Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:07:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Great British Bake-Off 2019

Started by Blue Jam, August 27, 2019, 08:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 23, 2019, 05:54:57 PM
"What's the biggest animal you've castrated?"

Oh Noel, you really haven't got the hang of innuendo have you?
She really wanted to castrate Noel. Although he's not as big as a big bull.

Meanwhile, every week David seems to deliberately make something wrong or nonstandard. Is he trying to get kicked off?

Blue Jam

I liked David saying "I'm not really into tarts" and "I'm a rough puff kind of guy". That's how it's done, Noel.

Blue Jam

"Oooh, you can feel it going in"

"I'm not sure if it's going in or not"

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

"It needs to be smooth and thick because it's going in my..." *recognizes innuendo* "...sheath."

Also a return to form.

druss

That was uncomfortable viewing. Like one of those nightmares you have when something important is coming up and everything that can go wrong does go wrong.

dissolute ocelot

They need to assess the bakers for psychological wellbeing before the show, it was indeed painful watching. It was clear Steph has been through a lot of life stuff, and Alice basically disintegrated under pressures both baking-related and external (glimpses of her parents' painfully managerial childrearing suggest psychological problems there too). In the end, the person who'd been cool as a frozen baking product all series triumphed by not cracking up (in recent episodes he's managed to deal with catastrophe with aplomb such as failed technicals and the time his cake was about 2 inches square so he can obviously deal with anything). Even if the contestants are far nicer to each other than in most TV programs, this year Bake Off has been about who can stay calm under stress, not about who can make the nicest sugar butterflies.

Maybe we could have a spin-off with the vet and the goth killing animals and modelling their corpses in sugar.

bgmnts

Behave. The end game is that someone stresses so much over some choux pastry that they die on tele.

Thats what we all want.

Blue Jam

Clean forgot this was on last night and managed to spoil it for myself by checking Facebook.

Sounds like I missed BINCAKE levels of psychological horror, I must catch up tonight.

Blue Jam

Ooooof, that Technical was brutal. Like BINCAKE x6 for poor Steph.

Gurke and Hare

That technical was bollocks. Souffles are cooking, not baking. Baking isn't just anything that goes in the oven.

Unfortunate to see Steph crumble in the final, but to be honest even if she was on her game it probably wouldn't have mattered. David's showstopper looked just about perfect.

(This was a very dumb finale showstopper task, by the way)

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 30, 2019, 06:59:05 PM
That technical was bollocks. Souffles are cooking, not baking. Baking isn't just anything that goes in the oven.
I look forward to the baked potato round next year. That really will be controversial.

Blue Jam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 31, 2019, 12:06:43 PM
I look forward to the baked potato round next year. That really will be controversial.

SIGNATURE BAKED POTATO:

EGGINAFUCKINGCHIP

jake thunder

Those parents. "We don't day 'good luck' in this house. We say 'good management'!"

Ugh. Barf. Puke. Retch.

Dex Sawash

Seemed the skill level was off a bit for this series. Was clear after the souffle there could only be one outcome.
Did any of them put boiling water in the bain marie? (maree?) Final was week four tier challemge.
Steph's chicken sandwich was really good tho.

Doesn't her necklace say 'Steff'?

daf

Quick plug for G-Bake Juniors - featuring Home improvement expert Harold Hill of Harold Hill

Starts tonight at 5pm

BlodwynPig

who won this one?

oh, that's nice

onwards and upwards

Quote from: daf on November 04, 2019, 12:14:49 PM
Quick plug for G-Bake Juniors - featuring Home improvement expert Harold Hill of Harold Hill

Starts tonight at 5pm

Loving this, possibly more than the adult version.

daf

Forgot to mention, that these are on each day (rather than weekly) - 15 editions over the next 3 weeks.

robotam

Great fun. only seen the first few, but yeah, better than the adult version.
surely there can't be 15 episodes? What are they going to do when they run out of children?

