Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boris Johnson planning to prorogue parliament [split topic]

Started by jobotic, August 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Ooh, there's a petition.
That'll make all the difference...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pigamus on August 28, 2019, 12:20:04 PM
So she could do with a distraction?

what if she carks it today, what then? Boris takes on the role of temporary Caesar?

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 28, 2019, 12:42:08 PM
I'm up for a civil war but tbh just FYI Remainers are gonna get gassed bad time

Given the huge age gap between leavers and remainers not sure about that... (hint - leavers are at the end not traditionally coveted for combat operations)

chveik

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 28, 2019, 12:50:16 PM
Nathalie Loiseau, a French member of the European Parliament and France's former Europe minister

bit rich coming from someone whose party is dedicated to destroy the remains of the french republic.

jobotic

Don't forget Johnson will have the Gammon Army on his side.

Or more to the point, the army. And the police.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 28, 2019, 12:36:52 PM
We have filed a motion asking the Court of Session to suspend the Prime Minister's request that Parliament be suspended.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1166658605182902272

Look guys, you've had your fun with the sectioning. There's going to be no more sectioning today.

Dex Sawash

Are we sure it isn't pirogue? I know what a pirogue are. Get in pirogue, parliament.

Fambo Number Mive

Lucy Allen MP's excuse

QuoteQueen's Speech is long over due. It's time for Government to get to work on a domestic agenda. Brexit has been consuming everything. That must stop.

So Johnson's government can't get to work on a "domestic agenda" until Brexit happens? That's ridiculous.

DUP have come out in favour of Johnson proroguing Parliament. Might want to drop "democratic" from their name.

Endicott

Kuntsberg on R4 just called the opposition 'the new rebel alliance'. Grave.

bgmnts

Can you imagine if they had the cheek to say the reason everything has gone ultra fucked during their ten year rule was because of Brexit choking government?

That would be VERY Tory.

TrenterPercenter

He isn't going to prorogue parliament.

He is just using it as a springboard to a GE.

(Probably)

baptist

Partly maybe, but it will also focus minds in the EU to come up with a more acceptable temporary arrangement ('withdrawal deal') until a free trade agreement is put in place.

Blue Jam

A protest is planned for 5.30pm today, at College Green next to the Houses of Parliament.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 28, 2019, 10:40:56 AM
My only contribution to this thread:

biggy is busy these days fighting agents in the Matrix.

Please would everyone stop wasting his time with worldly queries and just shower him with the reverence he now deserves.

Paul Calf

Quote from: baptist on August 28, 2019, 01:39:26 PM
Partly maybe, but it will also focus minds in the EU to come up with a more acceptable temporary arrangement ('withdrawal deal') until a free trade agreement is put in place.

Oh, Christ...

Paul Calf

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 28, 2019, 01:39:41 PM
A protest is planned for 5.30pm today, at College Green next to the Houses of Parliament.

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 28, 2019, 12:28:09 PM
Petition against proroguing

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/269157

Oh good. More of the same shit that's already failed. It's a handy timesaver to have pre-failed strategies I suppose.

idunnosomename

Jo Swingeing there saying how wrong it is for Boris to put the queen in such a position

are brave queenie

sponk

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 28, 2019, 01:41:33 PM
Oh good. More of the same shit that's already failed. It's a handy timesaver to have pre-failed strategies I suppose.

Who says it's failed? They haven't achieved their exactly stated aims but maybe things would have been even worse without such action. If you start a business with £10,000 and say you're aiming for a billion, you haven't exactly failed if you only earn £100,000

Paul Calf

Quote from: sponk on August 28, 2019, 01:44:58 PM
Who says it's failed? They haven't achieved their exactly stated aims but maybe things would have been even worse without such action. If you start a business with £10,000 and say you're aiming for a billion, you haven't exactly failed if you only earn £100,000

What?

EDIT: Seriously, is this satire? What?

thugler

Protest does work, it may not do everything all at once but it exerts pressure. Moaning about protests is fucking lame.

Dr Trouser

Jo Swinson is a fucking useless MP and out of her depth intellectually. If HARD BREXIT causes her to palpitate and have a fit then I'll put up with years of fighting over rat corpses for dinner. Oh and John Bercow as well.

sponk

Quote from: thugler on August 28, 2019, 01:48:49 PM
Protest does work, it may not do everything all at once but it exerts pressure. Moaning about protests is fucking lame.

Those stupid hippies should have stopped protesting Nam in 64 when the war didn't immediately end.

Paul Calf

Quote from: thugler on August 28, 2019, 01:48:49 PM

Define 'work'; What are the great successes attributable to protest in, say, the last 20 years?

Blue Jam

I bet BoJo wishes he could use that water cannon now... In any case I wouldn't be surprised if the response to any large-scale protests gets very ugly.

More looting wouldn't surprise me either.

Big Mclargehuge

How many more peaceful protests do we have to do before we can start stringing up the traitors? I only ask as i've been saving rope and I dont want to waste any on a day where the revolution doesnt start and risk incurring a £10 fine...

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe idea of proroguing Parliament was debated during the Conservative leadership race - which Boris Johnson eventually won, of course.

During the course of the campaign, senior Tory figures expressed opposition to the idea of proroguing Parliament to force through no deal.

At his own leadership campaign launch on 10 June, Matt Hancock, who has stayed on in Mr Johnson's cabinet as health secretary, said the idea "goes against everything that those men who waded onto those beaches [on D-Day] fought and died for - and I will not have it."

Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd told BBC News that it was "outrageous to consider proroguing Parliament".

While Culture Secretary Nicky Morgan said "it would lead to a constitutional crisis."

Are these ministers going to resign in protest at the very least?

Fambo Number Mive

It does show the level of opposition and also shows people they are not alone. Has a petition ever had over 200,000 signatures in one afternoon?

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 28, 2019, 02:01:54 PM
It does show the level of opposition and also shows people they are not alone. Has a petition ever had over 200,000 signatures in one afternoon?

That one to revoke A50 that got over 6 million signatures must have done, surely? According to Sky News, "At one point, nearly 2,000 signatures were being added every minute and it was so popular that the website crashed."

Wouldn't be surprised if this one rivals it; seems to be growing at close to 1500/minute currently and lots of people won't have heard of it yet.