Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:48:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley new trailer

Started by problemarea, March 22, 2005, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

Yeah I didn't see any actual jokes in there at all.

Oh no, new page, nail me to a cross, etc.

imitationleather

Quote from: "Rats"Yeah, I've changed my mind, it was shit. Let's get him boys.
This must be the fastest backlash in history. Is Alan Strang as funny as he used to be?

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I dont know, but hopefully after this he'll go back to radio.

Blimey, first The Two Ronnies get back together and now this!

Lee

Strang - Funnier Than Rats?

Discuss.

Duffy

Just watched this about 10 times in a row and am still fucking stunned by it, and I hardly watched Barley at all. Just one question, Mr. Strang: whose is that voice at the very end, as it's fading out. Sounds a bit like Björk saying "I got..."?

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"is there a way to save it and keep it forever to show my children?
You should be able to find the .swf file in the source code for the surrounding page. It isn't hidden away.
SWF link, for those who need it (Personally, I only spotted the 'subliminal' message when viewing it fullsize.)

alan strang

Quote from: "Duffy"Just one question, Mr. Strang: whose is that voice at the very end, as it's fading out. Sounds a bit like Björk saying "I got..."?

It's a sample from Show 6 - the woman behind the counter in the cafe saying "Egg..?" (after Dan Ashcroft asks for scrambled egg in his coffee). I put it in there to amuse ELW10 and Squidy because they found her delivery of that line inordinately amusing.

slim

Quote from: "daephid"and "ayoade is a cunt?", just shut up now will you, child.
Yeah, strang, that was well playground. Why would you take cheap shots like that in your humour? Especially when they're not a worthy target like Kaye or Stewart.

TJ

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I dont know, but hopefully after this he'll go back to radio.

Pftht. Everyone knows he was best on that Welsh Schools Massed Choir album.

Hornet

That was well jackson

peace and fucking yeah?

Quote from: "imitationleather"
Quote from: "Rats"Yeah, I've changed my mind, it was shit. Let's get him boys.
This must be the fastest backlash in history. Is Alan Strang as funny as he used to be?

Blimey, first The Two Ronnies get back together and now this!

And its goodnight from me.
And its fuck off antelope n**gers from him.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "daephid"thats the ugliest most unfunny piece of shite ive ever seen... fair enough if you didnt like the show but dont try sell your rubbish animations of the back of its unpopularity..

and "ayoade is a cunt?", just shut up now will you, child.

Hello Richard!!

What if the animation was "I LOVE Nathan Barley?" Would you still think he shouldn't ''sell'' his animations on the fact that a lot of people liked the show?

mememe

Excellent work Flash bloke.

All Surrogate

The splicing "No-one's watching this CRAP any more!" cracks me up.

In the words of Peter, too gorgeous.

daephid

perhaps I was too offensive. Sorry. I have no wish to debate,  but I think its important to not forget that Chris Morris is only really out to make us laugh. Im not completely happy with Nathan Barley as much as any of you, but at the same time I know he doesnt owe me anything... theres still plenty of things hes done I like.

What I meant by "selling" off it was this: the animation is quite well done as far as web animation goes, I still dont think its good but then Im a cynic. Basically it doesnt have any substance or point at all (barley is crap doesnt count, try harder).Therefore, someone's put in a load of effort to reach an audience of pissed morris fans to show off what he can do. Moreover, its a perfect and predicable example of the frustratingly circular nature of the "idiots", posting a parody of a parody of YOURSELF on the fansite of the original creator... its easy to see why Dan Ashcroft got so frustrated!

Saying Ayoade is a cunt was a low blow. This is basically a poor and halfhearted attempt to gain attention for yourself... the guy was diligently trying to play a role which for many was a highlight of the show. If your going to criticise that's fine, but at least hit a target.

Why cant you be happy knowing morris gave an honest go at something which he has little experience in (narrative).. it may have failed or missed expectations but big deal! Hes not stupid and you should have no doubt he will try twice as hard next time round.

Noone deserves to be kicked when theyre down, thats all.

david

Godzilla Bankrolls

The Duck Man

Quote from: "daephid"Noone deserves to be kicked when theyre down, thats all.
Yes they bloody do, that's when it's the most fun.

