Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:29:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boris Johnson planning to prorogue parliament [split topic]

Started by jobotic, August 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 28, 2019, 11:30:17 AM
Isn't a problem that they (and others) when faced with the possibility that doing "anything" to prevent this might put Corbyn in #10 for even five minutes, they'll do fuck all instead?

Thing is, a VONC isn't really the best way to take no deal off the table.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1166647168368660481

""If MPs pass a no confidence vote next week then we won't resign. We won't recommend another government, we'll dissolve parliament, call an election between November 1-5 and there'll be zero chance of Grieve legislation," says senior official."

Amended legislation is the absolute best way to stop it. The Cooper-Letwin bill was formulated and passed into law in mere days, for instance.

Replies From View

Quote from: honeychile on August 28, 2019, 11:41:49 AM
yes

It isn't a stupid idea because if the Queen suddenly has loads of mail to open she may never get to Boris Johnson's letter.

phantom_power

Quote from: pigamus on August 28, 2019, 11:43:53 AM
Why?

In part because the queen effectively has no say in it and will take the advice of her ministers in order to remain apolitical, but also because it is fucking stupid

honeychile

Quote from: pigamus on August 28, 2019, 11:43:53 AM
Why?

Cos she couldn't care less and for the amount of energy expended on it we cold actually engage in more serious action, not something which could be dismissed as a bunch of bleating losers and which Johnsonites could easily respond to with a similar campaign of their own.

pigamus

I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference, but I don't think it's a particularly stupid idea in and of itself. It's better than doing nothing.

Paul Calf

Quote from: pigamus on August 28, 2019, 11:59:05 AM
I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference, but I don't think it's a particularly stupid idea in and of itself. It's better than doing nothing.

It's roughly equivalent to doing nothing with the added indignity that you're begging the fucking queen to save you from privilege-soaked members of her own family.

Buelligan

Emma Kennedy's being an arsehole again.

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 28, 2019, 12:01:38 PM
It's roughly equivalent to doing nothing with the added indignity that you're begging the fucking queen to save you from privilege-soaked members of her own family.

Well, yes and no.  I think, if it were possible, putting the monarch publicly into the position that she was siding politically with Johnson against huge (and it would need to be really huge) numbers of her loyal subjects.  That would be no bad thing.

It would draw a simple and clear picture, even for our grannies, on just how this new sovereignty and democracy works.

I don't say it's the answer but I do agree with pigamus, for people who otherwise will do nothing, it's something.  And I say that as a person who thinks Emma Kennedy is a giant anus.  Obvs, that goes for herM and Johnson too.

Piggyoioi

Queen's to busy protecting her rapist son to do anything else atm. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

Buelligan

Yes, I had noticed how happily these two events had coincided.

It's her favourite son and all.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 28, 2019, 11:46:41 AM
Amended legislation is the absolute best way to stop it. The Cooper-Letwin bill was formulated and passed into law in mere days, for instance.

The Cooper-Letwin bill didn't actually do anything (not least because May had already decided to ask for an extension) because all MP's could do was mandate May asked for an extension, it couldn't force her to accept one. That negotiation is between the prime minister and the EU, parliament plays no role in it and it'll be the same case with Johnson.

If MPs want to stop 'no deal' they need to stop being so abjectly shit and either vote for a deal or vote to revoke.

pigamus

Quote from: Piggyoioi on August 28, 2019, 12:16:18 PM
Queen's to busy protecting her rapist son to do anything else atm. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

So she could do with a distraction?

Buelligan

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on August 28, 2019, 11:39:31 AM
The Porogues ft Kirsty Maccoll

Fairytale of New Fascist Opportunities

The Fairytale Of A Cunt Who Was Actually Born In New York

Fambo Number Mive

Worth writing to our MPs about this? I imagine most Labour, Green, Independent and Lib Dem MPs are opposed anyway, but still.

Funcrusher

olliebean

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 28, 2019, 10:40:56 AMB) It's not a 'coup', it's normal constitutional procedure for a Queen's speech.

Not to take over a month for it, it fucking isn't. A week is normal, two at a pinch. Over a month is pretty much unprecedented.

thugler

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 28, 2019, 12:17:54 PM
The Cooper-Letwin bill didn't actually do anything (not least because May had already decided to ask for an extension) because all MP's could do was mandate May asked for an extension, it couldn't force her to accept one. That negotiation is between the prime minister and the EU, parliament plays no role in it and it'll be the same case with Johnson.

If MPs want to stop 'no deal' they need to stop being so abjectly shit and either vote for a deal or vote to revoke.

Rubbish. May decided to do that in the knowledge that she was going to lose the vote. I doubt very much that Johnson will attempt to ignore a bill that is passed. What they can do is ensure that if no deal is reached parliament get a say in what happens. They will undoubtedly choose election/extension.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteWe have filed a motion asking the Court of Session to suspend the Prime Minister's request that Parliament be suspended.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1166658605182902272

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: olliebean on August 28, 2019, 12:31:12 PM
Not to take over a month for it, it fucking isn't. A week is normal, two at a pinch. Over a month is pretty much unprecedented.

Exactly

QuoteNo period of prorogation has lasted longer than 20 or so days in modern times i.e. since 1979 at least. It is normally at most a week and only sometimes a fortnight or more.

https://twitter.com/woodstockjag/status/1166631979732914178

Commons Library Clerk tweeting there.

sponk

The starkness of the polarisation is pretty terrifying. I'm not naive enough to think the country was united before Brexit, but just browsing Twitter everyone seems dead certain the other side is fascist or criminal. No matter what happens there will be many angry people who feel fucked over. I'm amazed that there haven't been any Brexit related murders since Jo Cox

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm up for a civil war but tbh just FYI Remainers are gonna get gassed bad time

imitationleather

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 28, 2019, 12:42:08 PM
I'm up for a civil war but tbh just FYI Remainers are gonna get gassed bad time

No way. We'll have support from the EU Army.

Alberon

Whether we stay or go the United Kingdom is finished now. It'll only be a matter of a few years before it starts to break up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Alberon

That's Cameron's legacy. Not Brexit, but the breakup of the UK.

Buelligan

Quote from: Alberon on August 28, 2019, 12:45:03 PM
Whether we stay or go the United Kingdom is finished now. It'll only be a matter of a few years before it starts to break up.

I think that's correct. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSGp4WIBsQ

Fambo Number Mive

Quote"We could see a Brexit coming without agreement. Here, it is moreover a Brexit without debate that looms. What disease does British democracy suffer from for fear of debate before making one of the most important decisions in its history?"

Nathalie Loiseau, a French member of the European Parliament and France's former Europe minister

Dex Sawash

I really don't want to learn a new word today but thanks anyway