Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill Burr - Paper Tiger

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 29, 2019, 07:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

New special. September 10th. Recorded at Royal Albert Hall. I was there. Hehe. Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c078AVNTjM4

c

I was too. I'm wondering if we'll see that first 20 minutes uncut on Netflix? Might they tone it down in the edit? 

EDIT: Just watched the edit. Maybe we will... (and also maybe it's not as big of a deal as I remember)

Piggyoioi

Been looking forward to this, was it any good? His last special was a bit of a let down for me and this trailer hasn't got my hopes up, but i'm not gunna base any hopes on a dodgy teaser.

up_the_hampipe

It was a really good show, but as mentioned above, his opening 20 minutes could get him in some trouble. Although after Chappelle this week, Burr might slip under the radar.

magval

Bennett Brauer

I'm about to cancel Netflix because I'm boracic, but was holding out for this after he said it was imminent on his podcast. It's going to be good and I can't wait.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: magval on August 30, 2019, 12:26:17 AM
Ach just tell us what he said

Some hints here https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=72121.0

I don't think he himself would ask for anything contentious to be taken out. Other interested parties might though.

c

Quote from: Piggyoioi on August 29, 2019, 11:03:34 PM
Been looking forward to this, was it any good? His last special was a bit of a let down for me and this trailer hasn't got my hopes up, but i'm not gunna base any hopes on a dodgy teaser.

I thought Walk Your Way Out was terrible. This one felt loads better (hard to judge in a way though as sets are often funnier when you're there, perhaps because you're swept away with the crowd).

MortSahlFan

I've liked all of his specials, but "Walk Your Way Out" was my least favorite. Did having a family calm him down a bit? Anyway, I don't look forward to much, but it's been a good week with Chappelle and now Bill - just heard it on the MMP, and glad to see it up here.

Very cool to the folks who were there!

Noodle Lizard

This is out now.  I didn't love it, probably hit about the same as Walk Your Way Out for me.  The bits against SJW/feminist stuff fell really flat - not logical enough to be intriguing, but not funny enough for that not to matter.  It felt bizarrely repetitive too, to the point where I wondered whether he was reusing material for a British crowd.  Maybe it's because I listen to his podcast occasionally and a lot of the same things have been brought up there.

up_the_hampipe

It's definitely better than Walk Your Way Out, but yeah, listening to the podcast regularly will ruin any surprise for a lot of the material. There are a lot of great bits, although I'm not sure what has made the cut, he mentioned on Joe Rogan's podcast that he had to cut the "support the troops" bit as he felt it wasn't working, which is a shame because it seemed to work well.

Mr Faineant

It's all funny material, but I've heard all of it before, multiple times, on multiple platforms.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 10, 2019, 10:56:01 AM
It's definitely better than Walk Your Way Out, but yeah, listening to the podcast regularly will ruin any surprise for a lot of the material. There are a lot of great bits, although I'm not sure what has made the cut, he mentioned on Joe Rogan's podcast that he had to cut the "support the troops" bit as he felt it wasn't working, which is a shame because it seemed to work well.
I was just going to say this. I knew a lot of the stories. Nia, Cleo, etc etc, even the doll. But it was still good. Not many laugh out loud moments, but he said some things that needed to be said about men/women, and "Why am I like this?"

Twit 2

I dip in an out of Bill Burr (ooh-er) and haven't heard any of the material before. Laughing continuously so it's a thumbs up (ooh-er) from me.

oy vey

This one is more solid than WYWO but I still prefer the podcast. Love me some Billdoe anyhoo.

Terryfuckwit

Bennett Brauer

I thought it was superb, certainly better than his previous two. The only misjudged bit was the Hawking material where the momentum dropped noticeably, but it was only two minutes.

He seemed more nervous than usual at one or two points - you could tell how much it meant to him to perform there, and he was noticeably emotional (mostly suppressed, obviously) at the end.

buntyman

It was patchy but I enjoyed it. I liked his description of himself as being like a shitty old building that's had scaffolding around it for 6 years.

Piggyoioi

Watched half of this last night, decent, laughed a few times which is already way more than Chappelle's special.

NJ Uncut

Liked it and laughed, though it's definitely in that box "stuff I can laugh at as a joke and a concept" rather than, and I see this a bit with Burr fans, "stuff I think myself and haha it's right haha I laugh at recognition"

That's all I want though? Comedy, yknow? Think he is the best "big established" stand up going today (Stanhope is on a downward slide, CK is done, Stewart Lee is ace but not as big, rest can get in bin)

Like the Chappelle show - which was less amusing but still decent - as comedy, fine. Taken as more, naw

Stopped after 15 mins does it get any better?

Hur durr metoo went too far hur durr gender neutral hur durr get back in the kitchen hur durr people are offended about everything, PC gone mad Stew

Was exactly what I imagine Ricky Gervais' latest stand up content is (cant even bare to hate watch it)

chveik

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on September 12, 2019, 10:23:51 PM
Stopped after 15 mins does it get any better?

