Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,473
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:35:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most hated sports player

Started by The Boston Crab, August 23, 2019, 05:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 25, 2019, 10:13:55 AM
AIDS Murphy, aye.

For non-snooker fans, why is he hated so much? I know nothing of snooker, but even I know he's considered a twat. (I could google I suppose, but it seems more fun to find out from someone who really hates him)

bgmnts

Is it partially because he's fat? We still don't really love fat people in society do we?

How can he be more hated than John 'Brown Envelope' Higgings??

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on August 26, 2019, 12:21:07 AM
How can he be more hated than John 'Brown Envelope' Higgings??

Oh, come on. We've all shat in an envelope at some point.

Blue Jam

bgmnts

Nothing wrong with starting a discourse.

EOLAN

Dave Whelan. Should have elicited some sympathy for reminiscing about his career ending injury in a Cup final, but instead used his new privileged position to wrongly blacken the name of his opposition adversary who was more sinned at than sinning in that final.

DrGreggles

bigfatheart

Roy Keane said in one of his autobiographies that he regretted acting the hard man and playing through injuries when it would have benefited both himself and the team in the long term if he'd taken that bit more time to fully recover. Then he went into coaching and publicly accused players of being soft and not being committed for wanting to take the time to fully recover from injuries instead of playing through them. Hypocritical jeb-end more interested in maintaining his image as a hard man than in talking any actual sense.

Also, Patrick Bamford.

Ferris

Quote from: bigfatheart on August 26, 2019, 01:14:42 AM
Roy Keane said in one of his autobiographies that he regretted acting the hard man and playing through injuries when it would have benefited both himself and the team in the long term if he'd taken that bit more time to fully recover. Then he went into coaching and publicly accused players of being soft and not being committed for wanting to take the time to fully recover from injuries instead of playing through them. Hypocritical jeb-end more interested in maintaining his image as a hard man than in talking any actual sense.

Also, Patrick Bamford.

Yes to both of these.

chveik

pigamus

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on August 25, 2019, 11:27:28 PM
For non-snooker fans, why is he hated so much? I know nothing of snooker, but even I know he's considered a twat. (I could google I suppose, but it seems more fun to find out from someone who really hates him)

He's one of those 'speak as you find, call a spade a spade' types who's basically just a self-important prick. Also a God-botherer.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 25, 2019, 10:37:03 PM
He was mimicking Gazza, wasn't he?

I thought he was doing a peacock, an SS peacock with a mullet. It felt like he was claiming Wembley for the third Reich.

Neville Chamberlain

Never met anyone who's had a good word to say about Dave Beasant.

Spode

Lleyton Hewitt and his backwards cap.

Poobum

Eugenie Bouchard, throws so much shade for being absolutely crap.

MattD

Quote from: pigamus on August 26, 2019, 01:28:31 AM

He's one of those 'speak as you find, call a spade a spade' types who's basically just a self-important prick. Also a God-botherer.

Despite his holier than thou attitude, he also cheated on his wife. She was seething from his awful behaviour that I believe there were plans for her to hand him divorce papers while he was playing at the Crucible.

biggytitbo

Shaun Murphy by personality and Martin Gould by body count.

Jockice

David Seaman. Dumped his wife for a more glamorous model, then forgot his son's birthday. And worst of all, grew a ponytail.

selectivememory

Quote from: Poobum on August 26, 2019, 11:42:52 AM
Eugenie Bouchard, throws so much shade for being absolutely crap.

I forgave her for everything when she said Sharapova was a cheater who shouldn't be allowed to play tennis again, and then beat her a couple of weeks later. I didn't even agree that Sharapova was technically a cheater (rather than just a bit dumb, dishonest and negligent), but it was a hilariously cunty thing to say.

John Isner is my pick for this, naturally. A man whose playing style is so shit they've actually changed the rules for everyone at Wimbledon because of him. Also has terrible politics and pals around with the likes of Sean Hannity. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: MattD on August 26, 2019, 11:49:11 AM
Despite his holier than thou attitude, he also cheated on his wife. She was seething from his awful behaviour that I believe there were plans for her to hand him divorce papers while he was playing at the Crucible.

