Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:14:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Services, That Peter Kay Thing and Phoenix Nights

Started by madhair60, August 27, 2019, 11:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solid Jim

Quote from: jobotic on August 28, 2019, 10:45:21 AM
I don't often laugh out loud at comedy programmes but I did uncontrollably when I first saw the ice cream man have his freak out in the van.

The line delivery that always comes back to me is "What's this? MILK!?" when his assistant returns with the melted ice cream.

darby o chill

Quote from: petrilTanaka on August 27, 2019, 06:22:06 PM
Das Boot fruit machine is always a winner

Schnell! Schnell!
And the old bags -
I'm havin his fridge freezer, less than 12 months old that.
What about his dog?
Get it put down.

First series is great.

petril

I wish they'd done more with Alan being a recurring character in every episode, but it seems a running thing with Kay that things get dropped. Like questioning whether Brian Potter was really paraplegic or faking it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: darby o chill on September 02, 2019, 10:23:12 PM
Schnell! Schnell!
And the old bags -
I'm havin his fridge freezer, less than 12 months old that.
What about his dog?
Get it put down.

First series is great.

"A little respect for The Captain"
*places pint on coffin*

darby o chill

Quote from: petrilTanaka on September 02, 2019, 10:47:45 PM
...questioning whether Brian Potter was really paraplegic or faking it.
Totally missed him walking in TPKT 'In the club', just saw it after looking it up. Wiki says Kay admitted it was a mistake.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 02, 2019, 10:51:19 PM
"A little respect for The Captain"
*places pint on coffin*

Haha. That whole Captain scenario is great.

'ee.... 'ee were asthmatic! Put him in the Pennine suite.

H-O-W-L

I've forgotten all of Phoenix Nights season 2 except for the insane levels of racism and the bit where he gets stuck on the stairs.

non capisco

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 03, 2019, 12:09:21 AM
I've forgotten all of Phoenix Nights season 2 except for the insane levels of racism and the bit where he gets stuck on the stairs.

I think the quite funny quiz night bit is series 2.

"The answer to question 15 is...the Shroud of Turin!"
"What did we have?"
"Lisa Stansfield."

Wasn't it the dodgy 'Ant and Dec' Chinese immigrant stuff that directly led to Kay and Kitson falling out?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: non capisco on September 03, 2019, 12:26:35 AM

"What did we have?"
"Lisa Stansfield."

Wasn't it the dodgy 'Ant and Dec' Chinese immigrant stuff that directly led to Kay and Kitson falling out?

I can't be sure but I know from anecdotes here on CaB that Kitson took a very fucking dim view in regard to Peter Kay's Hilariously Wacky Racial Characters, yeah. Not to mention the Japanese stereotypes in the first episode of the second season, whom I do remember quite vividly.

petril

Quote from: non capisco on September 03, 2019, 12:26:35 AM

"What did we have?"
"Lisa Stansfield."

the "guess the intro" question is a great gag in itself. WALKING ON THE MOOOON

Captain Z

I've just rewatched it over the last few days and it's still brilliant. Didn't notice too much of a drop in quality between series 1 and 2, only gripe is slightly too much Max & Paddy towards the end which was obviously setting up their spinoff series. Excellent attention to detail and continuity, including the episode from TPKT, e.g. "50/50 dancing" posters in the background during both series. Always found Peter Kay's obsession with 80s/90s pop quite charming. Interesting to spot a young Philomena Cunk playing the brewery manager's fiance in the final episode.

I think 'insane levels of racism' is a bit of a stretch, but accept there's a couple of things you probably wouldn't put into a sitcom these days. Interesting that Daniel Kitson went along with dressing up and performing as Gary Glitter if he found those aspects problematic.

madhair60

Quote from: Captain Z on September 03, 2019, 12:07:54 PM
Interesting that Daniel Kitson went along with dressing up and performing as Gary Glitter if he found those aspects problematic.

Well hang on, that's making his character/The Phoenix the joke for being tone-deaf. "Ant and Dec" were just lazy me so solly racist shit.

Famous Mortimer

But they were on the right side of the "Send The Buggers Back" bit.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: madhair60 on September 03, 2019, 01:04:37 PM
Well hang on, that's making his character/The Phoenix the joke for being tone-deaf. "Ant and Dec" were just lazy me so solly racist shit.
Can remember reading an interview with Benedict Wong where he said auditioning for a part in Phoenix Nights (presumably one of 'Ant and Dec') made him want to pack in acting, albeit as he was sick of only getting the chance to do such stereotypical parts.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 03, 2019, 03:13:05 PM
Can remember reading an interview with Benedict Wong where he said auditioning for a part in Phoenix Nights (presumably one of 'Ant and Dec') made him want to pack in acting, albeit as he was sick of only getting the chance to do such stereotypical parts.

Yeah, he mentioned this anecdote at the 15 Storeys High retrospective earlier this summer. And now he's a Skeksis!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Captain Z on September 03, 2019, 12:07:54 PMDidn't notice too much of a drop in quality between series 1 and 2,

I've been watching it all since this thread started, and I'm halfway through series 2 now - I have to say that I think there is a drop in quality. Also, I don't remember nearly as much as I do of series 1, so it was certainly less memorable.

TPKT and The Services were a cut above Phoenix Nights.

Gulftastic

The need in the second series of PN to end every episode on a 'wah-wah' moment hurt it a lot.

Gurke and Hare

Also, someone says "Dick'ead" about every 20 seconds in series 2. Was he selling a t-shirt with it on?

When that car's speaking alarm went off, I originally thought it was saying, 'Oi, get back, ya p**i bastard.  I'll break your legs!'

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 03, 2019, 07:35:57 PM
Also, someone says "Dick'ead" about every 20 seconds in series 2. Was he selling a t-shirt with it on?

That reminds me, I need to listen to that episode of Peacock & Gamble again. "Fick-fack-fuck!"

Sebastian Cobb

monkfromhavana

petril

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 03, 2019, 08:29:40 PM
Clinton Baptiste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd79Ie_vWyQ

Brilliant

Clinton Baptiste is Sparky from Eyes Down

also: "you can walk". another hint from the thing that was dropped.

Bennett Brauer

Had no idea there was a second series of Alex Lowe's Clinton Baptiste's podcast out, and an upcoming tour. Will probably see him at the Leicester Comedy Festival in Feb.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 03, 2019, 02:38:51 AM
I can't be sure but I know from anecdotes here on CaB that Kitson took a very fucking dim view in regard to Peter Kay's Hilariously Wacky Racial Characters, yeah. Not to mention the Japanese stereotypes in the first episode of the second season, whom I do remember quite vividly.

On the director's commentary, they bring up Kitson not being proud of it as a running joke. They're clearly not fussed.

That Peter Kay Thing was the best thing Peter Kay ever did. It's still great and always will be because of how accurate it is. Leonard for example is a brilliant character and although Kay admits it's almost wholesale based on a bloke who used to come into the garage he worked in, it's still a fantastically observed bit of comedy. The Phoenix Nights pilot is also so well formed and detailed that it could seamlessly be turned into a series.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on September 04, 2019, 07:39:36 PM
On the director's commentary, they bring up Kitson not being proud of it as a running joke. They're clearly not fussed.

Or they clearly are fussed, which is why they keep bringing it up.

Sebastian Cobb

And didn't Kay get Kitson blurred out on the repeats?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 04, 2019, 07:49:58 PM
And didn't Kay get Kitson blurred out on the repeats?

I doubt it - it was a fairly substantial speaking part so it would have looked extremely odd.

Do we know why they changed from the fake fly on the wall to the straight sitcom format?