I couldn't say, I did the same thing. it's terrible.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 12, 2019, 05:36:41 PM
Liked it and laughed, though it's definitely in that box "stuff I can laugh at as a joke and a concept" rather than, and I see this a bit with Burr fans, "stuff I think myself and haha it's right haha I laugh at recognition"

That's all I want though? Comedy, yknow? Think he is the best "big established" stand up going today (Stanhope is on a downward slide, CK is done, Stewart Lee is ace but not as big, rest can get in bin)

Like the Chappelle show - which was less amusing but still decent - as comedy, fine. Taken as more, naw

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it too.  I find Burr funny - but I don't agree with his take / view on the world.  He's an American Conservative - not too much to love there.  His famous Schwarzenegger bit sums it up for me - it's seven or eight minutes where I laugh like a drain, but agree with almost no part of the premise; that we cannot judge those who are seen to achieve high status or office because we don't understand their lives, nor could we do it ourselves.  Nor does achieving power in a country not of their birth do much for me - it's something achieved by Stalin, Hitler & Napoleon, and I'm pretty sure I can criticise them.  Truth be told, despite being a raging lefty, my favourite US stand-ups have always been libertarian in their worldview - Carlin, Pryor, Hicks, Stanhope, Burr.  The best US comedy show of the last two decades - South Park - is written from a libertarian point of view that I completely disagree with.

'Fuck the maid in my own bed?  That's a lay-up' & 'that dude should be unloading truck in Transylvania' are still funny to me though.  The American Libertarian right has some funny bastards in it - I just wouldn't want them anywhere near political power.

MortSahlFan

Carlin, Pryor, Hicks, Stanhope, Burr are not all libertarians... Maybe Doug.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on September 12, 2019, 11:09:54 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it too.  I find Burr funny - but I don't agree with his take / view on the world.  He's an American Conservative - not too much to love there.  His famous Schwarzenegger bit sums it up for me - it's seven or eight minutes where I laugh like a drain, but agree with almost no part of the premise; that we cannot judge those who are seen to achieve high status or office because we don't understand their lives, nor could we do it ourselves.  Nor does achieving power in a country not of their birth do much for me - it's something achieved by Stalin, Hitler & Napoleon, and I'm pretty sure I can criticise them.  Truth be told, despite being a raging lefty, my favourite US stand-ups have always been libertarian in their worldview - Carlin, Pryor, Hicks, Stanhope, Burr.  The best US comedy show of the last two decades - South Park - is written from a libertarian point of view that I completely disagree with.

See, I don't know if I'd call Burr a conservative, or many of the others you mentioned "libertarian" in any particularly conservative form.  People like Carlin, Hicks and Stanhope (despite formerly identifying as libertarian) espouse traditionally liberal viewpoints far more often than anything approaching conservative - and with the latter two that's usually more along the lines of being pro-drugs/-smoking.  In Carlin's case, I dunno, criticizing PC language?  In my experience, they're pretty indistinguishable from the majority of left-wingers I knew pre-social media.  Stanhope has bits that are pro-choice, pro-immigration, pro-mental healthcare, pro-gay, anti-war ... all of which are viewpoints that cross over between some liberals and some libertarians.  Where would Louis CK fall on that spectrum?  I'd be interested to hear more about what you think.

Bennett Brauer

Burr's take on the world often seems all over the place. I'd say he was anti-bullshit and prone to comic exaggeration, sometimes on the money and often off the mark, and I think he knows that. I think his anger issues and dislike of a certain kind of woman are real, but he takes the piss out of himself for them in a way that makes me laugh.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on September 13, 2019, 12:40:04 AM
Burr's take on the world often seems all over the place. I'd say he was anti-bullshit and prone to comic exaggeration, sometimes on the money and often off the mark, and I think he knows that. I think his anger issues and dislike of a certain kind of woman are real, but he takes the piss out of himself for them in a way that makes me laugh.

Yeah, he doesn't seem like a bad person at all, which is partly why I think he "gets away" with some of the things he says (also in no small part because he genuinely doesn't seem worried about criticism - I can't imagine him ever groveling, which makes him somewhat bulletproof as far as online outrage goes).  I think Patrice O'Neal was kind of similar, and he was far more "the real deal" as far as outright misogyny goes.

If anything, I think the reason Chapelle's starting to get more heat is because he's also presenting himself as a bit holier-than-thou ... as well as physically marveling at his own brilliance.  It leaves a more bitter taste.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 13, 2019, 12:46:19 AM
Yeah, he doesn't seem like a bad person at all, which is partly why I think he "gets away" with some of the things he says (also in no small part because he genuinely doesn't seem worried about criticism - I can't imagine him ever groveling, which makes him somewhat bulletproof as far as online outrage goes).  I think Patrice O'Neal was kind of similar, and he was far more "the real deal" as far as outright misogyny goes.

If anything, I think the reason Chapelle's starting to get more heat is because he's also presenting himself as a bit holier-than-thou ... as well as physically marveling at his own brilliance.  It leaves a more bitter taste.
Excellent point about Bill's likability. People know he has a good heart.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 13, 2019, 12:46:19 AM

I think Chappelle got more heat because more people watched his special. Those who will criticise Burr don't really know or care about what he's really like as a person. As someone has illustrated above, they will just hear the bad takes they don't like and dismiss it.