '88 and it felt like everything changed overnight.

Cursus

Thanks for recommending this. Enjoyed it.

poodlefaker

Also that clip of the the current affairs show (Killroy type thing, hosted by a woman) with the studio audience - it's Royston Vaysey, isn't it?

Pauline Walnuts

The Pete Waterman bashing felt like he was kicking the corpses around from 25 years old wars.

He's also wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/11/stakker-humanoid-25th-anniversary-acid-house

I skipped foward and got to the Marxism bit. He's not an academic by any chance is he?

sevendaughters

I didn't feel like he was having a pop at Waterman, just saying the man's moment had gone. A bit of selective choosing but made a good point. Deller's a professional artist rather than academic but you can tell he does lectures. Had the pacing down. He didn't quite explain to the girl what the connection between the miners and rave is, but I think he is sort of right.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 25, 2019, 10:58:46 AM
He's not an academic by any chance is he?

No. I looked him up and he's not.

I thought something, checked, found I was wrong and I've corrected myself. That was hard wasn't it, Jeremy?

And how could he miss the chance to Rickroll those kidz! Open goal and all that!

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 25, 2019, 11:01:41 AM
I didn't feel like he was having a pop at Waterman.

"The presenters don't know what's happened" "So here's what's happened to Peter Waterman's world has collapsed; he's lost control of the nightclub

Still image show:

"Here's what's happened to Peter Waterman There's been a coup, here the king of the Producers has been disposed. He's a 41, 42 year old man making music to 13, 14 year olds he's got no connection to the culture what you're seeing there is a real generation gap."

Jeremy Deller is 52.

Pauline Walnuts

I hate Pete Waterman. I hated the Hit Man and Her, I hated the Music and effect of SAW Except Kylie she was great,   I can't believe I've been driven to this.

sevendaughters

I don't think saying someone's moment has gone is a diss.

purlieu

It did feel a bit disingenuous to show pre-house Hitman and Her and then that one at a 1992 rave - the Stakker Humanoid story immediately came to mind, but the show definitely embraced acid house and did shows from places like the Hacienda. Even though Waterman wasn't really with it, he definitely understood the popularity and importance of the music. Other than that, I thought it was a fantastic programme. Did a superb job of tying together the music, culture and politics in a fairly balanced way.

I went to a fair few raves back when I was a lot younger, but there was no excitement (didn't help that it was almost all fucking Pendulum style dnb playing) like you see in any of this stuff. I truly wish I'd been able to live through it as it happened (and then evolved into the ambient / chill out thing in the early '90s.) 

the

Surely the point of the Hitman And Her bit was just to say 'look at what's developed between these two points in time'. The way he paints a picture of what's supposedly happened to Pete Waterman is a bit hyperbolic, but he did preface the whole thing as being a fable.

Capt.Midnight

I only watched the first half, but the frequent cuts to disinterested Muslim children were a definite highlight.

monkfromhavana

From various interviews, bits on the web, various rave peeps (Luna-C, DJ Phantasy) describe meeting Pete Waterman thinking that he was going to be an arsehole, but him turning out to be OK and knowing more than you would think about underground tracks. PWL put out quite a few house/rave crossover tracks (leaning heavily towards the cheese) so I think he was astute enough to recognize himself that his SAW style had ran its course.

phes

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on August 25, 2019, 10:48:29 PM
I only watched the first half, but the frequent cuts to disinterested Muslim children were a definite highlight.

I dunno, the lass with the bins looked like she was having an epiphany and definitely going straight home to rave in front of the mirror

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 25, 2019, 10:53:45 PM
From various interviews, bits on the web, various rave peeps (Luna-C, DJ Phantasy) describe meeting Pete Waterman thinking that he was going to be an arsehole, but him turning out to be OK and knowing more than you would think about underground tracks. PWL put out quite a few house/rave crossover tracks (leaning heavily towards the cheese) so I think he was astute enough to recognize himself that his SAW style had ran its course.

Where else would you find a '92 Mickey Finn remix of Mandy Smith (Bill Wyman's teen bride)

https://youtu.be/jv-vGklmhF4

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 26, 2019, 10:57:01 AM
Where else would you find a '92 Mickey Finn remix of Mandy Smith (Bill Wyman's teen bride)

https://youtu.be/jv-vGklmhF4

That is shocklingly shite. I guess it's one of the first times that Mickey was allowed to touch the equipment.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 26, 2019, 11:44:27 AM
That is shocklingly shite. I guess it's one of the first times that Mickey was allowed to touch the equipment.

I'm thinking it was after Urban Shakedown - Some Justice was signed to PWL and Aphrodite wasn't involved, I remember being unable to sell it on promo at the time, as you say it's bottom tier stuff

Here's one of my favourites from the era, although like most PWL dance tracks they signed it from a hit import

Toxic Two - Rave Generator

https://youtu.be/ubHc1nDsJF8

monkfromhavana

Having just finished watching it, I take it back, I thought it was fantastic. It captured a lot about that moment in time that other documentaries with the usual DJs lack, but then I guess that's a given regarding any music documentaries, the artists have only their stories and their egos, whereas someone from the outside can have a much clearer picture.

Having been too young to go out to anything until 1994, I always feel such a pang of regret that I wasn't old enough to experience any of it. When I see videos of people out and the parties I experience such a feeling of loss. Then again, I think not being just unable to experience something first-hand leads to a deeper love (maybe) than most of the people who were there. They have memories (or maybe they don't) and I have impossible dreams, like a forever unrequited love.

Feeling Good is a good tune, but it was only licensed by PWL. It had previously been released under the alias 'Motown Mayhem' on Labello Blanco.

Glad you enjoyed it Monk, if you were out in 94/95/96 then you had some of the special years.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 26, 2019, 03:53:07 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Monk, if you were out in 94/95/96 then you had some of the special years.

Yeah, when I was going out the music still had some new directions to explore, although I wish I had gone out more, and perhaps to some more varied nights rather than just raves/DnB /hardcore and old skool nights. It's a shame my old mates drifted off into Oasis etc, and my new mates who I started hanging around with from about 1995 we're only really into guitar-based music, hip-hop and Aphex Twin and hated anything you could go out and dance to.