Edit: oh fuck. Didn't realise there were different groups that do heats. Nice

daf

G-Bake Juniors 2019 - the first lot :

Aleena, 15 from Greater Manchester
QuoteAleena lives in Greater Manchester with her Mum, Dad, two brothers and her sister. Her family have been her chief taste tester since she taught herself by watching YouTube videos at 9 years old.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Maddie, 11 from London
QuoteMaddie has been baking since she was just two years old, taught by her mum, grandmother and aunt. Inspired by her Jewish and French heritage, Maddie makes a weekly challah bread and is known for her signature French Madeleines.
Bakr, 15 from Derby
QuoteBakr lives with his mum and dad, along with his older brother and two sisters in Derby. After picking up a box of cake mix thinking it had a cake inside seven years ago, Bakr was inspired to start baking.
Zak, 13 from Hertfordshire
QuoteZak lives in Hertfordshire with his mum, dad and two brothers, and regularly bakes for his number one fan, his nan. With five years of baking experience, Zak now has a focus on presentation and a neat professional finish.
Amal, 13, from Essex
QuoteSelf-taught baker Amal lives with her mum and dad in Essex. The only baker in her family, she was inspired to take up the hobby after falling in love with baking shows seven years ago.
Oliver, 10 from Northamptonshire
QuoteOliver lives with his mum, dad and two brothers in Northamptonshire. Introduced to baking at just 6 years old by his nan, Oliver now has aspirations to follow in her footsteps and work in a bakery.
Tilly, 9 from Bath
QuoteTilly's earliest memory is baking with her granny, having learnt with her at the tender age of just two years old. Her granny's influence is still felt, as Tilly's signature lemon drizzle cake is based on the recipe passed down to her.
Vaughan, 13 from County Durham
QuoteVaughan only began baking two years ago, but inspired by YouTube videos he has already conquered millionaires shortbread cupcakes, lava cakes and meringue.
Zoe, 10 from Nottinghamshire
QuoteZoe was born in Texas, USA. She was taught to bake at just 3 years old by her American grandmother. However, it wasn't until Zoe's family moved to the UK when she was 5 years old that she began to take baking more seriously.
George, 11 from Devon
QuoteGeorge began baking at a young age with his mum and nan. Now confident on his own in the kitchen, George holds family baking competitions with his brother Alfie where he often shows off his adventurous cake decorating skills.

Blue Jam

Thanks for another useful summary daf.

When the BBC did a Junior Bake-Off it didn't work for me because A. Paul Hollywood wasn't allowed to be creepy, B. They weren't allowed to do any innuendo, and C. The kids were mostly ultra-competitive and serious like the ones on Junior Apprentice (which really was great).

The Channel 4 version sounds promising though, I'll give it a go at the weekend.

Dex Sawash

Wife did a huge SQUEEE when she saw Liam

Blue Jam

I'm glad to see Tealeaf is back too, his flavour ideas always made me hungry and he's alright for a Man United fan.

Blue Jam

Just noticed one of the junior bakers is called Bakr, brilliant.

QuoteBakr lives with his mum and dad, along with his older brother and two sisters in Derby. After picking up a box of cake mix thinking it had a cake inside seven years ago, Bakr was inspired to start baking.

Awww bless.

Chairman Yang

My support of Vaughan will be conditional on whether he pronounces his name normally or VORG-HAN.

Dex Sawash

Can't understand what Vaughan is saying at all. Unable to determine if he's stuck an R in his name or not.

robotam

Really seemed like Vaughan's mum didn't want to tell her son that his dessert was shite when he was explaining how she threw it in the bin to stop herself from eating it all.
She must have had a word with Prue who gave the same speil about how Vaughan needed to take it away otherwise she would eat the whole thing

Quote from: daf on November 08, 2019, 02:05:44 PM

Wasn't "Zak" already on the normal Bake Off this year? Nothing wrong with a second go at it, I suppose.