Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steve Davis

Started by Beagle 2, August 25, 2019, 11:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

https://youtu.be/-1osxHixrFc

Fucking hell, this is amazing. Snooker and Cardiacs lads, it's finally happened.

Beagle 2

I feel like Radiohead have been trying to achieve this for years but then right at the last second Davis has sunk the black and took a shit on the Crucible.

https://youtu.be/gG02P9j406I

Shaky

Ha Ha, bloody hell. I know Davis has long been into this sort of thing but it's still an indescribably weird turn of events. What's his role in the group, anyway? A quick google isn't much help.

First track is decent but that second one is great!

sevendaughters

yeah, really good stuff. feels like it's Michael York with the other two...but still.

biggytitbo

QuoteWith Davis' modular geometry and ambient structures weaving with Torabi's keen and skewed sense of melody and York's various gifts for pipes, drones and fevered abstract are no more apparent on the 2nd track to be revealed 'Konta Chorus'.

http://rocketrecordings.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-utopia-strong-reveal-konta-chorus.html

I knew about the DJ'ing of course but this is like finding out Stuart Bingham is one of Europe's leading contemporary dance choreographers.

imitationleather

That second track is really good. I'd actually dig it even if I didn't know Steve Davis was involved!

Neville Chamberlain

Bloody brilliant stuff! How did I not know about this?!?

Sebastian Cobb

alan nagsworth

This is great stuff. I'd heard it was in the works but wasn't aware it was being released already.

I've seen Steve play a DJ set twice, at Liverpool Psych Fest and Bangface Weekender respectively. He seemed pretty lucid at the former, but at Bangface he was fucking on it. Swigging a pint of red wine during his set, flailing and raving all about the stage. We met him after and he was fairly spangled, chatted to us for quite some time about music and snooker, was a lovely bloke all round.

We heard later in the weekend that he'd been accepting challenges to play pool on the shitty little table in the Pontins arcade and had been losing to the gurned-up punters. Fucking top guy.

Blinder Data

I haven't seen the vid in the OP but I witnessed a bit of his and Kavus Torabi's DJ set at a small festival in June. Torabi was up for it, handing out rider beers to the crowd and intermittently waving his hands excitedly to the crowd.

Overall though it was a letdown. I thought Davis was meant to be a technohead, but they played 5 minutes of strange (but interesting) beatless wailing possibly of Middle Eastern origin, then spun straight into Once in a Lifetime, then Atlas by Battles, then Tomorrow Never Knows. They played the last three songs pretty much in their entirety, and there were gaps between songs like it was off his flipping iPod. I felt transported back to house parties in my first year of uni and not in a good way.

Maybe if I approached it in a different mood I'd have got more out of it, but the novelty of seeing a snooker legend wore off quickly and we trudged away early doors.

thugler

Saw them dj at glastonbury, really dug it. Mix of techno with middle eastern style to it and prog/funk/kraut/psych stuff and waiting room by fugazi for some reason. Mixing was fine and not ipod. But I'm not that arsed about mixing anyway

wosl

Like both of them, especially the relentlessly advancing trance-y march of the first one (can imagine the second having more legs in the long run, though).  Steve and pals have put together a couple of near frame-winning breaks for me with these, Clive.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 26, 2019, 10:07:45 PM
This is great stuff. I'd heard it was in the works but wasn't aware it was being released already.

I've seen Steve play a DJ set twice, at Liverpool Psych Fest and Bangface Weekender respectively. He seemed pretty lucid at the former, but at Bangface he was fucking on it. Swigging a pint of red wine during his set, flailing and raving all about the stage. We met him after and he was fairly spangled, chatted to us for quite some time about music and snooker, was a lovely bloke all round.

We heard later in the weekend that he'd been accepting challenges to play pool on the shitty little table in the Pontins arcade and had been losing to the gurned-up punters. Fucking top guy.

lol he got beat by dBridge from Bad Company https://www.instagram.com/p/BC5lo6iPETY/

Dirty Boy

Brainsurgeons 3 is supoib. I've seen Steve and Kavus a couple of times in manchester and their dj sets introduced me to a bunch of proggy and/or electronic music i wasn't aware of. The first time i went they ended with the last of Reich's Four Sections which was more than a bit mindblowing.

