Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:35:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

tiny cheap wordprocessor laptop/tablet

Started by PlanktonSideburns, August 26, 2019, 11:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Off to do a masters next month, I only have a tower pc at the moment, so I was looking into getting a small laptop, or maybe a tablet with a keyboard built in, for just doing Google docs, taking notes, surfing the Internet

I'm cycling round lots, so the cheaper the better, anyone bought something like this recently? Haven't bought a laptop since 2009 so don't know what's available

What would be the cheapest solution? Laptop with no OS, put Linux on it? Tablet with keyboard case? Streaming videos would be the most strenuous task on it probably. If it could run reaper that would be a bonus

Zetetic

What's the Masters in? (Mostly nosiness, but it might be relevant. Noting the mention of REAPER.)

PlanktonSideburns

It's an art/music tec/business one, but the nature of my project means I will be probably doing no work related to a music project on it, so if I am using reaper on it, it will be on very small projects,  or maybe 2 channel field recording stuff, nothing that's going to push even the most basic of machines. I'd rather have one that couldn't do it if it meant it could be a little 10 handbag sizes thing for making notes on

biggytitbo

peanutbutter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 26, 2019, 07:27:00 PM
Get a used thinkpad, put an SSD (20-30 quid) in it if you want it to go faster.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Intel-Core-i5-3230m-2-6Ghz-8GB-500GB-8-1-Laptop-Notebook/273971995076?hash=item3fca00e1c4:g:2voAAOSwjm5dWxPq

I was reading bad news about Chromebooks today:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/22/buying_a_chromebook_dont_forget_to_check_when_it_expires/
Was gonna suggest an X220T ThinkPad until I noticed they specified small.

Surface Pro 3 is prolly cheap enough now and light and powerful as a word processor/note taker

PlanktonSideburns

Ah thanks guys! Will check these links out. Quite like the idea of having a big old think pad, they're almost a retro design now!

peanutbutter

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 26, 2019, 09:18:20 PM
Ah thanks guys! Will check these links out. Quite like the idea of having a big old think pad, they're almost a retro design now!
Def go X220 over 230 if you want retro, the keyboard is amazing!

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Serious answer: Lenovo Tab and a bluetooth keyboard case. I got one for Christmas in 2015 and my reaction was "Ooooh, Android! This looks like a fun toy!" but I have actually ended up using it for work loads as well as playing daft little games on it. The Microsoft Office apps have most of the functionality of the desktop versions, and they're also free if you have an Office 365 subscription through werk/study.

Make sure you install all the updates of the OS though. I had to do a hard reset after I neglected to do this for a while. Now it's still going strong after four years...

PlanktonSideburns

Yea I'm leaning towards a tablet maybe

Tempted by the ones those CUNTS over at Amazon make for sheer cheapness. One with some USB port would be hella sweet. Can you plug audio interfaces in them now? I know about 5 years ago it was begging to be the case

sponk

I've got a Lenovo IdeaPad 120s. It's tiny and very light and the battery lasts for ages, but it's a bit shit really. I don't like the keyboard and the mouse is unresponsive. Cheap though

pigamus

I've got an iOTA One, just over a hundred quid on Amazon, can't go wrong

hedgehog90

I'm looking for a laptop for my nan, thinking of getting one of these cheap ThinkPads everyone goes on about.
I'm not sure which one to get though. Apparently X230s are better performing than X240s, but X240s have better battery life and appears to be a bit cheaper.
Either way I'm planning on an 8gb ram model with no HDD, so I can whack in a 250gb SSD.
Considering it'll only be used for light web browsing, which one should I get?