Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boris Johnson planning to prorogue parliament [split topic]

Started by jobotic, August 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

I thought the Queen only talked on Christmas Day anyway?

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 28, 2019, 10:40:56 AM
My only contribution to this thread:

A) This doesn't stop Parliament stopping a 'no deal' Brexit, as there are still several sitting days before October the 31st even with the prorogation. They can bring Johnson down with a vote of no confidence next Tuesday if they want and then try it again as many times as they like.
B) It's not a 'coup', it's normal constitutional procedure for a Queen's speech.
C) MP's themselves made a law saying we leave the EU on the 31st of October with the legal default as 'no deal'. They then spent months wasting everyone's time by repeatedly voting against the EU's withdrawal agreement, and against literally every other form of compromise brexit. The result of that is we leave with no deal, not we don't leave at all.

As I understand it, if the monarch prorogues parliament, any legislation that's been passed but has not yet received royal assent, falls into abeyance and is then lost.  Meaning that even if there are "several sitting days" before 31 October even following prorogation, that is no guarantee that votes won will become law.  In fact it's almost a guarantee that they won't.  Hardly the much vaunted return of sovereignty and the upholding of democracy is it?

Paul Calf

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Will of the people

Apparently some people's idea of democracy is that if people make a decision and government still haven't implemented it 3 years later then democracy is suspended and a single interpretation of that choice made years earlier forced through regardless of consequences.

While the initial vote was evidently democracy, even if it was flawed, these moves sully and discredit it with almost equal effect, undermining the authority of the referendum result.

Buelligan

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 28, 2019, 10:57:46 AM
Will of the people

Apparently some people's idea of democracy is that if people make a decision and government still haven't implemented it 3 years later then democracy is suspended and the choice made years earlier forced through regardless.

While the initial vote was evidently democracy, even if it was flawed, these moves sully and discredit it with almost equal effect, undermining the authority of the referendum result.

Except, of course, the Will of the People did not express a desire to leave the EU with no deal.  There is no mandate for that at all.

sponk

Quote from: jobotic on August 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM
Nick Robinson claiming Queen could be asked to porogue parliament today.

Get your wanking gloves on Biggy, this is it. The coup is nearly complete.

Why are you so obsessed with Biggy? He's not the only Brexit supporter, and nobody here takes him seriously on the issue. You're just heaping abuse onto an easy target.

Fambo Number Mive

Lots of FBPE people on Twitter calling for a general strike.

jobotic

Quote from: sponk on August 28, 2019, 11:01:38 AM
Why are you so obsessed with Biggy? He's not the only Brexit supporter, and nobody here takes him seriously on the issue. You're just heaping abuse onto an easy target.

Because of his revolting habit of accusing those who see what as been happening as having mental illnesses.

At least I don't sexually harass him "Sponk".

KennyMonster

Anyone got a screen grab of Emma Kennedy's tweet?

It's been deleted now.

Buelligan

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 28, 2019, 11:01:57 AM
Lots of FBPE people on Twitter calling for a general strike.

I think that's the absolute minimum that should be done.

And where are all those guarantees for the EU citizens in the UK and the UK citizens in the EU now? 

Over 4 million people, people who've almost entirely had no voice in this at all, about to be summarily stripped of their rights, made homeless, jobless, hopeless. 

Paul Calf

https://twitter.com/peston/status/1166638377397039105?s=21

QuoteThis battle between government and MPs, over how and whether we Brexit, is now massively, bloodily raging. A number 10 source told me: "If MPs pass a no confidence vote next week, then we'll stay in No10, we won't recommend any alternative government,...

Open tyranny and disregard for parliament. If you support this, you are supporting dictatorship.

madhair60

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 28, 2019, 11:04:46 AM
Anyone got a screen grab of Emma Kennedy's tweet?

It's been deleted now.

Yeah I want to see what that fucking idiot has been blithering about now

Jerzy Bondov

I didn't get a grab but she said we should all write a letter to the Queen

Barry Admin

She said something like "Quick. Everyone write a letter to the Queen. She's in Balmoral today."

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 28, 2019, 11:10:28 AM

Yeah, something like

"Everyone write to The Queen.  Do it now!  She's at Balmoral."

EDIT: Hah, whoops!

Buelligan

Yep if you google emma kennedy twitter write to queen balmoral, you can still see it on the results page but can't visit the link.

Fambo Number Mive

I think a lot of Leavers want Johnson to push things as far as possible. They only care about democracy when it benefits them.

I mean look at the replies to Peston's tweet.

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 28, 2019, 11:07:17 AM
https://twitter.com/peston/status/1166638377397039105?s=21

Open tyranny and disregard for parliament. If you support this, you are supporting dictatorship.

Sounds like someone's got Brexit Derangement Syndrome.

Fambo Number Mive

Hammond and Grieve are both sounding angry about this but will they actually do anything?

thugler

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 28, 2019, 11:19:23 AM
Hammond and Grieve are both sounding angry about this but will they actually do anything?

They'll vote for legislation to stop no deal and ask for extension and general election.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Buelligan on August 28, 2019, 11:13:25 AM
Yep if you google emma kennedy twitter write to queen balmoral, you can still see it on the results page but can't visit the link.

So, just for the record, while we still can:

Quote from: Emma Kennedy on TwitterEveryone write to the Queen. Do it today. She's in Balmoral.

Dr Rock

Dear The Queen'll Fix It, Balmoral, Scotland (pls check).

Please do not prologue parliament today.

Thanks!

Dr Rock

ps. Loved you at Live Aid x

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 28, 2019, 11:19:23 AM
Isn't a problem that they (and others) when faced with the possibility that doing "anything" to prevent this might put Corbyn in #10 for even five minutes, they'll do fuck all instead?

pigamus

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 28, 2019, 11:10:28 AM

Is it that stupid an idea?

bgmnts

The Porogues ft Kirsty Maccoll

Fairytale of New Fascist Opportunities

Fambo Number Mive

Quote"This is very good news," says Guido Fawkes journalist Tom Harwood.

"It is what Brexiteers up and down the country have been hoping for," he says.

"We've got a PM who is on our side and prepared to take on the coalition of politicians trying to frustrate the will of the people."

bgmnts

Guido Fawkes says:

I'm a cunt
I'm a cunt
I'm a cunt
I'm a cunt
I'm a cunt

Replies From View

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 28, 2019, 10:49:42 AM
B) It's not a 'coup', it's normal constitutional procedure for a Queen's speech.

I've read that a lot from Tories this morning. What none of them seem to be able to explain is why there needs to be a Queen's speech at this precise moment and not, say, in November.

Or just at Christmas.  I was in a restaurant yesterday and it had posters around the place encouraging everyone to book their Christmas meals already.  Wait your turn, Christmas and Queen's Speeches!  We don't need you yet!