Given the sad demise of the Interesting Alternative show (and the more occasional Fire Shuffle), it's about time these two got nabbed for 6music right? Maybe get shot of Maconie.

boki

Enzo

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 28, 2019, 10:47:06 AM
Brainsurgeons 3 is supoib. I've seen Steve and Kavus a couple of times in manchester and their dj sets introduced me to a bunch of proggy and/or electronic music i wasn't aware of. The first time i went they ended with the last of Reich's Four Sections which was more than a bit mindblowing.

Given the sad demise of the Interesting Alternative show (and the more occasional Fire Shuffle), it's about time these two got nabbed for 6music right? Maybe get shot of Maconie.

Would love them on 6music. Are there any archive recordings of interesting alternative show floating about?

one_sharper

Quote from: Enzo on August 29, 2019, 12:41:06 AM
Would love them on 6music. Are there any archive recordings of interesting alternative show floating about?

Not sure how complete it is, or how far it goes back, but there are loads of shows on their Mixcloud channel: https://www.mixcloud.com/interestingalternative/stream/

Beagle 2

Just bought tickets to see Steve Davis in York and it's not even snooker related.

holyzombiejesus

He djed at the pub down the road from where I live and sold tickets to play him at pool before hand, and gave the money to our local food bank. Think he's playing again soon.

alan nagsworth

Got tickets myself to see them at Cafe OTO in London at the end of December. What a festive treat.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shaky on August 26, 2019, 05:09:35 AM
that second one is great!

It's interesting but I'd say it's the type of thing you have to be in the mood for.

alan nagsworth

he's on about drugs lads

Brundle-Fly

Steve Davis is what all sportspersons should aspire to.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 10, 2019, 08:42:39 PM
Steve Davis is what all sportspersons should aspire to.

If you can't handle me at my Peter Ebdon you don't deserve me at my Steve Davis.

imitationleather

Just think of all those kids digging his fresh beats, not even having heard of snooker. This could lead to a massive uptake in the sport.

Just like how Shaun Murphy has greatly increased the amount of Bible-thumping wankers with AIDS taking up space at The Crucible in April.

non capisco

I will also be in attendance at the Cafe OTO gig, shouting for "Snooker Loopy"!!!!

Don't worry, not really. I'm not that gauche. Imagine going to a Steve Davis gig and thinking he's going to play 'Snooker Loopy'.

I'll be shouting for "Wallop (Snookered)", the b-side.

phes

Quote from: boki on August 28, 2019, 01:00:50 PM
There's this, too.

Ha!

This chap (Gasman) was at my sixth form and in the same social group of indie dweebs I knocked about with in the mid 1990s. Didn't really know him well or anything, one friend removed etc but I still see him pop up on my social media chatting with friends. Bit of investigation and good to see he's been very busy the last 20 years!

Blue Jam

A friend of mine DJed with him recently, you've just reminded me to pester him for the goss...

I saw this for the first time today:

https://youtu.be/A2g6D6Ki_-Y

Haha LEDGE.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 25, 2019, 11:24:50 PM
https://youtu.be/-1osxHixrFc

Fucking hell, this is amazing. Snooker and Cardiacs lads, it's finally happened.

Ha, I've just noticed that's on Rocket Recordings. Should be Nugget Recordings, surely?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: phes on September 10, 2019, 10:45:05 PM
Ha!

This chap (Gasman) was at my sixth form and in the same social group of indie dweebs I knocked about with in the mid 1990s. Didn't really know him well or anything, one friend removed etc but I still see him pop up on my social media chatting with friends. Bit of investigation and good to see he's been very busy the last 20 years!

ah mate, gasman is fuckin amazing, one of my fave electronic musicians i reckon in terms of prolific output which is largely really good and unique. hate being such a big fan though as trying to sell it to people and not calling it "like contemporary classical IDM" and looking like a complete fucking fork is difficult. but he is really good.