Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:44:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crawl (2019)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 25, 2019, 09:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Saw this today thanks to the National Lottery free cinema ticket thing (and they didn't ask to see my lottery ticket, so I really could have got in for free) and it was pretty okay. I mean it's exactly the movie you'd imagine it to be when you see the tag line which is pretty much "Jaws, but with Alligators", but the lead actress (someone from Skins apparently) is decent, while lead bloke isn't too bad either. The dialogue's fairly bland but they make good use of the gators, and while it's probably not worth paying to see at the cinema it was a nice enough way to spend a way too hot afternoon in a nicely air conditioned cinema. 6.8/10

BritishHobo

Good tense laugh, that. I went in thinking it'd be daft, cos I'm not that bothered by alligators and quite like them as animals, but it got me straight away with the first big scare, and hooked me. All the worrying about her childhood swimming training and yer dad's pushiness felt a bit surplus, but I guess I'd rather a film attempts that than not bother at all.

I think I liked the flood/hurricane stuff more than anything. That last half an hour was cracking. I love shit like when that massive wave comes at 'em.

Small Man Big Horse

I was expecting it to be a bit ridiculous as well so like you was pleased that they pulled off the alligators effectively, especially given that I presume it was cgi the whole time. I liked the fact that the moment they were saved it was the end of the film too, no messing about with six months later and seeing the dad watching her swim again and shit like that, plus the choice of song over the end credits amused. And yeah, the hurricane stuff was fun as well, and I liked that after the initial 20 minutes it didn't really let up for the whole film.

DukeDeMondo

I thought this was a bit disappointing, overall. I enjoyed it, like, but I was expecting to be squirming my tits out all roads and directions and to be honest I was squirming very little no matter how much water Barry Pepper was under. I don't know how much that had to do with the bulletproof anti-anxiety medication I'm rolling at the minute, and how much of it had to do with the fact that CGI gators aren't scary, but whatever the cause I tightened times none. Kaya Scodelario did her best to draw me in, but I felt like I was at arm's length for the duration, away far from what was thrashing about onscreen.

Oh, and I too thought the hurricane stuff was far better than the stuff with the snaps.

When he's on form, Alexandre Aja is untouchable, but this falls quite a way short of his best for me.

A better film that runs with a similar premise, except with a big fucking tiger instead of the gators, is Carlos Brooks's Burning Bright. That's a film that did have me gnawing at my knuckles the whole way through. This Crawl, here, not so much. 

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 25, 2019, 09:46:19 PM
but the lead actress (someone from Skins apparently)

Effie from Skins, one of the 10 best skins.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on August 28, 2019, 03:50:24 PM
I thought this was a bit disappointing, overall. I enjoyed it, like, but I was expecting to be squirming my tits out all roads and directions and to be honest I was squirming very little no matter how much water Barry Pepper was under. I don't know how much that had to do with the bulletproof anti-anxiety medication I'm rolling at the minute, and how much of it had to do with the fact that CGI gators aren't scary, but whatever the cause I tightened times none. Kaya Scodelario did her best to draw me in, but I felt like I was at arm's length for the duration, away far from what was thrashing about onscreen.

Oh, and I too thought the hurricane stuff was far better than the stuff with the snaps.

When he's on form, Alexandre Aja is untouchable, but this falls quite a way short of his best for me.

A better film that runs with a similar premise, except with a big fucking tiger instead of the gators, is Carlos Brooks's Burning Bright. That's a film that did have me gnawing at my knuckles the whole way through. This Crawl, here, not so much.

I can understand why you felt disappointed by it, I didn't find it that it made me squirm at any point either and most of the time I just laughed when someone was killed or bitten. Then again that's my reaction to most horror, and as I had low expectations for this I think I enjoyed it just because it wasn't mostly rubbish.

cliggg

I saw this yesterday and enjoyed it, it was relentless once it got going which didn't take very long. Entertaining nonsense is how I describe it.

Noodle Lizard

Just saw it too, after hearing almost unanimous good reviews.

It's alright.  I went in kind of blind and was a little disappointed to discover that it's a collection of slightly-bigger-than-normal alligators rather than one hilariously big one.  The first bit in the basement isn't very good, and the smattering of "other people" feel largely pointless - as did the generic broken family throughline.  I didn't think it had many individually great moments, the kills were all fairly boring - maybe alligators aren't quite as interesting a creature as a creature feature needs.

That being said, it was quite fun once it got going properly, and it didn't outstay its welcome, which is a rarity for horror nowadays.  I liked Barry Pepper's face, and Effy off Skins has improved as an actress.

weekender

I'm mid-way through this - need a piss fairly imminently - and so far it's decent.

What's good about it is the homage it pays to previous film-makers.

I think I'm enjoying that more than the actual film itself, so I can see why it's only getting 5 of 10. 

As a film it its own right, it's not that great.

I've fallen over/knocked things over now and can't be arsed to get up. Typing this from a keyboard on the floor, can't see the screen.

Glebe

Prolly shouldn't be reviving an old thread, but I watched this last night on Netflix (in a double bill with Godzilla vs. Kong! Which I had to rent.) and seeing as there's a thread for it decided to post here. Thought it provided decent thrills for the most part, it's well made and Emma Stone lookalike Kaya Scodelario gives a good performance. Goes a bit silly towards the end, with Barry Pepper encouraging his daughter to outswim alligators (although she does it and all, welcome to the movies) and stopping to do an emotional drama bit after his fucking arm has been bitten off. Still, it was okay.