Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Great British Bake-Off 2019

Started by Blue Jam, August 27, 2019, 08:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMTV

Are the incessant innuendos a key part of this now? It just seems so forced. At least in the carry on films they had some kind of basis for making them, and probably featured at a lower rate than it does in bake off.

I'm talking as someone who's sat through a reasonable number of these over the last few years.

GMTV

I'm not sure if it's the fact I'm continually analysing everything said on the show to determine if it was supposed to be an innuendo or not. It's annoying me that I'm putting so much effort into it when it really doesn't deserve it.

daf

What have we had so far? . .

"Furry Garden" = Fairy Garden cake (sounds rude enough as it is)

"How big is your Organ" = Pipe organ cake (other options : "How do you keep your pipe from flopping? / stay upright")

Blue Jam

Yes, it's always been this smutty, it's just more jarring now because Muuuury Berry was so much better at keeping a straight face than giggling schoolboy Paul:

GMTV

The other scenario is I'm massively over analysing it and c. 20 years of CaB membership has polluted my mind beyond all recognition.

GMTV

Furry garden was mentioned a few times, and it apparently went over the contestants head. Until she begrudgingly had to say yes I have relatively large amounts of public hair. Now please let me continue with cake baking.

I know how Im sounding with this. I think low to moderate levels of innuendo in this is fine and will enhance the experience for all. It's just I've noticed in this series its almost relentless, as if they're being all edgy with it. But they're the ones who have deliberately tried to create the sterile, asexual, and inclusive atmosphere to the programme.

Blue Jam

Sterile and asexual is better than Paul being pervy...

dr beat

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 05, 2019, 03:35:37 PM
Yes, it's always been this smutty, it's just more jarring now because Muuuury Berry was so much better at keeping a straight face than giggling schoolboy Paul:

What was that line - 'I've never tried hemp'?

Blue Jam

"What is hemp? Is it a kind of grass?"

Come on Muuuuury, we all know you lived through the Sixties...

jamiefairlie

Quote from: GMTV on September 05, 2019, 03:43:55 PM
Furry garden was mentioned a few times, and it apparently went over the contestants head. Until she begrudgingly had to say yes I have relatively large amounts of public hair. Now please let me continue with cake baking.

I know how Im sounding with this. I think low to moderate levels of innuendo in this is fine and will enhance the experience for all. It's just I've noticed in this series its almost relentless, as if they're being all edgy with it. But they're the ones who have deliberately tried to create the sterile, asexual, and inclusive atmosphere to the programme.

Mel & Sue were much better at handling it (oooh-errr). The new duo seem much more forced and have zero chemistry.

Blue Jam

"When Alice isn't busy with her pets or her job as a vet, she's using instruments from work in her bakes"

That was a dog's bum thermometer she just put into that cake, wasn't it?

Blue Jam

Paul hates matcha. He also hates chilli. And booze in baking.This week: Three different types of chilli bread and one with rum-soaked fruit.The bakers never learn... Mind you, Paul is a philistine...

Blue Jam

Fougasse, good choice- it looks fancy but is a piece of piss to make. George Osborne done good this week.

Alice The Vet's safari Park bread looks great.

Had a chuckle about Steph being in Dark Crystal, but now that I learned she works three jobs (at three different shoe stores?) I find her quite lovely.

Blue Jam

https://www.bakewithalegend.com/

No, you won't be baking with LEGEND GARY, but with a Bake-Off legend of your choice! Or Ian.

Pijlstaart's Christmas present is sorted...

Is Andrew on Cameo? I would pitch in for him to be paid to read us a Pijlstaart post.

Blue Jam

I'd help crowdfund a private lesson with Andrew for Pijlstaart on the condition that Pijlstaart comes back here and posts a 5,000 word review of the experience.

Tonight: it's "Dairy Week". What the fuck is that all about? Good thing they've got no vegans in this year...

Shame they haven't got Manon involved. I'd sign up for classes, give her some flowers and marry her.

Blue Jam

I suspect half their annual turnover comes from Paul Hollywood booking repeated sessions with Ugne and Julia.

Blue Jam

"For the Signature Challenge, you have to bake four 1920's-themed custard pies"

Er what

Blue Jam

"Rabbits are the worst. They just wanna die. Rabbits are not my thing.

If your rabbit is ill, find a vet other than Alice.

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 25, 2019, 07:30:06 PM
"For the Signature Challenge, you have to bake four 1920's-themed custard pies"

Er wh

"I did these to evoke the classic movie monsters from the 20s."

That's clearly not what we asked for.

"I decorated mine with the disembodied heads of French whores."

Yes! You've nailed the brief perfectly!

Blue Jam

"For the Showstopper, we want you to make a 1920's Prohibition-themed cake. With booze in it"

Last week was Dairy Week, is this WTF Week?

seepage

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 25, 2019, 07:48:11 PM
"I did these to evoke the classic movie monsters from the 20s."

That's clearly not what we asked for.

"I decorated mine with the disembodied heads of French whores."

Yes! You've nailed the brief perfectly!

I think she missed a trick not saying her sea creature was a Cthuloid monster from the 20s. Surely a proper goth would have read Lovecraft?

Blue Jam

Awww I reckon Steph has got this in the bag. That's warmed my cockles a bit.

Dessert Week always has lots of horrible-sounding recipes though. Too much jelly and meringue and that.

Blue Jam

PAUL HOLLYWOOD: So, what's the connection between the sweet and savoury flavours?
EMBRYONIC GEORGE OSBORNE: They're just nice flavours
PAUL HOLLYWOOD: SAYS WHO?

Blue Jam

AsparagusTrevor

Alice's chocolate starfish looked very pale.

Blue Jam

"What's the biggest animal you've castrated?"

Oh Noel, you really haven't got the hang of innuendo have you?