Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:47:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Started by Ja'moke, August 25, 2019, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Subsequent to that, I'm sure I read an interview where he says something like 'obviously Jesse gets caught and put away'.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 27, 2019, 12:15:08 PM
Subsequent to that, I'm sure I read an interview where he says something like 'obviously Jesse gets caught and put away'.

This one?

https://www.gq.com/story/vince-gilligan-men-of-the-year-kingpin

What do you think happened to him?

My personal feeling is that he got away. But the most likely thing, as negative as this sounds, is that they're going to find this kid's fingerprints all over this lab and they're going to find him within a day or a week or a month. And he's still going to be on the hook for the murder of two federal agents. But yeah, even though that's the most likely outcome, the way I see it is that he got away and got to Alaska, changed his name, and had a new life. You want that for the kid. He deserves it.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, that's the one. It's a lot more positive than I remember.

Twed

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 27, 2019, 11:39:38 AM
I didn't get that impression at all. I just presumed (and I'm sure Gilligan has stated as much) that Jesse got caught by the police when leaving the gang's HQ.
I didn't mean it in an optimistic sense. As Old Nehamkin pointed out, it's just not knowing at all that was good.

Blue Jam

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: SteveDave on August 27, 2019, 11:01:36 AM
There is zero peril and it moves like a tortoise with four broken legs. Other than that, great show.

I think there's plenty of peril in Better Call Saul. We know that Kim, for example, isn't part of Jimmy/Saul's life soon and we assume the reason for that isn't a positive thing. So almost every interaction between them or every action either of them take could lead to something horrible happening to Kim. There's a constant sense of clear and present danger. In some ways that's more perilous than lots of Breaking Bad, as we didn't have any reason to suspect the fate of any characters and could make a reasonable assumption that most of the main players were going to be around until the end of the show.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 11, 2019, 01:11:51 PM
I think there's plenty of peril in Better Call Saul.

Me too- how about that flash forward at the start of series 4? We still don't know the fate of Cinnabon Gene or if he gets out of the BB universe alive. There's also been some nice misdirection and things getting hairy in numerous subplots, which I'd better not mention here because spoilers. Just because the show's not building towards a massive shootout doesn't mean there's no peril.

Otherwise I'd say it's driven more a compelling sense of dread, mainly from knowing Jimmy and Kim won't live happily ever after, and that's what made me whip through BCS much faster than I got through BB. I only got round to watching both shows earlier this year, partly because of Serge's recommendations and excellent posts on here, and all I can say is that I whipped right through BCS in a matter of weeks and ended up firmly in the "BCS is better than BB" camp.

All that said, I hope Gene and Kim aren't in El Camino- it would probably make things too complicated for the remainder of BCS, and I wouldn't want to go "Oh look, it's x, they're still alive after all" and have the remainder of BCS ruined. Personally I think it'd be nice to keep any bits of fanservice to a minimum.

Blue Jam

Also, every new bit of the BB universe makes me sad that Serge won't be watching it with us. I miss his analysis... I'll be getting some wine in for El Camino and raising a glass to him.

Puce Moment

Yeah - I immediately wondered what he would make of this. I suspect he would have been moderately negative, but open to having his opinion changed. That's pretty much how I feel too, so I may be projecting given that we often disagreed on films, TV and music. Doctor Who was banned as a subject in our conversations as it was the only thing that I think made our discussions a little frosty.

mothman

If anything, I think El Camino will set up Jesse appearing in BCS in some way (assuming he survives - by no means a sure thing, but it'd be really depressing if not; as perhaps the ultimate victim of Walt's careering train-wreck criminal career, it'd be nice to see somebody survive...). So any appearance by "Gene" would just be fleeting, or even implied to be imminent. 

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 25, 2019, 07:28:24 PM
BoJack Horseman is great and Todd is fecking adorable. Admittedly I haven't seen anything else he's been in...

You mean Jesse Plemons?  Yeah, he's great. He was in the second season of Fargo and was one of two fantastic anchor-like leading men in that series. Really the second season had a fantastic cast but Plemons and Patrick Wilson were the stand-outs. Not to say that Kirsten Dunst wasn't a sleeper-highlight of the series either. Bizarrely enough despite finding her a very dull actor otherwise she was perfectly cast in Fargo for me, just like Martin Freeman in the prior series.

