Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hey Beeb! What is point?

Started by Blumf, August 27, 2019, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49481210
QuoteThe BBC is planning to launch a digital voice assistant next year, the corporation has announced.

It will not be a hardware device in its own right but is being designed to work on all smart speakers, TVs and mobiles.

The plan is to activate it with the wake-word Beeb, although this is "a working title", a spokesman said.

Errr... could we have the archives digitised and permanently available on iPlayer instead please? This is pointlessly out of remit and a waste of money.

the

The most telling word in the article might be 'trusted'. Are they trying to find a crevice into which they can exploit becoming a 'trusted British' tech brand? (ie. something for pensioners to be loyal to.) Just trying to decode the flavour of marketing mania that has brought this about.

Hinting at diversifying:

Quote"This marks another step in ensuring public service values can be protected in a voice-enabled future."

Right on. Er, what

MojoJojo

I'm pretty sure wake words need to be three syllables, so the wake word won't be "beeb".

That's my exciting take on the topic.

[edit] and it's even mentioned in the article. Great, I was worried my contribution might have some value[/edit]

biggytitbo

Hey beeb, could you tell me a lie about Jeremy Corbyn please?

kalowski

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 27, 2019, 11:42:15 AM
I'm pretty sure wake words need to be three syllables, so the wake word won't be "beeb".

That's my exciting take on the topic.

[edit] and it's even mentioned in the article. Great, I was worried my contribution might have some value[/edit]
"Fuck you, Beeb. Play radio 4 live."

BlodwynPig

Hey Beeb, tell me something beige about picnic food

momatt

Quote from: Blumf on August 27, 2019, 11:07:12 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49481210
Errr... could we have the archives digitised and permanently available on iPlayer instead please? This is pointlessly out of remit and a waste of money.

I think this is because the new Sky remotes have a stupid voice-control feature on them.  So iPlayer has to have one too.

But yeah, it's really fucking stupid.  iPlayer is great as it is.  But a bigger archive would be awesome of course.

Cloud

They should use "auntie" as the wake word

marquis_de_sad

It could be customisable. Depending on your preference, you either say "left wing bias" or "right wing bias".

Cloud

Twed

These cunts should focus on their core business, "micros".

Shit Good Nose

I've just checked and the smart voice assistant thing (which we never use) on our LG works with iPlayer. 

I wonder how much they're blowing on something that already exists...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 29, 2019, 09:34:31 PM
I wonder how much they're blowing on something that already exists...

If it's related to what I think it is, not all that much because the voice engine was developed as a means to find things in their archives.

momatt

Also - what the fuck is the point of BBC Sounds?  I love the iPlayer app and use it nearly as much as Spotify, it's great!

Why do they have to keep mucking about with things?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: momatt on August 30, 2019, 11:52:13 AM
Also - what the fuck is the point of BBC Sounds?  I love the iPlayer app and use it nearly as much as Spotify, it's great!

The thing that really pisses me off about that is they've retired the bbc playlister functionality, you used to be able to add a song on the radio as it was playing to a playlist, or from the historic playlist so you could mark it for later research if you were busy at work etc. But they've fucked it off due to low interest and replaced it with a 'play this track on spotify button' which isn't the same thing.

idunnosomename

i notice if you ask alexa to play radio 4 it now says "BBC SOUNDS!!!" before it does

because BBC Sounds was a desperate rebranding of iplayer to make it look more like podcasts. you know, like the kids have

all superficial, because you've still got John Humphrys tonguing some hard right tory anus most mornings

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: momatt on August 30, 2019, 11:52:13 AM

Because it seems that it was part of the last charter renewal that they have to steadily increase the number of clicks it takes to get from the BBC home page to the radio listings pages.