Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the Garlic Bread bit funny

Started by madhair60, August 30, 2019, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GARLIC BREAD? Garlic... bread?? Am I 'earin y'right? GARLIC? AND BREAD?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
9 (18%)
Heh.
8 (16%)
Heard it mate.
5 (10%)
Ugh
0 (0%)
DIE NOW
7 (14%)
An tSaoi
5 (10%)
WHY HAVE YOU MADE SO MANY PETER KAY THREADS
16 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 50

madhair60

I personally think that it remains funny

DrGreggles

Icehaven

It's one of those catchphrases where the context is disappearing into the mists of time and half the people saying it will either have forgotten the rest of the line or didn't know it in the first place, just that it involves going ''garlic bread!!'' in a husky Northern accent for some reason (and may or may not know/remember it's Peter Kay.) See also ''Not a Lot'', ''I'm free'' and ''Now then Now then'' (which my boyfriend's 15 year old daughter said the other day, which prompted concern until it transpired she didn't even know who Jimmy Savile was. Seriously, never heard of him.)

sevendaughters

Rang false to me at the time. I'm from 10 miles from Peter Kay and approx the same social background (for clarity: my dad is a club compere like Gerry 'The Saint' St. Clair and Phoenix Nights felt very real as much as anything). That said I knew what garlic bread was and never really queried it, as did a lot of people. We had it at lunch at primary school. Unless there's an aspect to the joke I am not getting, other than not having foreseen a particular flavour combination. Like I suppose there is some humour in the repetition of the "garlic. bread?" thing but it's too far down a road of not having laughed.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 30, 2019, 11:59:49 AM
Rang false to me at the time. I'm from 10 miles from Peter Kay and approx the same social background (for clarity: my dad is a club compere like Gerry 'The Saint' St. Clair and Phoenix Nights felt very real as much as anything). That said I knew what garlic bread was and never really queried it, as did a lot of people. We had it at lunch at primary school. Unless there's an aspect to the joke I am not getting, other than not having foreseen a particular flavour combination. Like I suppose there is some humour in the repetition of the "garlic. bread?" thing but it's too far down a road of not having laughed.

Same (my dad wasn't a club compere, mind.) I think much of its success is down to its pleasing rhythm, catchiness and the fact it's easy to recreate.

As icehaven illustrated, the way it's becoming disconnected from context, yet remains recognisable bears this out.

pigamus

If the routine were about his grandad, it would make more sense. For his dad not to have heard of garlic bread just seems bizarre.

bigfatheart

I do feel like people who say it's unlikely that his father wouldn't have heard of garlic bread are forgetting that, even though his humour's observational, he's still telling jokes and not a no-holds-barred account of his life with not a single detail changed. The point is that his Dad's so set in his ways that something as common as garlic bread seems exotic. It's exaggeration for comic effect. If it was something genuinely exotic that his father was balking at, it wouldn't be a joke, you'd just say "yeah, fair enough, he probably hasn't eaten foie gras".

That being said, it's not really that funny and it certainly wasn't funny enough to become a career-defining catchphrase and calling card.

sevendaughters

Maybe so. The servers of the garlic bread (my parents) think it is hilarious. Maybe they just see it on other levels!

sponk

Yeah it was hilarious. Kay's timing and delivery of that line as Max is brilliant and does ringtrue. I'm sure there are people like him who still haven't heard of garlic bread. While working in various dead end jobs I've met guys of about Max's age and background who've never heard of espresso (or a French press), sauerkraut, chilli sauce and various other standard food items that I brought in to work. You have to be pretty solipsistic or just heavily sheltered from the real world if you think it's impossible.

Eta I knew one guy who, despite living his whole life in a northern town, had never heard of Peter Kay or Phoenix Nights.

Famous Mortimer

I'm also from the North, am roughly the same age as Kay, and the bit rang very true with me. Not sure my Dad ever ate garlic bread. It's also very funny.

pigamus

Quote from: sponk on August 30, 2019, 12:48:25 PM
You have to be pretty solipsistic or just heavily sheltered from the real world if you think it's impossible.

I never said it was impossible, dick'ead.

QuoteEta

About five minutes.

dr_christian_troy

Captain Z

Not forgetting it is accompanied by "cheese... cake?!" which I think is funny because I avoided trying cheesecake for many years simply because of that logic.

Beagle 2

But... the joke wouldn't have been a joke if it was something that was actually unusual to anybody.

Yeah, it's still funny. As soon as your actual dad starts saying it back to you with a grin on his face it's died, but it's still a decent enough bit and a perfect choice of product.

PlanktonSideburns

I don't think it's beyond the realms to imagine his dads just a bit thick and either never noticed or even forgot the concept of garliced bread?

Isn't that the joke? That his dad's a spectacularly thick cut?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 30, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
I don't think it's beyond the realms to imagine his dads just a bit thick and either never noticed or even forgot the concept of garliced bread?

Isn't that the joke? That his dad's a spectacularly thick cut?
To me, it was both that his dad was a bit thick, but had also led a very sheltered life. I think the bit was in context of his parents' first holiday abroad?

PlanktonSideburns

Never seen it before but sounds like a good joke

thenoise

checkoutgirl

Quote from: madhair60 on August 30, 2019, 11:45:17 AM
I personally think that it remains funny

It was mildly amusing 20 years ago but has since passed into a kind of cultural phenomenon where even your grandmother has probably heard of it. It's still funny for people in nursing homes, the bewildered and people who only watch comedy once every 3 years by complete accident. For everyone else it's either ironically funny or just mildly annoying.

Cheese? Cake? on the other hand is pure gold.

kalowski

sponk

Look forward to Mr Kay's new routine about ignorance regarding Muslim breads. "Rumali???...Roti???"

Got a feeling we'll be waiting a while to see him make a joke like that wonder why 🤔🤔🤔

mr. logic

Isn't the joke the absolute normalcy of the food though? And how that heightens the ignorance

Twed

It has been robbed of all humour now, but to me the funniest part of it was that his dad was sort of saying "oh, they're garlicing BREAD now?" as if it's something that has got entirely out of hand.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: sponk on August 30, 2019, 06:03:39 PM
Look forward to Mr Kay's new routine about ignorance regarding Muslim breads. "Rumali???...Roti???"

Got a feeling we'll be waiting a while to see him make a joke like that wonder why 🤔🤔🤔
Because it would be very similar to his most famous routine, and even he's unlikely to copy himself to such an extent?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on August 30, 2019, 02:41:02 PM
Raoul Moat

Say what you want about his later work, but Cool Raoul's earlier stuff with Jonski and Man Parrish was flawless.

pigamus

Quote from: sponk on August 30, 2019, 06:03:39 PM

You looking for an Eta on that?

Replies From View

It is hilarious because you can't possibly imagine a world in which garlic and bread could ever both be food, let alone mixed together in some form of recipe

kalowski

Do you know what "garlic bread" is in Italian?

fetta di pane spalmata di burro all'aglio e riscaldata