Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:50:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley new trailer

Started by problemarea, March 22, 2005, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan strang

Quote from: "Mister Six"The track's Beefheart, but I can't remember which one.

It's 'Woe-is-uh-Me-Bop' (from 'Lick My Decals Off Baby').

There's a download of the original Beefheart TV ad here:

http://www.beefheart.com/filtered/index.html

And a nice archive news article about the banning here:

http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/lickban.htm

dutchcurridge

I rather thought that the part where Freeman is being told "Your whole planet is gonna be blown up mother fucker" is said by Mos Def - seeing as he's playing Ford Prefect in the new Hitchhiker's movie (with Freeman in the Arthur Dent role) - it sure looks like he's wearing a green gown.

And although this is not entirely gospel, I believe the subliminal message is "Ayoade is a c**t" - a homage to the whole "Grade is a c**t" subliminal message in the original 1997 transmission of the Moral Decline episode (it's not the one on the DVD).

Just a thought (or two).

Ambient Sheep

It must be very subliminal because I haven't managed to see it yet.  If it's a flash-frame then either my eyes are too small or the version of Flash I have doesn't bother to show it.  When/where is it?

Oh, and thanks for the Beefheart info.  Didn't know any of that, so now I'm wondering where I've seen/heard it before.  Some late night clipshow somewhere in years gone past?

Lee

It's literally just as Ayoade comes on screen.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Lee"It's literally just as Ayoade comes on screen.
Oh yes, so it is.  Christ I'm getting crap in my old age.  I can't even type "my eyes are too slow" any more either.

Thanks for the info.

butnut

'Flamingkitties' posted this on NotBBC. (I only went over there to see what they were saying about this, honest!)

Ambient Sheep

Oh brilliant, butnut, thanks ever so much, saves me having to get hold of some bit of software to read the poster as well (even though someone else had already typed out what it said, I was interested).

Kudos yet again to Strang for so well mimicking the keying technique used for the BES hidden message.

alan strang

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Oh, and thanks for the Beefheart info.  Didn't know any of that, so now I'm wondering where I've seen/heard it before.  Some late night clipshow somewhere in years gone past?

Perhaps John Peel's Beefheart documentary on BBC2 a few years back? They showed a bit of it on that (intercut with Ry Cooder telling the story about the TV station getting hate mail).

Mildly Diverting

As for some unknown reason my work browser seems to be blocking flash , is there any chance of a link to the swf file, Alan? Cheers.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "butnut"(picture)

'Flamingkitties' posted this on NotBBC. (I only went over there to see what they were saying about this, honest!)
After reading your post, I just popped over there as well to have a look, and found the following.  Apologies if it's already been posted on one of the NB Episode 4 to 6 threads (or indeed elsewhere), but since I haven't read those yet, except the end of the #6 thread, I wouldn't know.

I blame Red Dwarf, although it seemed a good idea at the time.

I suppose it would be deliciously ironic if, due to the lousy viewing figures, NB never even got a DVD release, wouldn't it?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "alan strang"Perhaps John Peel's Beefheart documentary on BBC2 a few years back? They showed a bit of it on that (intercut with Ry Cooder telling the story about the TV station getting hate mail).
Ah yes, might have been!  I think I did see that.

On the other hand maybe someone else has "appropriated" that ciggy-throwing sequence for an advert or something - it seems more familar to me than a one-off Beefheart doc that I may or may not have watched would have made it.

Shit that was a lousy sentence.

hands cold, liver warm

sorry for just repeating what others have said but that trailer is brilliant. well done.

is there a way to save it and keep it forever to show my children?

poor fool

whoever made that clearly has some talent. maybe it could be put to better use than slating a programme off the telly though.........?

jutl

Quote from: "poor fool"whoever made that clearly has some talent. maybe it could be put to better use than slating a programme off the telly though.........?

It'd be difficult unless he knows what you look like.

alan strang

Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"is there a way to save it and keep it forever to show my children?

You should be able to find the .swf file in the source code for the surrounding page. It isn't hidden away.

I might upload a proper downloadable .avi version somewhere later (thus opening up plenty of scope for people to shout "hypocrite", having previously had several rants about the veracity of virals!).

Quote from: "poor fool"whoever made that clearly has some talent. maybe it could be put to better use than slating a programme off the telly though.........?

Yes... if only there were some way we could use it to replace petrol.......?

Suggestions p.t.o....?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Are you a granny?

Mister Six

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Mister Six"The track's Beefheart, but I can't remember which one.

It's 'Woe-is-uh-Me-Bop' (from 'Lick My Decals Off Baby').

Ah, the clue being the bit where Beefheart sings "Woe-is-uh-me-bop," yes?

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "alan strang"I might upload a proper downloadable .avi version somewhere later (thus opening up plenty of scope for people to shout "hypocrite", having previously had several rants about the veracity of virals!).

Make sure you put "by alan strang" in the corner at some point though otherwise someone will nick it.

poor fool

these illustrations seem very similar to the one that were on 'sunday heroes' from TMWRNJ. any connection......?

Purple Tentacle

Yes. They came from the same pair of hands and eyes.

poor fool

excellent news. i always thought that Judas was a funny picture. it made me laugh and laugh.

greencalx

Obvious things I've only just realised #67852: Christ's Fat Cock.

Nice one, Alan.

daephid

thats the ugliest most unfunny piece of shite ive ever seen... fair enough if you didnt like the show but dont try sell your rubbish animations of the back of its unpopularity..

and "ayoade is a cunt?", just shut up now will you, child.

You signed up to say that? What an effective animation that was.

Quote from: "daephid"thats the ugliest most unfunny piece of shite ive ever seen... fair enough if you didnt like the show but dont try sell your rubbish animations of the back of its unpopularity..

and "ayoade is a cunt?", just shut up now will you, child.

Sell?  All he did was post the link, it was everyone else who sold it.  I wouldn't say he was selling anything, just expressing his opinion.

pandadeath

It was pretty pathetic really.

Quote from: "pandadeath"It was pretty pathetic really.

Why so?

Rats

Yeah, I've changed my mind, it was shit. Let's get him boys.
This must be the fastest backlash in history. Is Alan Strang as funny as he used to be?

I dont know, but hopefully after this he'll go back to radio.