Author Topic: Simon Amstell - Set Free (Netflix special)  (Read 1566 times)

Simon Amstell - Set Free (Netflix special)
« on: August 24, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »
This popped into my recommended list the other day and I was surprised there was no discussion of it here, so here is a discussion of it here.

We thought it was really good overall. Still very nihilistic and self-deprecating but it really felt like it was coming from a healthier place than some of his previous sets. It was clear he's been through a lot in terms of personal progression over the last few years and it's good to see it's been effective.

Plus some good jokes about pooping.

bomb_dog

• Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
Re: Simon Amstell - Set Free (Netflix special)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 05:20:13 AM »
That toad does need taking down a peg or too, you’re right.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 05:49:39 AM »
Not sure why but I really like Amstell. Thoughtful, intelligent, witty, sensitive, he seems to represent a loser overcoming his shortcomings. I'll have a look at this latest piece immediately.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 10:27:38 PM »
I got a bit bored with it, oddly. Like the material was all fine, but when it got to the sex party stuff, it just felt all so frustratingly similar in cadence to a lot of his other material that it didn't really give me the urge to carry on to see if there was anything fresher?

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 11:20:59 PM »
I’m glad Amstell has found peace, but he believes in some real nonsense (to me) and I’m bored of hearing about it. I miss the miserable bitchy Amstell, but if this makes him happy, so be it.

rue the polywhirl

• eight lives left
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 01:16:17 AM »
Left very underwhelmed by this. Humour content was very mildish and much watered down by the cod self-therapy session. The special should have been called ‘My boyfriend...’ because that’s how most every sentence began. There did seem to be an agenda to remind the audience every 2 minutes that he does indeed go out with men. And the glossiness of his short plasticky jet-black hair was a constant distraction as well - I kept thinking his head got caught in some kind of laminator. I gave up half way through and relied on Dave Chappelle Sticks and Stones to demonstrate how comedy was done. I’m a big fan of Grandmas House and Carnage was only a couple of years ago so this is a surprise wafting from grace.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »
It was a bit of a less focused, partial rerun of his previous couple of shows. Both of which were far better.

Blue Jam

• Ringo Starr Anise
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 12:23:51 PM »
I’m glad Amstell has found peace, but he believes in some real nonsense (to me) and I’m bored of hearing about it.

Does he talk about taking drugs in a yurt in a forest in South America? I mostly enjoyed his autobiography but those bits were interminable. People describing their drug-taking experiences is almost as boring as people talking about their dreams.

I saw his work-in-progress in Edinburgh a couple of years back and it was good, so I'll give this a go but if there's any mention of drug yurts I may have to bail out...

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
It’s all he talks about now really, so yeah there’s a lot of it in the special. I feel like 2007 Amstell would think he’s ridiculous.

Blue Jam

• Ringo Starr Anise
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
Ah balls... In Grandma's House all that stuff about finding himself- "thinking makes it so", talking about joining a Buddhist monastery etc- seemed like Amstell sending himself up as a pisstake of an angsty privileged celebrity being a pretentious arse, but since then it seems he's been slowly morphing into someone who believes in all that hippy crap for real.

I has been hoping Carnage would be somewhat self-deprecating, taking the piss out of omnivores and vegans alike, but I lasted about 20 minutes before the preachy tone made me switch it off.

I should probably give this a chance before being so harsh but I'm not getting my hopes up here...

(in any case, I'm glad he's happier now)

Twed

• I need you so, Medieval Zone, you don't need me
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
The only issue I have with the Noel Edmonds cosmic ordering stuff is that it takes me out of relating to Amstell, who is somebody I otherwise find extremely relatable.

I shouldn't expect him to conform to my exact designs though (even if I do ask the universe for it or see a white feather or whatever).

Do Nothing was really good. Grandma's House was wonderful. I don't think I need to see any more of Amstell's work.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
"And the glossiness of his short plasticky jet-black hair was a constant distraction as well - I kept thinking his head got caught in some kind of laminator"

Immense sentence