Also this:

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2008/09/maguire-and-murphy-like-chalk-and.html?m=1

Twat.

Ferris

Quote from: Jockice on August 26, 2019, 11:53:52 AM
David Seaman. Dumped his wife for a more glamorous model, then forgot his son's birthday. And worst of all, grew a ponytail.

LEGEND DAVE

holyzombiejesus

Mark 'Steino' Stein. Not only is he a tosser, he also, apparently, wears a tosser's hat.

Paul Peschisolido. Ill mannered, death-penalty supporting braggart. Once stuck the Vs up at the Vale Park faithful just because we had the temerity to chant 'what's it like to shag a slag?' at him.

Was going to nominate Jonathan Walters due to him being all chuffed when the tories won the 2015 election (and tweeting his congratulations to Cameron (David, not Geoff)) but apparently he now says that these were 'poorly educated tweets' and has subsequently given his support to Labour.

Dex Sawash

bigfatheart

Leon Best. I can forgive shit players - I've been supporting Derby for 22 years, I've seen enough of them - but to be so unremittingly shit while strutting around like you're too good for the place? Scored more goals for us when playing for Southampton than he actually did while playing for us.

Danny Mills. Shit player, shit pundit. Every bit as ill-informed as Paul Merson or any other pundit who's solely there to be laughed at, but he's well-spoken enough to have an air of respectability.

Ian Holloway. Cheating little twat. I remember him saying it wasn't his fault when Millwall got relegated because he'd been sacked by the time they mathematically went down. He was sacked halfway through March and they were 23rd, I think it's fair to say some of it might be your fault, Ian.

Phil Brown, Paul Jewell, Paul Clement, Nigel Pearson. All shit.

Sean Dyche. Played the 'it all evens itself out over the season' card when Kieran Trippier got a player of ours sent off by diving*. Now he's in the Premier League he's the number one campaigner against diving. Funny how quickly some people change their tune once they're in the media spotlight.

*OK, two yellow cards, one of which came after Trippier dived. And that player of ours was Chris Martin, who dives all the time. My point still stands.

James Maddison. Gave it the big one after he dived to win a dodgy penalty against us when he was at Norwich, used his post-match interview to go on about how it was all jealousy and it's just gamesmanship, etc etc. Got caught diving after moving to the Premier League and suddenly starts tweeting about how he'd never do it again, how he's not that sort of player. Funny how quickly some people etc etc.

Lord Mandrake

Luis Moreno. Kicked the ever loving fuck out of an injured barn owl.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jockice on August 26, 2019, 11:53:52 AM

Similarly: Stephen Hendry. Left his wife for a woman half his age, then used some creative accounting to try and hide his millions from his ex-wife and their kids. Also allegedly did fuck-all to support the snooker career of his nephew, James Cahill, despite Cahill being best mates with one of Hendry's kids and presumably round his house quite a bit.

Despite all that, I still find Shaun "AIDS" Murphy infinity more loathsome.

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 26, 2019, 02:32:10 PM
Similarly: Stephen Hendry. Left his wife for a woman half his age, then used some creative accounting to try and hide his millions from his ex-wife and their kids. Also allegedly did fuck-all to support the snooker career of his nephew, James Cahill, despite Cahill being best mates with one of Hendry's kids and presumably round his house quite a bit.

Despite all that, I still find Shaun "AIDS" Murphy infinity more loathsome.

And his first wife was called Mandy Tart. Which is a superb name

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: MattD on August 26, 2019, 11:49:11 AM
Didn't this actually happen at some tournament or other? Or are we both referring to the same incident?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 26, 2019, 03:42:53 PM
Didn't this actually happen at some tournament or other? Or are we both referring to the same incident?

I think it almost happened, but Murphy's wife was refused entry, and her parents got in but were asked to leave. Lovely bloke...