Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:44:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the Garlic Bread bit funny

Started by madhair60, August 30, 2019, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GARLIC BREAD? Garlic... bread?? Am I 'earin y'right? GARLIC? AND BREAD?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
9 (18%)
Heh.
8 (16%)
Heard it mate.
5 (10%)
Ugh
0 (0%)
DIE NOW
7 (14%)
An tSaoi
5 (10%)
WHY HAVE YOU MADE SO MANY PETER KAY THREADS
16 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 30, 2019, 06:43:52 PM
Because it would be very similar to his most famous routine, and even he's unlikely to copy himself to such an extent?

And also, what would be the point of the joke? That Peter Kay, a white man from Bolton, thinks it's inherently funny that he isn't familiar with breads primarily consumed by Muslims? Kay may be a bit of a prick, but he's not - I presume - racist, so it would never even occur to him to build a routine around that subject.

The query says more about the person who posited it than Kay himself.

idunnosomename

Quote from: kalowski on September 02, 2019, 07:26:02 PM
Do you know what "garlic bread" is in Italian?

fetta di pane spalmata di burro all'aglio e riscaldata
LIKE-A DA MAMA USED-A TA MAKE-A! *chef kiss*

Cuellar

Actually having a bite of cheddar after a bit of e.g. victoria sponge is a very nice and interesting way to enjoy cake

Shit Good Nose

I remember laughing at it when I first saw it, but that was when it was first on TV and I haven't seen it since, so who knows what I'd think now (yes, I've seen the clip numerous times since, but as someone said earlier in the thread it's basically now just a one-liner taken out of its original context).

But the wedding DJ bit was always his peak moment for me.  Absolutely killed me the first time I saw that.

Replies From View

Knock knock who's there garlic bread

garlic bread who!!!!!!

Lol good punchline there well done Peter Kay

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Cuellar on September 03, 2019, 10:26:39 AM
Actually having a bite of cheddar after a bit of e.g. victoria sponge is a very nice and interesting way to enjoy cake

Cheese and jam sandwiches are great. Best with crumbly Lancashire.

Where did "Garlic bread?" first appear? Standup or Phoenix Nights?

Twed

I like reading this thread title and imagining there's a bit of garlic bread on a table and madhair keeps nodding towards it and asking people at the table if they find that bit of bread funny.

Gurke and Hare

dissolute ocelot

Tony Tony Tony

According to the Love Food website

British wariness of garlic, as characterised by Peter Kay's dad, and Mrs Beeton's remarks that "the smell of this plant was generally considered offensive," began to give way after food writer Elizabeth David popularised Mediterranean food in the mid 20th century. David's efforts were followed by the bistro food boom in 70s Britain, and was compounded by cheap package holidays which exposed millions of Brits to garlic and other southern European delights.

Many of us had our first taste of garlic bread at a chain like Pizza Hut or Pizza Express in the 80s or 90s, the latter offering the arguably posher garlic 'dough balls'.

I am a similar age, also from the same social and geographic background to Peter Kay. I recall my Father refusing to eat a Vesta Curry (the Chinese ones with the curly noodles you used to fry up separately) on the grounds that it was new fangled foreign muck in late the 70s. Unfortunately I didn't have the nous to work 'Curry and Noodles?' into a comic catchphrase.

However the real reason for posting is so I can trot out my two Peter Kay anecdotes...

First one, I used to step out with a girl who was manageress at the Bingo Hall from where Peter Kay was sacked. She confirmed that he did indeed put industrial strength washing up liquid in a dishwasher resulting in an Ibiza style foam party (as mentioned in his first book). Though the real reason(s) he got the push was an accrual of formal warnings for various misdemeanors which could best be described as being a bit of a cunt disruptive annoyance the most serious being interrupting the Bingo calling... anyone who has been in a northern working mens club during a session knows this is a capital offence. She should know as it was her that issued most of the warnings and she opined that he was a nightmare of an employee.

Secondly, and more recently, my Mother (the one who served up the ill thought of curry and noodles) has photographic evidence that he is deffo alive and well at least up to a couple of weeks ago. She was in a local posh eaterie with a pal when Bolton's finest came in at sat behind her. She got her friend to take a snap and she leaned out of the way so obviously that Kay clocked the subterfuge and came over. He spent a good few minutes chatting to both ladies and was charm personified. But then again both are most certainly in his core demographic and he knows which side his garlic bread is buttered on.

I have a copy of the photo and instead of posting it am willing to show it to anyone who meets me round the back of the bike sheds after school  for a very reasonable rate.     

sponk

Interesting post, TTT. The last point about him only being nice to them because they're in his core demographic seems like a bit of a leap, though.

Dr Rock

The bit is nonsense, by the turn of the century every 50 year old in the country was a sophisticated lover of all cuisines.

