Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley new trailer

Started by problemarea, March 22, 2005, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatmuch

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Slackboy"I'd really appreciate some kind of explanation because I really can't see what damage Morris is doing with his work and opinions.

Some further reading:

Jam
Dark
Sit-Trag
Heresy
Funny how people who proclaim that comedy should be basically silly take themselves so seriously.
Anyway - Cat's Cradle, Dr. Strangelove, Harold and Maude, Heathers, Charles Addams, The Ladykillers, Alan Bennett- Talking Heads" - all knowingly and self-consciously black comedy.
And yes, a lot of people did cringe at Basil Fawlty when he messed up and I certainly didn't simply 'identify' with him.
Also anyone who didn't like People Like Us is just silly.

Darrell

Quote from: "thatmuch"Funny how people who proclaim that comedy should be basically silly take themselves so seriously.

I long for the days when it was called Some Of The Wacky Underpants Are Full Of Custard And Bananas.

R. Sparts

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "thatmuch"Funny how people who proclaim that comedy should be basically silly take themselves so seriously.

I long for the days when it was called Some Of The Wacky Underpants Are Full Of Custard And Bananas.

That made me think of the 'Custardy Pants Tournament' in Bottom.  Now THAT was comedy ;-)

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Darrell"I long for the days when it was called Some Of The Wacky Underpants Are Full Of Custard And Bananas.

The rot set in when they did that whole article without a laughter track.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "thatmuch"
Funny how people who proclaim that comedy should be basically silly take themselves so seriously.

Who's this? SOTCAA, Lawson and Armstrong, or the Heresy team?

I've never claimed comedy should just be silly - I tend to argue the opposite, if anything.

And I agree with the list of black-comedy examples. They're all good examples, unlike The Office and Nighty Night which aren't.

Jon_Norton

ELW10's bowtie was revolving as he typed that.

phmc

Excellently put together trailer, just can't quite understand what point you're trying to make. Low viewing figures = crap programme? Bits of it reminded you of The Office, which you weren't all that keen on? Chris Morris has let you down by not hating Charlie Brooker?

Have just joined the forum and am still catching up with months of Barley-bile - apologies if I'm repeating anything.

David Qunt

Quote from: "phmc"apologies if I'm repeating anything.

I think that's par for the course round here ;)

phmc

Quote from: "David Qunt"
Quote from: "phmc"apologies if I'm repeating anything.

I think that's par for the course round here ;)

Along with writing off Nathan Barley months before anyone had seen it.

alan strang

Quote from: "phmc"Along with writing off Nathan Barley months before anyone had seen it.

Prescience is a virtue.

phmc

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "phmc"Along with writing off Nathan Barley months before anyone had seen it.

Prescience is a virtue.

It can make you look a bit smug though, can't it?