Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:04:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boris Johnson planning to prorogue parliament [split topic]

Started by jobotic, August 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Because the country is irredeemably infected with racists, and the best thing to do would be to explode the whole place.

danielreal2k

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 11, 2019, 02:42:56 PM
the queen is a gullible old fool. time for her to retire, and for JEREMY CORBYN to take her place!!!!

Replies From View

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 11, 2019, 01:01:50 PM
With less-than-great policies towards non-whites (although Johnson never sat behind a machine gun mowing them down, as far as I can tell).

It'll be a water cannon to begin with.

Replies From View

Quote from: popcorn on September 11, 2019, 02:26:51 PM
I personally would never lie to the queen.

It doesn't stop being a lie just because your cock is out.

lipsink

Some MPs have tweeted photos of themselves sitting in the House of Commons.

From the Guardian:
QuoteThe chair of the commons' Brexit select committee, Labour MP Hilary Benn, the Liberal Democrat leader, Jo Swinson, and Labour's Meg Hillier, who is standing to replace John Bercow as Speaker, were among those at the gathering outside Westminster to say they will continue to work throughout suspension, even though they cannot hold any debates or speak in the Commons' chamber.

What is point?

Chuka is there too! And Mike Gapes!!!!!

DrGreggles

This is like the time I went in to work on a bank holiday.
And just as productive.

Kalabi

I reckon it's going to be like when those kids smashed up that railway exhibit

Chairman Yang

Well the alternative would be preparing for a general election with front line activists, or working on constituency matters in case of a failed extension... putting public pressure on Boris Johnson to act in line with the law... pfff... you know, boring shit.

This'll trend for an afternoon so let's do that instead.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: lipsink on September 11, 2019, 04:25:17 PM
Some MPs have tweeted photos of themselves sitting in the House of Commons.

From the Guardian:

Let's face it, you'd have a wank in there wouldn't you?

lipsink

Quote from: Chairman Yang on September 11, 2019, 04:40:37 PM
Well the alternative would be preparing for a general election with front line activists, or working on constituency matters in case of a failed extension... putting public pressure on Boris Johnson to act in line with the law... pfff... you know, boring shit.

This'll trend for an afternoon so let's do that instead.

Chuka and Swinson are all about the fucking trending, aren't they?

Cuellar

You know what they love?

The optics. They love a bit of the optics.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The above optics are just 'look how no one is joining me as I waste my time making a point that means nothing unless 100 other MPs were doing it, aren't I a shit cack'

pancreas

we need some goddamn better optics around here amirite

Paul Calf

BlodwynPig

olliebean

Quote from: jobotic on September 11, 2019, 12:17:22 PM
No 10 Spokesperson - the courts are biased.

Pure and deliberate Trump tactics.

It's true, though. Outrageous bias against law breakers.

EOLAN

Andrea Leadsom stating that they won't publish Yellowhammer for the public because it would cause too much concern and be scary for people.
Andrea there; proudly fighting against Project Fear.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 11, 2019, 02:51:03 PMWe only got an EU referendum in the first place because David Cameron was afraid the Tories would lose seats to UKIP, and then when they won fuck-all he still had to go ahead an implement the referendum as promised.

To be fair, it could well be argued that the very reason UKIP won fuck-all was indeed because of the referendum promise.

(Doesn't mean he should have made it, though.)

I was just listening to Evan 'Chuckles' Davis on R4. He had on two former Supreme Supreme High Supreme, we fucking mean it Court judges.  They were both very measured about the prospects of the appeal- couldn't possibly comment without seeing the arguments etc, as you'd expect. But they were both very happy to say something like "well I don't think anyone is in doubt about the Government's intention in proroguing Parliament" i.e. to expedite its Brexit agenda.
They did both seem to indicate they might agree with the English court's earlier decision that despite intention, it is a political matter, and not a proper one for a court to decide.

pigamus

I was surprised how strong Number 10's condemnation of Farage was - saying he wasn't a fit and proper person to be in government. I know there's no love lost between Cummings and Farage, but they're burning their bridges a bit early, aren't they?

danielreal2k

Quote from: pigamus on September 11, 2019, 06:09:35 PM
I was surprised how strong Number 10's condemnation of Farage was - saying he wasn't a fit and proper person to be in government. I know there's no love lost between Cummings and Farage, but they're burning their bridges a bit early, aren't they?

That could be 10D Chess though, they hate each other because they are doing a deal to align to hate each other in order to join up to pretend to like each other so the public think they do but they don't

mothman

Quote from: danielreal2k on September 11, 2019, 06:16:22 PM
That could be 10D Chess though, they hate each other because they are doing a deal to align to hate each other in order to join up to pretend to like each other so the public think they do but they don't

Optics, baby!

greencalx

My feeling is that the court question is one of competency rather than evidence. The unusual length of the prorogation suggests an unusual cause, and "a Queen's speech" is as usual a cause as could be imagined. If the standard of proof is balance of probabilities, it doesn't take long to construct a probable motive. So I think the interesting thing to look out for in the Scottish verdict when it is published in full is anything that justifies the courts competency to make a judgement.

jobotic

Enjoyed the Guardian's take on The People's Prime Minister of Hearts' Facebook PMQs

QuoteBut this effort made Johnson look like some second-rate despot holed up in his bunker, terrified of an actual encounter with his people.

Puce Moment

Quote from: pigamus on September 11, 2019, 06:09:35 PMI was surprised how strong Number 10's condemnation of Farage was - saying he wasn't a fit and proper person to be in government. I know there's no love lost between Cummings and Farage, but they're burning their bridges a bit early, aren't they?

I'm stunned and moderately relieved by the Tories short-sighted hubris on this. It could all be bully-bullshit to lull us into a false sense of security, with deals being done secretly, but they are surely too stupid for that.

Quote from: greencalx on September 11, 2019, 06:42:16 PM
My feeling is that the court question is one of competency rather than evidence. The unusual length of the prorogation suggests an unusual cause, and "a Queen's speech" is as usual a cause as could be imagined. If the standard of proof is balance of probabilities, it doesn't take long to construct a probable motive. So I think the interesting thing to look out for in the Scottish verdict when it is published in full is anything that justifies the courts competency to make a judgement.
You sound like you know a lot more than me about this (which isn't remotely hard, given my ignorance). Do you know if the Supreme Court will be solely judging the validity of the Scottish Court's decision, rather than reaching its own position?