That all aside, I think this has a 60/40 split chance of being wank or good. It's post-BrBa and that was so long ago so it has a fair enough chance of being turgid, but at the same time Better Call Saul has been consistently good with pretty much no clunky episodes.

Mister Six

Blue Jam means Aaron Paul. He is Todd in BoJack Horseman.

Both he and Plemons were also together in the Black Mirror episode with the Star Trek pastiche if that helps.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Mister Six on September 12, 2019, 12:39:27 AM
Blue Jam means Aaron Paul. He is Todd in BoJack Horseman.

Both he and Plemons were also together in the Black Mirror episode with the Star Trek pastiche if that helps.

Doy. I didn't know his character in BoJack was called Todd. I thought he meant Todd, Plemons' character in Breaking Bad. American names! What's wrong with simple, easy to remember and distinct names like Fotheringay-Smythe on Sondbury and LeChamp DuClaire Plessis-Chocolat?

Blue Jam

I am a she ;) but yes, I meant Aaron Paul as Todd in BoJack Horseman, though I'm not knocking Jesse Plemons. Too many Todds and Jesses here...

I have not been able to take the name "Todd" seriously since Athletico Mince...

JamesTC

Mentioned this to a friend earlier: "I've only seen the trailer with Stinky Pete".

Old Nehamkin

New teaser aired during the Emmy awards last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7Aii1Fyq4

They're certainly not giving much away! I'm impressed with how restrained the promotion has been for this. It comes out in two and a half weeks and they haven't even released a cast list or anything more than the vaguest possible synopsis. Refreshing.

lankyguy95

Starting to get very excited for this.

Yeah, I'm fully on-board. On one hand I can see how this would've been too much to include in the show proper, and on the other hand...this'll probably nail-bitingly tense as fuck.

JamesTC

The whole gang will be in it, surely. The living ones through seeing what they are up to following the aftermath of the finale any others through flashbacks (whether new or old scenes for this).

Walt will be a "surprise" cameo in a flashback. My guess would be a flashback to when Walt was teaching Jesse in High School.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: JamesTC on September 23, 2019, 02:44:18 PM
The whole gang will be in it, surely.

Anna Gunn beware, new death threats incoming :/

wooders1978

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on September 23, 2019, 11:12:22 AM
New teaser aired during the Emmy awards last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7Aii1Fyq4

They're certainly not giving much away! I'm impressed with how restrained the promotion has been for this. It comes out in two and a half weeks and they haven't even released a cast list or anything more than the vaguest possible synopsis. Refreshing.

One big clue is there were "9 bodies" found st the scene - I'm off for a rewatch of the finale to do a wee headcount

Blue Jam

Bill Burr was apparently supposed to be in BCS season 5 but couldn't make it for personal reasons. If they were filming around the same time, I guess that means there'll be no Kuby in El Camino either:

https://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/d3jhb8/bill_burr_says_he_was_supposed_to_appear_on_bcs/

Also no Huell and no Saul/Gene I imagine...

wooders1978

Oh fuck just remembered  WW buggered off to cark it in the snow - just spent 10 minutes counting goons and getting all excited :(

Cuellar

I hope Huell does just stay in that room, for eternity.

JamesTC

People have done a headcount for the finale. 8 baddies and Walt. So he is amongst the 9.

Quote from: Cuellar on September 23, 2019, 09:47:44 PM
I hope Huell does just stay in that room, for eternity.

Huell's rules!

wooders1978

Completely misremembered the end there - however the police find his body (alive or dead) at the end so he's not snuck out in any case

mothman

They're not gonna turn around and say "Oh, Walt survived, the paramedics got to him in time." Even if feasible, it'd piss too many people off.

Though the teaser kinda implies the police are going to go with Jesse being blamed for everything as last man standing. Stinky Pete protesting that Jesse was obviously a prisoner and the police had seen the conditions he was held in ties up with that.

Rev+

Quote from: JamesTC on September 23, 2019, 02:44:18 PM
The whole gang will be in it, surely. The living ones through seeing what they are up to following the aftermath of the finale any others through

According to the actor Mike crops up so it does sound like we might have flashbacks to stuff we didn't see before.  Impossible to resist if you're making something like this I'd imagine.

NJ Uncut

Wow! I'm in it for who we see again in that trailer alone!

"Black Water" by Reuben and the Dark, music fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EgJ84V9olg