Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charlie Megira/ You're Not From Around Here OST/ reverby twangy Elvisy surf noir

Started by holyzombiejesus, August 24, 2019, 11:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I got one of the latest releases from the ever-reliable Numero Group a couple of weeks back.

According to the press release, it's

QuoteThe previously unissued soundtrack to the 1964 western noir, discovered after 55 years in the Wayne Louis Moody archive. Sixteen languid guitar instrumentals, femme fatale dirges, and cinematic country crooners score the loneliest night of one man's life. Ten incredible albums culled from the deepest, weirdest co-op of record enthusiasts ever gathered under one banner. No expense was spared packaging these, pairing the idea of the Art of Compilation with living and breathing art, creating little fortune cookies baked in a factory of forgotten dreams. Video games, pyramids, trading cards, matchbooks, mazes, lottery tickets, film canisters, yearbooks, and various other exercises in design absurdity

whatever the fuck that means.

Anyway, it's great. I love all that old lonely echo-y stuff and I was really enjoying it And then THIS came on and I thought it was one of the most brilliant songs I'd ever heard. I've probably played it ten times today and I was out at the park for half of that. I've tried to find out about Charlie Megira and it seems that the record was made in the early '00s and he passed away at the age of 44, 5 years ago.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Charlie. I'm sure I've seen one of the sleeves to his records before, probably on here. Also, seeing as his tune is from the last decade or so, how come it's on the soundtrack to a film from 1964? Does anyone know anything about the film or the soundtrack? Western noir sounds like a brilliant genre.

Finally, any other 'reverby twangy Elvisy surf noir' type stuff that people recommend? Stuff like this piece of utter fucking brilliance?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Messer Chups are from top Russian city St. Petersburg, are comprised of a top twangy guitarist, a seemingly ageless jolly attractive, toothy lady on bass, and a Spinal Tap- esque ever changing roster of drummers. I've seen them about a Million times live in Moscow, they play there every other week.
Anyway, they're quite adept at the sort of music done described by the OP, you should check them out if you like that sort of thing.
Really should link to some vids now, can't be arsed, soz.

holyzombiejesus

Just seen that Numero are releasing a Charlie Megira compilation later this month. So pleased about this. They've also done a spotify page thingy which everyone should listen to.

QuoteThe bastard love child of Elvis and Lux Interior, Israeli guitarist Charlie Megira brewed a heady amalgam of '50s trash rock, surf-y tremolo, and reverb-drenched goth during his all-too-brief 44 trips around the sun. He recorded seven albums worth of material in 15 years, primarily issued on CD-R, most of which is now unreadable or in a landfill. Tomorrow's Gone is the first collection of Megira's work; a 24-track double album accompanied by a lavish booklet that documents his tragic existence. Armed with only an Eko guitar, a black tuxedo, and his signature wrap-around shades, Charlie Megira was a mold-breaking artist who disintegrated while we were all staring at our phones.