Oh, and the apostrophe key isn't too hard to find is it?

DJ One Record

Well then by that token stop stomping on us poor idiots while we're recovering from the smackdown laid upon us by Nathan Barley.

Quote from: "The Duck Man"
Yes they bloody do, that's when it's the most fun.

Oh, and the apostrophe key isn't too hard to find is it?

Don't be so snide, and leave Richard- sorry, David, alone to express himself.

micanio

thatmuch

Why Trevor and Simon? Why Captain Beefheart? Why "your whole planet's been blown up muthafucker"? Was the Daily Mail outraged?

alan strang

Quote from: "thatmuch"Why Trevor and Simon? Why Captain Beefheart? Why "your whole planet's been blown up muthafucker"? Was the Daily Mail outraged?

Trev and Simon = whimsy on my part (although I like the idea of something so totally removed from the nature of the show popping up in the middle, just for the sake of contrast).

Captain Beefheart = another whimsical diversion for contrast, although I've given it more of a point in the newer version.

'Your whole planet's been blown up...' = movie version of Hitch-Hikers using tired Office-style reaction shots, as per 'Nathan Barley'.

'Was the Daily Mail outraged?' No - the cartoon Ayoade is playing a game called 'Outrage The Daily Mail' - a game which 'Nathan Barley' seemed to enjoy indulging in too.

Anyway, for anyone who still fancies it, here's the cut-out-and-keep avi version:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1006536/nathanbarely.avi.html

Rats

Alan Strang has just fled to france clutching a kitchen knife and what he described to waiting paparazzi as an "apple-arsed twinks straw hammering cockcumber"

butnut

Strang is now famous - he's made it onto a torrent on UKNova.

mememe

Quote from: "daephid"Saying Ayoade is a cunt was a low blow. This is basically a poor and halfhearted attempt to gain attention for yourself... the guy was diligently trying to play a role which for many was a highlight of the show. If your going to criticise that's fine, but at least hit a target.

Oh, I thought that was a joke?

Maybe ayoade is a c*nt - dont know the chap myself, perhaps someone who does can confirm or deny...

... daephid?

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "daephid"Saying Ayoade is a cunt was a low blow. This is basically a poor and halfhearted attempt to gain attention for yourself.

How does that work, exactly?

Leslie

Quote from: "daephid"Saying Grade is a cunt was a low blow. This is basically a poor and halfhearted attempt to gain attention for yourself.

Yeah, face it Strang.  You'd step over your own mother for some of that sweet Internet notoriety.

Regular John

Quote from: "daephid"HRRMMMMMMUUHHHHHHGUUUUHHHHFFLLLLLLLLMMMNNNNNNNGGGGGFFFF.

The trailer played on all the obvious stylistic elements of the series, albeit exaggerated somewhat for comedic value. If anyone were to appreciate the medium of comedic parody it would be fans of Chris Morris.

Again the "Ayoade is a cunt" subliminal caption was simply a parody of Morris doing the same to Michael Grade. Plenty of people, those who enjoyed the series aswell as those who did not, though that Ayoade was utterly terrible at delivering a performance that required only a basic ability to deliver simple lines.

I can only imagine that Chris Morris, or the equally amiable Charlie Brooker, would find this amusing. I can only assume they have seen it as Mr. Brooker has posted here on numerous occasions and something of this quality would have made it's way to Chris at some point.

Slackboy

Didn't Brooker use one of his rare appearances here to tell you all that Ayoade wasn't a cunt?

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=191843&highlight=#191843

I've been holding this in for a while but now can't resist it: the trailer was well Smanks.

Dammit.

Quote from: "Slackboy"Didn't Brooker use one of his rare appearances here to tell you all that Ayoade wasn't a cunt?

Ah I wasn't really asking, just making a cheap point that Daephid might be somehow connected to the NB production - at least I bloody well hope he is because if he's not then signing up a c&b account simply to make a single complaint about a silly animation one of the members did kind of counters his stance that we should chill out criticising the show.

Actually that Ayoade chap used to post here too if memory serves - rather strange posts he used to make.