Tony Tony Tony

In response to my post about my Mothers snap of Peter Kay I have had a number of requests to see the pic. I have tried to send it via PM but not sure it has been successful.

So, having checked with her she has said she is happy to be viewed by Cabbers with the proviso that y'all declare her to look nowhere near her real age.

https://ibb.co/VwQmDKC

kalowski

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 04, 2019, 07:46:32 PM
In response to my post about my Mothers snap of Peter Kay I have had a number of requests to see the pic. I have tried to send it via PM but not sure it has been successful.

So, having checked with her she has said she is happy to be viewed by Cabbers with the proviso that y'all declare her to look nowhere near her real age.

DEAD SOON!

Peter Kay, not your mum

sponk

Imagine being Peter Kay and living in Bolton.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 04, 2019, 07:46:32 PM

He looks like he's taking a forlorn selfie. Such sadness in his eyes.

Your mum, by contrast, looks like a nice, happy, healthy person. She wins.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 04, 2019, 11:35:15 PM

Your mum, by contrast, looks like a nice, happy, healthy person. She wins.

I reckon he was looking at a text from his accountant with the latest estimate of lost earnings from the tour that didnt happen tour.

Either that or his starter arrived with garlic bread he didnt order.

H-O-W-L

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 04, 2019, 11:35:15 PM

Perhaps it's Lee Lard.

Dr Rock

One of Bolton's finest comedians? Who are the others?

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 05, 2019, 11:26:24 AM
One of Bolton's finest comedians? Who are the others?

Who could forget Hilda Baker, Bernard Wrigley or the late lamented Bob Williamson?

https://youtu.be/iCF693HA_40

Incidentally I have a Bob Williamson anecdote to share if anyone is interested... it is quite sad and I don't really want to bring the tone of this thread down (well any more than it is already).

kngen

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 04, 2019, 01:20:14 PM
According to the Love Food website

British wariness of garlic, as characterised by Peter Kay's dad, and Mrs Beeton's remarks that "the smell of this plant was generally considered offensive," began to give way after food writer Elizabeth David popularised Mediterranean food in the mid 20th century. David's efforts were followed by the bistro food boom in 70s Britain, and was compounded by cheap package holidays which exposed millions of Brits to garlic and other southern European delights.

Many of us had our first taste of garlic bread at a chain like Pizza Hut or Pizza Express in the 80s or 90s, the latter offering the arguably posher garlic 'dough balls'.

You could definitely buy pre-made frozen garlic bread that you stuck in the oven for 15 mins from Presto or Safeway in the early 80s, as I remember it being a 'bit of a treat' if my mum made pasta for dinner, and that would be the accompaniment. But yes, garlic itself barely existed in Britain before that. Watch The Sweeney and see how often they mention 'garlic': a lot less often than you'd expect for cosmopolitan types like Carter and Regan.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 05, 2019, 11:52:04 AM
Who could forget Hilda Baker, Bernard Wrigley or the late lamented Bob Williamson?

https://youtu.be/iCF693HA_40

Incidentally I have a Bob Williamson anecdote to share if anyone is interested... it is quite sad and I don't really want to bring the tone of this thread down (well any more than it is already).

I wouldn't mind hearing it, as long as it isn't unpleasant. Probably stating the obvious, but he was in Phoenix Nights as one of the hapless auditioners. I think he was already ill by then.

Replies From View

"Panda pops?!"

It's funny because it refers to an item of food or drink.

sponk

I think that's an oversimplification. Think about Bob's constant jokes about mundane foodstuff like chicken dippers on Athletico Mince. It shouldn't be funny, but something about his delivery and the context makes it hilarious.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on September 06, 2019, 05:04:58 PM
I wouldn't mind hearing it, as long as it isn't unpleasant. Probably stating the obvious, but he was in Phoenix Nights as one of the hapless auditioners. I think he was already ill by then.

I'm always one to give the public what they want so here goes....

I stepped out with a lady (not the one mentioned earlier BTW) who attended Bolton Institute of Technology. An educational establishment that is now the Polyversity of Lancashire or something like that. This was in the pre tuition fee days when the powers that be would award lazy layabouts free cash. BIT was well known for taking mature students and Bob W turned up in the year below her in that guise. It seems that Bob spent all his time and most of his hard earned cash well deserved student grant in the bar. He brought along his guitar most days and developed a devoted following of accolytes to such an extent that numbers at the (I am sure) excellent lectures became sparsely attended. This became such an issue that the college asked the comic crooner to desist or leave the
place. Of course he picked up his instrument and never darkened the doors of BIT again.

Who would have guessed that folks would prefer amusing songs and a beer to lectures? Surely it couldn't happen these days?

As an aside I am visiting my folks in the North West next weekend and we have booked the posh eaterie where Peter Kay was papped by my mother and her mucker. If he isn't there this confirms he is now dead (again).