Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Started by Ja'moke, August 25, 2019, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

There's a Breaking Bad sequel film coming to Netflix on 11th October, following Jesse Pinkman after the events of the BB finale. It's written and directed by Vince Gilligan.

Teaser trailer: https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1165393399882473474

I'm surprised how much they've kept this secret, especially as far as plot, etc.

It also has a cool poster...

lankyguy95

In normal circumstances I'd hate this idea but Gilligan's done enough to earn my trust.

Blue Jam

Yo, carpentry, bitch.

(seriously- SQUEEEEE!)

buttgammon

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 25, 2019, 02:16:51 AM
In normal circumstances I'd hate this idea but Gilligan's done enough to earn my trust.

My sentiments exactly. Bring it on!

Pseudopath

Should've called it Fetter Paul's Fall. He's been in some absolute dogshit since Breaking Bad.

Blue Jam

Can't believe I hadn't seen this before. The final line made me laugh way too hard:

https://youtu.be/ovqM72em1dA

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 25, 2019, 02:16:51 AM

I trusted Mitch Hurwitz and he broke my heart. I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 25, 2019, 10:19:59 AM
Should've called it Fetter Paul's Fall. He's been in some absolute dogshit since Breaking Bad.

Aaron Paul does come across as a genuinely lovely bloke, I try and forget that he's a massive fan of Derek.

Imagine if he remade that: "Yo, my name's... Dirk, I lives here. This is my robot grief bitch..."

Twed

One of the best things about the BB finale was Jesse driving off into the distance elated with unknown possibilities ahead of them. Don't make them known :-(

bgmnts

The last 2 seasons of Breaking Bad were shite.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 25, 2019, 10:26:25 AM
Can't believe I hadn't seen this before. The final line made me laugh way too hard:

https://youtu.be/ovqM72em1dA

That's fantastic.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 25, 2019, 10:19:59 AM

He's also in the main cast of Bojack Horseman and has got a major role in the next series of Westworld (which I lost interest in, but it's successful and lots of people rate it), so it's not like his career's tanked or anything.

Blue Jam

BoJack Horseman is great and Todd is fecking adorable. Admittedly I haven't seen anything else he's been in...

Hasn't there also been talk of him popping up in Better Call Saul eventually? I guess it's not unlikely that Jesse and Walt will pop up at some point...

Blue Jam

No Walt Jr./Flynn though:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a27442422/breaking-bad-rj-mitte-rules-themselves-out-movie/

Shame, I'd really love to see loads more scenes of him eating breakfast cereal.

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on August 25, 2019, 05:06:38 PM
One of the best things about the BB finale was Jesse driving off into the distance elated with unknown possibilities ahead of them. Don't make them known :-(

Lots of people said we didn't need a Saul Goodman backstory and they were proved wrong. I go with the "should by all right be shit but Gilligan has earned my trust"

I'm glad Breaking Bad ended where it did but considering how much they had to cram into the last half of season 5, I'm perfectly fine with having a feature length coda for Jesse.

chveik

Quote from: phantom_power on August 26, 2019, 03:22:50 PM
Lots of people said we didn't need a Saul Goodman backstory and they were proved wrong.

that's arguable

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: chveik on August 26, 2019, 10:48:36 PM
that's arguable

Most things are arguable. I'd argue that Better Call Saul is the greatest television drama of the last few years.

Noodle Lizard

Has anything that "went to Netflix" been good?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 25, 2019, 07:38:24 PM
No Walt Jr./Flynn though:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a27442422/breaking-bad-rj-mitte-rules-themselves-out-movie/

Shame, I'd really love to see loads more scenes of him eating breakfast cereal.

QuoteNoting how he's "not a part of" the project, the actor did also add that he envisions Walt Jr as a member of the DEA in Vince Gilligan's meth-infused universe.

He elaborated: "Walt escapes capture, Jesse came back to Walt after the whole shootout, Walt and Jesse disappear for five years, and Walt Jr is still living with his sister, almost in like DEA housing.

"Then Walt Jr pretty much joins the DEA and is hunting after his father," Mitte continued of his character. "He kind of takes Hank's role where Hank left off. My idea is that he's trying to go out, find what happened to Hank and go after Jesse and Walt."

Did he ... watch the show?

Noodle Lizard

I'm not saying "has anything Netflix has done (i.e. thrown money at) been good?", but I'm struggling to think of anything popular that was rebooted on Netflix with anything but poor results.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 27, 2019, 06:54:09 AM
Has anything that "went to Netflix" been good?

Assuming you specifically mean broadcast shows that were revived or continued by Netflix, I guess Black Mirror stands out as the most successful example. I also have a fair amount of fondness for the fourth season of Arrested Development, for all its flaws. The Netflix revivals of Mystery Science Theatre and Wet Hot American Summer also seem to have been well received by fans, as has their continuation of (checks notes) Longmire.

I don't think this project really falls into that same "Netflix reboot" category, though. It's a one-off film based on an ongoing franchise rather than a revival per se. And Netflix seems like a pretty natural home for it seeing as they played such a role in making Breaking Bad a hit in the first place as well as being the international distributors of Better Call Saul.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 27, 2019, 02:04:16 AM
Most things are arguable. I'd argue that Better Call Saul is the greatest television drama of the last few years.

There is zero peril and it moves like a tortoise with four broken legs. Other than that, great show.

mothman

Does a show need peril? Sure we know what's eventually going to happen to Jimmy/Saul and Mike, but it's seeing their parallel descents that's the show's centre. And we've learned to care about Kim and Nacho, and their fates remain unknown and uncertain. Even the brief disquieting monochrome snippets of Saul/Gene's life in Omaha suggest he isn't without peril, whether in his mind or for real.

chveik

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Twed on August 25, 2019, 05:06:38 PM

I didn't get that impression at all. I just presumed (and I'm sure Gilligan has stated as much) that Jesse got caught by the police when leaving the gang's HQ.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 27, 2019, 11:39:38 AM
I didn't get that impression at all. I just presumed (and I'm sure Gilligan has stated as much) that Jesse got caught by the police when leaving the gang's HQ.

Here's how Jesse's ending is described by Gilligan in his script for the finale:

QuoteCLOSE ANGLE -- JESSE Grimly determined, fearing nothing, he speeds through the darkness. From here on, it's up to us to say where he's headed. I like to call it "something better," and leave it at that.

Source: https://www.vulture.com/2013/10/breaking-bad-script-pages.html