Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boris Johnson planning to prorogue parliament [split topic]

Started by jobotic, August 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Nick Robinson claiming Queen could be asked to porogue parliament today.

Get your wanking gloves on Biggy, this is it. The coup is nearly complete.

imitationleather

Dr Trouser

I'm glad we don't have a written constitution, it makes things more exciting.

Will do my HARD BREXIT NOW shop today, just in case.

Paul Calf

Quote from: jobotic on August 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM
Nick Robinson claiming Queen could be asked to porogue parliament today.

Get your wanking gloves on Biggy, this is it. The coup is nearly complete.

He lost interest in this thread weeks ago.

BlodwynPig

Who is ready to pitchfork Parliament? anyone? Coronation Street you say... bigger worries you say... oh, alright then, pass me that noose will ya Joe

Paul Calf

Quote from: thugler on August 28, 2019, 09:33:41 AM
Is that it all fucked if they do this?

I don't know if they can be stopped. Johnson is clearly acting under orders from some cunt. I wonder what's in it for him personally?

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 28, 2019, 09:32:13 AM
He lost interest in this thread weeks ago.

No need to come here and lie anymore with the likes of Cummings in power. Mission accomplished. I'd just like these cunts to come and justify what they've done but cowards never admit responsibility.

imitationleather

pigamus

The idea that the Queen has to be kept out of politics has just gone out the window. If she agrees to this, that's not a neutral act.

imitationleather

Quote from: pigamus on August 28, 2019, 09:43:12 AM
The idea that the Queen has to be kept out of politics has just gone out the window. If she agrees to this, that's not a neutral act.

Should give some pretty good ammo to the argument for getting rid of the Monarchy if it happens. Silver linings.

Paul Calf

Quote from: pigamus on August 28, 2019, 09:43:12 AM

She'll be furious with Johnson. I imagine the next family get-together is going to be a bit awkward.

NoSleep

Quote from: thugler on August 28, 2019, 09:57:30 AM
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/08/what-boris-johnsons-plan-prorogue-parliament-really-means

According to this just another posturing exercise to help build the election narrative.

It's an attempt to create panic to undermine opposition to no-deal. Everybody just needs to stay calm (and be less idiotic/petulant in some instances).

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 28, 2019, 10:06:06 AM
She'll be furious with Johnson. I imagine the next family get-together is going to be a bit awkward.

It is anyway. Pass the pea(do)s Andrew.

thugler

Quote from: NoSleep on August 28, 2019, 10:08:19 AM
It's an attempt to create panic to undermine opposition to no-deal. Everybody just needs to stay calm (and be less idiotic/petulant in some instances).

I think you're right, I just wish the reporting made this stuff clear immediately and didn't pretend it's the end of the line to make it a bigger story.

BritishHobo

Oh but the Queen wore a Europe hat!!!! She must hate Brexit

olliebean

Coming straight after Corbyn has rowed back on the idea of an early no-confidence motion, I wonder if this is a ruse to force him to do it early or he'll miss his chance, and Johnson can then use this to build the narrative of evil Parliament (and evil Corbyn in particular) trying to interfere with him carrying out the Will Of The People.

pigamus

What the Queen really needs to do is say, "Look, whatever the answer to this is, it's got to be found by parliament. You can't have parliament suspended in the middle of all this."

Whether she will or not...

Buelligan

I think it's an interesting move.  As I understand it, if the PM publicly asks the monarch to prorogue, it's a done deal, has already been sounded out and will happen.

It's very odd though, clearly looks very undemocratic, which is not a turn on for any tory waverers in any future election (perhaps there won't be any) and does nothing to keep those convinced onside (they are already convinced to vote for the cunts).  At the same time though, it'll be setting a squib under the arses of tories like Hammond and Grieve, who will be motivated at last to stand with those opposing the Government, making a NC vote likely to succeed if only Swinson can be reined in.

Fambo Number Mive

The Leave.EU twitter account is very excited by "Brexiteer Boris" suspending the elected parliament.

Ironic, as someone pointed out on Twitter, that Leavers complain about "unelected bureaucrats" yet want to suspend the elected parliament.

The line by Leavers is "It is perfectly normal for a PM to ask the Queen to suspend parliament before a Queen's Speech". Why should Parliament be suspended before a Queen's Speech?

Buelligan

It almost makes me wonder if Johnson is trying to snatch failure from the jaws of victory and be "forced" not to leave on no deal because he knows it'll mean that he goes down in history as the cunt that finally fucked the UK and he's scared.  I don't know, it's a thought.

gib

Quote from: Buelligan on August 28, 2019, 10:30:03 AM
It almost makes me wonder if Johnson is trying to snatch failure from the jaws of victory and be "forced" not to leave on no deal because he knows it'll mean that he goes down in history as the cunt that finally fucked the UK and he's scared.  I don't know, it's a thought.

Yes. As i understand it, Cummings is on board for one reason and that's to deliver a Johnson victory at the next GE. The story presented to us clearly isn't the one that's really playing out.

biggytitbo

My only contribution to this thread:

A) This doesn't stop Parliament stopping a 'no deal' Brexit, as there are still several sitting days before October the 31st even with the prorogation. They can bring Johnson down with a vote of no confidence next Tuesday if they want and then try it again as many times as they like.
B) It's not a 'coup', it's normal constitutional procedure for a Queen's speech.
C) MP's themselves made a law saying we leave the EU on the 31st of October with the legal default as 'no deal'. They then spent months wasting everyone's time by repeatedly voting against the EU's withdrawal agreement, and against literally every other form of compromise brexit. The result of that is we leave with no deal, not we don't leave at all.

Paul Calf

Sp basically exactly the same message as the current far-right Tory government. Thanks bigs, but we knew that'd be the case anyway.

B) It's not a 'coup', it's normal constitutional procedure for a Queen's speech.

I've read that a lot from Tories this morning. What none of them seem to be able to explain is why there needs to be a Queen's speech at this precise moment and not, say, in November.