Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:04:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sometimes I just want to watch a film

Started by weekender, August 26, 2019, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Decided to try and watch a film that I bought on DVD.

15 minutes later, still can't get past the fucking adverts.

I DON'T WANT THE WHOLE CINEMA EXPERIENCE, THAT'S WHY I PAID MONEY TO BUY THE FUCKING FILM.  YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE ME WATCH ADVERTS FOR FILMS THAT WERE MADE 10-20 YEARS AGO, WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT?  I'M NOT GOING TO GO AND WATCH 'THE WRESTLER' BECAUSE YOUR 10 MINUTE ADVERT FOR IT IS AT THE START OF 'IN THE LOOP', EVEN THOUGH I DO QUITE LIKE WRESTLING AND THINK IT'S A DECENT ENOUGH FILM.

THEY'RE STILL GOING.

VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA.  NEVER GOING TO WATCH IT.  JUST FUCK OFF.  WHO CAME UP WITH THIS FUCKING SHIT?  WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME WATCH THE FUCKING ADVERTS?

Fuck it, I'm going to throw popcorn and drinks at myself.

In fact, I'm going one better.

I have just stamped on the case of DVD of 'In The Loop', which I was considering watching, and have made sure that the case is broken and that also the DVD containing its stupid fucking adverts can also get fucked (I took a knife to it).

Don't care about the film's merits or demerits now, just fuck off.

BritishHobo

The worst thing is those interminable fucking anti-piracy ads which were always made unskippable. Why are you preaching at me about not pirating DVDs? I fucking bought this one.

Small Man Big Horse

madhair60

Just press skip scene or press menu, for fuck's sake it's not that hard

pigamus

Funnily enough, I feel exactly the opposite. I like having to be force-fed a bit of broccoli before I get my ice cream, because then I feel like I've earned the ice cream. The culture of instant gratification makes me profoundly uneasy. "What, you're giving me exactly what I want, straight away, all the time, with no consequences? Are you mad? What the fuck are you doing that for?"

Blumf

Quote from: madhair60 on August 26, 2019, 05:30:47 PM
Just press skip scene or press menu, for fuck's sake it's not that hard

OPERATION NOT PERMITTED AT THIS TIME

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on August 26, 2019, 06:31:16 PM
OPERATION NOT PERMITTED AT THIS TIME

Some of the cheap Chinese players just ignore those flags. Great bunch of lads.

Head Gardener

Thursday

Interesting Fact: Any movie that has this kind of anti-advert skipping encoding on the DVD is bad and not worth watching anyway.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on August 26, 2019, 10:10:42 PM
Handbrake, libdvdcss, Plex. Sorted.

In the time that takes you could download a bluray rip.

Captain Z

In my experience the best way to avoid anti-piracy ads is to just find somewhere to stream the film for free online.

Mister Six

Quote from: Captain Z on August 27, 2019, 12:03:22 AM
In my experience the best way to avoid anti-piracy ads is to just find somewhere to stream the film for free online.

Aye, this. Also the best way to avoid annoying DRM in games. When will the fucked learn?!

Cold Meat Platter

Christ he's sexy. Look at the curl on that lip/spazmo face-wrong.

steveh

Back in peak DVD days I always wished Amazon would include on their DVD pages the length of time between putting in the disc and being able to start watching the actual movie.

mojo filters

At least you only have to watch the ads etc once. My worst memories of peak DVD boxset consumption came from TV shows with loud menus that came up automatically, after each episode ended.

I have particularly bad memories of otherwise great shows like The West Wing, where if you fell asleep worse for wear before stopping the disc - you eventually woke up thoroughly traumatised by the incredibly intrusive, loud and constantly repeating 10 second burst of theme tune assailing your groggy ears.

Brian Freeze

Anyone know why some DVDs have trailers and some don't?

olliebean

Quote from: Brian Freeze on August 27, 2019, 05:18:40 PM
Anyone know why some DVDs have trailers and some don't?

I'm just guessing, but I think it's to do with whether the people who make the DVD put trailers on it or not.