Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Between Two Ferns - The Movie [split topic]

Started by privatefriend, August 28, 2019, 02:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

privatefriend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_Two_Ferns:_The_Movie

Zach Galifianakis "dreamed of becoming a star. But when Will Ferrell discovered his public access TV show Between Two Ferns and uploaded it to Funny Or Die, Zach became a viral laughing stock. Now Zach and his crew are taking a road trip to complete a series of high-profile celebrity interviews and restore his reputation."

Looking forward to this.

Shit Good Nose

That's basically just The Campaign again, isn't it?

(I like Galifianakis, but can't fucking stand Ferrell)

EOLAN

Quote from: privatefriend on August 28, 2019, 02:55:23 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_Two_Ferns:_The_Movie

Zach Galifianakis "dreamed of becoming a star. But when Will Ferrell discovered his public access TV show Between Two Ferns and uploaded it to Funny Or Die, Zach became a viral laughing stock. Now Zach and his crew are taking a road trip to complete a series of high-profile celebrity interviews and restore his reputation."

Looking forward to this.

Ah Damn. I was hoping Scotty Aukerman would be taking the Will Ferrell role. Well at least he is still co-writing and directing. Suppose I can't give out that my avatar is in it either.

up_the_hampipe

All of Between Two Ferns has been hilarious so I have no doubts about this. This is where Galifianakis truly shines. I'd like a Netflix stand-up special from him too, thanks.

This isn't the first extended Between Two Ferns thing they've done. A few years ago there was a special on Comedy Central called "Between Two Ferns: A Fairytale of New York" where he interviewed Richard Branson, Tina Fey and Jon Stewart. I can't find the full thing online anymore, but the fake blooper reel at the end still exists https://youtu.be/M7dIMOFmOEA

sevendaughters

felt like it got a bit knowing before Obama, can't see this being much.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 28, 2019, 05:00:24 PM
felt like it got a bit knowing before Obama

In what way?

Seems like one of the few ongoing viral web shows that never lost sight of itself.

Twed

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 28, 2019, 05:00:24 PM
felt like it got a bit knowing before Obama, can't see this being much.
Same. It was good when it was slapdash and they probably thought it wouldn't catch on. Then it became a success and they fucked it.

a peepee tipi

I remember there being a lot of fuss about the Obama one at the time, understandably so, but I agree with hampipers and Zach and the Auks have earned more than enough faith. That said, I can't help but feel a bit cautious about this too.

There really isn't any point to this post

madhair60

This looks witless. hahaha famus man funy name he sed it rong LOL

garbage

up_the_hampipe

Trailer isn't great (Netflix really need to fucking sort out their comedy trailers), but it will be good.

Puce Moment

Started feeling hopeful about this, but the gag in the diner made me wince. Ironic perhaps, but it's hard to tell. This is a very incongruous thing to do with something that relies on seeming shittily made on Youtube.

C_Larence

Quote from: madhair60 on September 06, 2019, 09:42:10 AM
This looks witless. hahaha famus man funy name he sed it rong LOL

garbage

the only person who can get away with this, repeatedly, is tim heidecker

Twed

QDRPHNC

Bennett Brauer

Maybe some parallels to be drawn with Jiminy Glick in Lalawood?  Not much good as a film, but plenty of funny bits.

privatefriend

This is out now. Thought it was funny, very silly. Avoid the trailer and just watch it. Lauren Lapkus shines.

Mobius

up_the_hampipe

I enjoyed it a lot. Some great lines, some stupid nonsense, just what was expected. The outtakes at the end were a nice wee treat.

Shit Good Nose

Is Will Ferrell in it much?  Cos that's a bit of a deal breaker for me.

privatefriend

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 21, 2019, 03:46:28 PM
Is Will Ferrell in it much?  Cos that's a bit of a deal breaker for me.

At the very start/end from what I can remember. The rest is a kind of dumb road movie.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: privatefriend on September 21, 2019, 06:03:10 PM
At the very start/end from what I can remember. The rest is a kind of dumb road movie.

I'd say it's about a total of six or seven minutes, certainly not enough to ruin the film if you're not a fan, and I liked it a fair bit. I mean it's not exactly filled with substance or depth but it's a fun, breezy affair that made me laugh a fair amount and I'm glad I watched it. 7.4/10

up_the_hampipe

BONUS CONTENT ALERT: Full interview with Paul Rudd here, plenty of good gagz https://youtu.be/dLEHlTzDdaQ

Noodle Lizard

The meta conceit of this really doesn't work.  Aside from the usual mockumentary pitfalls, and aside from the fact that it's "him from The Hangover" playing a public access nobody with the same name as "him from The Hangover", it's not quite clear whether or not he knows his interviews are abrasive and rude, when they're clearly written to be that way and you see the rest of his crew reacting with laughter more often than Gervais "awkward glances to camera".  The character seems more self-aware than he'd have to be if he were completely clueless about how his interviews come across.

All that aside - yeah, watchable mid-tier comedy.

rasta-spouse

This movie is the first I've really seen of BTF. Nice to see Aukerman's name on the credits...didn't know he was involved.

I enjoyed the interview bits. And was convinced the guests weren't in on it. But was proved wrong by the time the end titles roll and the outtakes are shown. Steinfeld's and Larson's reactions seemed very convincing.

Damn, I was wrong about the guests not being in on it with Philomena Cunk too. 

up_the_hampipe

Netflix have been dropping multiple "full" interviews with various famous folks from the movie. They have been a mixed bag, but the latest one with Adam Scott is enjoyably mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKgq2RdBBuw